Carvin's new CM-87S

I almost all the way with you Fishmed. But, Fender does make some amps that sound exceptional, but, they usually sound best for funk, jazz, and blues styles. But when you are looking for the heavy stuff, look no farther than Marshall's and Boogies.

Although, I am not as fond of the newer Boogies as the old ones. They are a lot easier to get a decent enough tone on, but the old ones just had a heavyness in the tone that the new ones just don't have. But you had to really mess with them to get that tone. I don't know why, but you just had to mess with it a lot to get it.

With Marshalls, they are a little different story to use. With anything newer by them, it is important to get the right speaker with it. Like a JCM 900 sounds absolutely phat with the 1960 cabinet!!! This is a pure midrange dream and records extremely well on tape. All that Love Lode stuff I recorded used this combo, along with my G&L S 500 strat, and on a few songs my Mark Colbertsen Custom made strat (Mark is a local guy that makes necks for some very big named guitar players. His instruments are dreams to play and listen to).

David1, you are new around here, so I can excuse your misinformation. Maybe you can provide us all with some links to your recordings so I can take a listen to this "killer Carvin" sound you get. My website has several mp3's available for download of my work, much of it using guitars that I own or I have mentioned in this thread.

As to being a kid, I guess that if you where like 80 yrs old, I would be a kid. All that aside, I have a very long history in sound related work. Have done live and studio engineering for over 12 years now. I played in my first band about 18 years ago. I have written songs that where published and some that enjoyed top 10 airplay on Hard Rock stations in the LA and Bay Area stations back in the mid 80's. I currently mix sound for many Grammy winning artist's that come through Portland Oregon.

Not bad for a "kid". And no need to "debate" with this kid. You may find my opinions strongly stated, and you may not even agree with them, but you will not gain my respect for your opinions until you can provide recordings that you have done where I can asses that you even know what sounds good. I have pretty good ears (for an older guy).

Ed Rei
Echo Star Studio www.echostarstudio.com

I have just never heard an adult use the language you use. "Carvin sucks man !"
This to me sounds like something a child would say.
Your posts are very juvenile and are quite funny to me but what do I know right?
I'm new around here.

may i interject here, before we all become children? aside from anything "sucking", which IMHO is not always a bad thing, has anyone had any good experience they can relate about carvin PA speakers and PA amplifiers? i was interested in them, because $260 is cheap for a 15" with horn, at least from what i've seen.

Yes I am into the heavy stuff. I guess that is why I like certain amps over others. I don't know if I will get hell for this, but I would put ADA preamps/amps into that category with Marshall and Messa Boogie. I know that they are not "Top of the Line", but they still kick.

There's so many budget mics on the market now ... I would be extremely cautious about jumping in with an unknown mic manufacturer. Great ... just what we need ... another mic manufacturer throwing their hat in the mic arena to just confuse matters more. The list of these budget mics just keeps getting longer and longer.
I'd stick with companies that have been specializing in quality mics (of the budget variety) that have been proven in recording applications ... like AKG or AT.

Also, side note ...
I have to admit I'm getting a little down on this BBS recently ... it just seems that every other post turns into some kind of pissing contest with Sonusman.

Just curious Ed, what grammy award winning bands have you mixed for? And what songs have u written that have gotten airplay?

Ed, Your the coolest......................Is that what you're wanting to hear. I can't reach your back or I would pat it.

KingNothing:

Are you trying to start trouble again? Is that a set-up question?

Or was that really a sincere question?

If the latter of the two, please accept my apology. If not, fuck-off!

You all know why I'm asking.

Ed. This is not a pat on the back, this is: I got your back.

Hey Recording Engineer, no problem. You are a good guy to have watching my back... :)

Okay Kingnothing, a very fair question. That kind of info is and always has been available on my website.

So, I am interested. Can anyone point me towards a recording that was done with these "rated amoung the best" Carvin guitars? As with everything in audio, the proof is in the pudding. I used my experience with mixing national artists as a way of pointing out that I have never seen a Carvin guitar on stage with any of these artists. I have far from seen every musical act out their, but I have seen quite a few, and have yet to see Carvin anything.

I am looking for informed opinions. I offer mine.

I will take back my earlier statement that "Carvin sucks" and change it to "Carvin has not been associated with productions and/or artists recordings that many would say sound good. Thus, this suggests that their gear may not offer the type of sound that discriminating ears would like to hear".

Who knows, maybe the "new" sound in music will incorporate Carvin in a big way!!! :eek

Ed

[This message has been edited by sonusman (edited 04-07-2000).]

