Cash or Credit?

I would sooooooo rather pay cash for all of my purchases but I seem to spend too much and not keep enough discretionary cash. I only use debit cards which does nothing for my credit score but decided 4 years ago if I don’t have it I won’t spend it. But I really hate sliding that card in questionable places when I don’t have cash on hand. I’m probably 50/50 on card vs cash

We've all seen those ads on TV by companies the likes of National Debt Relief appealing to credit card abusers. I saw one of their clients on TV (now debt free) proudly posing and holding a $4K Gibson Hummingbird. Nice!
Nice it isn't. Disgusting is what it is. Far too many people abuse credit card use, rack up debt far beyond their ability to repay what is essentially a loan, and reach out to "debt relief" agencies.

Re: CC v. debit card

So correct me if I am wrong. I'm a bit of a dinosaur and things may very likely have changed.

I have always stayed right the fuck away from debit cards because it is a back door into your bank and whatever you have there.

Credit cards are a 3rd party, separate from the important bits (you and yer bank) and a level of protection a bank debit card does not give you.

Yes/no, goddam dinosaur outlook...what?

So correct me if I am wrong. I'm a bit of a dinosaur and things may very likely have changed.

I have always stayed right the fuck away from debit cards because it is a back door into your bank and whatever you have there.

Credit cards are a 3rd party, separate from the important bits (you and yer bank) and a level of protection a bank debit card does not give you.

I think you're right. Interestingly (or not), I've never had a bad experience with credit cards.

I had a bank ATM card compromised last year. The bank issued me a debit card as a replacement. I was dubious. Sure enough, 6 months later, the debit card was compromised. What is extremely curious is that the one and only place I ever used the ATM card and debit card is at my bank. Nowhere else. They couldn't deny that the problem was internal to the bank itself when I called it to their attention.

Mine is a City employee (former) credit union. with a single municipal office that still know me (and practically everyone) by name and pic in file when you walk in. I’ve never had a problem but I can’t use Zelle

It’s not infallible as nothing digital is but there are daily max limits and I get calls from an active fraud detection when untraveled and use it. It’s a good thang.

I’ve been thinking about opening another national chain account for business other than my business CU acct just for convenience. In that case I will oblige on the bank’s credit card and deny possession of a debit card, as well as keep the account as a minimal business overflow. Had that before the divorce a few years ago but had to clean it out and shut it down during ‘discovery’.

Last edited:

Good points but never put all of your eggs into one (seemingly secure) basket

Well duh. :unsure: j/k

Seriously though that should go without saying yeah? I only have one bank but I have multiple accounts and my personal is separate from business and my investment stuff isn't in either.
It does and maybe it’s the weed and wine lethargizing my comprehension. But,!I’ve never had a problem with debit at my credit union. Bank debit cards in the past? Yeah

Interestingly, I'm working at the PGA Championship this weekend. Everything there is cashless.

I remember when I worked at the Ryder Cup in 2008. Everything was marked so that it was exact dollars when tax was included, but they did accept cash. If you bought a towel, it was $18.87 and $1.13 tax, so $20. Probably 95% of the people just used a card, but a few would hand you a bill. Of course being an international event, there were a lot of people from other countries, so it's very convenient not to worry about exchanging money from euros or pesos to dollars.

That was 16 years ago. It doesn't work like that anymore... you just scan your card for everything.

"Sorry, your money's no good here!"

Interestingly, I'm working at the PGA Championship this weekend. Everything there is cashless.

I remember when I worked at the Ryder Cup in 2008. Everything was marked so that it was exact dollars when tax was included, but they did accept cash. If you bought a towel, it was $18.87 and $1.13 tax, so $20. Probably 95% of the people just used a card, but a few would hand you a bill. Of course being an international event, there were a lot of people from other countries, so it's very convenient not to worry about exchanging money from euros or pesos to dollars.

That was 16 years ago. It doesn't work like that anymore... you just scan your card for everything.

"Sorry, your money's no good here!"
For big spenders it works beautifully without fear. For those of us who don’t have enough recovery cash without selling something valuable, we may be a little more cautious with chips tied to bank accounts. I’ll snap a shot of my first gold chunklet when I pull the trigger and buy it.
Don’t you pirate motherfuckers be coming around and trying to dig it up n shit 😡

For big spenders it works beautifully without fear. For those of us who don’t have enough recovery cash without selling something valuable, we may be a little more cautious with chips tied to bank accounts. I’ll snap a shot of my first gold chunklet when I pull the trigger and buy it.
Don’t you pirate motherfuckers be coming around and trying to dig it up n shit 😡
There are any sizes available in 24k form and weight you want. Big plunge but may start with a 1 0z chunk, like a savings acct

I’m not rich and don’t even have a permanent home to call my own right now, but have been thinking about this investment. Any gold hoarders out there or am I completely nuts on this? Kind of still on topic but deviating a bit. Damn weed 😐

After Bank of America and Chase sold out and destroyed people's lives by giving up their bank records (voluntarily, without a subpoena) I try to use cash as much as possible now. It's nobody's business how, when, and why I spend my money.

I like the concept of bartering for goods and services like times of yore.

I’ll play for your tavern but need a new pair of shoes and lodging/meals for a night.

Except that I’d end up shoeless and starving on the streets lol

After Bank of America and Chase sold out and destroyed people's lives by giving up their bank records (voluntarily, without a subpoena) I try to use cash as much as possible now. It's nobody's business how, when, and why I spend my money.
I have inside stories about Commerce Bank and their quick rise to fame before poor management and those internal antics got them absorbed by TD Bank. I was working for Kimley-Horn and Associates, Inc. at the time and we were instructed to smile and keep our mouths shut at the internal farces. They were fucking hilarious from the original Prez NE coast, his architect wife and her personality(ies) until the day the Board of Directors put an end to all of the malarkey and subsequent buyout by TD shortly after. Commerce Bank was a HUGE cash cow for us

My current financial institution is a municipal employee-only (including former and their families). There are disadvantages but it is safe and that’s what matters most to me.

Back