I hate doing quotes ... but you had to know this one was going to come back at ya :)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sonusman:
"Carvin has not been associated with productions and/or artists recordings that many would say sound good. Thus, this suggests that their gear may not offer the type of sound that discriminating ears would like to hear".
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know ... maybe I'm naieve ... but
http://www.carvin.com/carvlinx.html

Either these endorsements are all bullshit or there is some kind of conspiracy among these artists. Maybe they only put their names on this gear for the money. But, I sure wouldn't put my name on crap gear ... and I'm a nobody who need the cash! I do know that Steve Vai has been using Carvin amps for years even when he played with Frank Zappa. He now uses his signature Legacy amp made by Carvin. Listen to some of his samples on his site
http://www.vai.com/SightsSounds/sounds.html

... that is a Carvin and I think it sounds great!
I bet you I could make a Carvin anything sound good. Maybe not good enough for Ed, but probably good enough for the rest of the world. :D

What about the bass player for the eagles,can't rember his name right now he's always in their catalog holding a carvin bass, but I really dont know if he plays the damm thing or not. I have used a carvin 15 monitor live before (someone else's) and it held up pretty well, but not as well as JBL!! I bet their new mic sux though!

And I guess Alan holdworth doesn't know tone
either. Frank Zappa played Carvin amps for years but What did he know about tone?
oh and I suppose guitar player magazine, (you the one that does nothing but test and review new guitars all year round.) doesn't know tone either
A quote from their review of the carvin AE135
"the quality and sounds of this guitar are nothing short of amazing"
and the fact that the TL60T won GP 1993 guitar shootout of 32 guitars means nothing to Ed.
Yep Carvin sux. Eds knows,
Everybody else is wrong.

Hey Ed. Iv got other guitars too.
Want to know what my favorite one is?
Ready for this? Its a PEAVEY ! That's right Ed. A good ole mass produced made in usa PEAVEY WOLFGANG SPECIAL and you know what else Ed ? It sounds better than every lespaul I'v played and I play it proudly.

You can keep buying those overpriced gibsons and fenders (which are made with the same machines Peavey invented 20 years) and leave the carvins and peaveys for the rest of us.
Im not a follower anyway.

Rock on Ed and keep your chin up. The Ed bashing wont last much longer. just remember its important to know what you are talking about before you start yapping.
Good luck

Hey David1, you the man!!! Man, you showed me!!! Boy, all this bashing sure has got me down!!! My, I just can't live with it any longer. LOL...bravo!!!

Yes dude, I will rock on. I will rock on with instruments that are made from woods that are selected before the Carvin, or for that matter Fender or Gibson buyers have a shot at it, and are hand crafted. And you can play your production line junkies.

If you think all the artist's you named are playing guitars off the production line like your's, well, I have another bridge to sell you. You DO NOT have the same guitar they have.

Ed

Oh yes. The old magic voodoo guitar factory.
Yes, I have indeed heard of it. This is where they make the Real guitars for the stars yes?
This is where they sprinkle magic dust on the pickups of Eddie Vanhalens personal wolfgangs (while selling us that crappy production version) and this is where all of Alan Holsworths personal carvin guitars are made (Iv heard aliens from area 51 helped carvin in their design of these guitars. That would help explain why his sound so good but the version sold to the public sounds so bad)
Yes I'v heard of this magic voodoo factory before.
I bet Alan, Eddie, Santana.steve via and all the rest sit around laughing at us fools for buying what "we think" are the same guitars they play.
Yes sir, They must all be having a good laugh. Those Basterds! I'm bringing my wolfgang back.

By the way Ed, What guitars to you think are still made by hand?

Just about anything out of the manufactures customs shops, where the stars get theirs. You don't have to believe it, but it's true. I have a little inside info into this as one of my biggest live sound clients is a Fender (and Peavey..yuk!) dealer, and also have an extensive collection of Fender custom shop guitars, all hand made (and sound like it). I have had some nice talks with the reps.

Personally, I have mine made for me. My friend who builds them works days for Gilmore Woods, who supplies Fender and Gibson custom shops with exotic woods. He gets first crack at all incoming planks, and has a collection of some of the finest woods I have ever seen. Stuff you may never see any guitar manufacture make availble. Trust me friend, this wood is much too nice for machines, and way to expensive for the average joe to afford.

I think you need to read up a bit more. I have read numerous interviews of guitar players who talk about their endorsements, and how they had to work with the manufactures custome shop people to get their guitars sounding right to them. If you are believing that these people are getting the production line stuff, you are just plain wrong. Sorry. I have read it, and have heard it from the reps.

So, while a Carvin custom shop guitar may or may not be a nice instrument, it is not what is available to you, unless you want to pay the very high sum for their custom shop to make a guitar of that quality for you. Then, maybe a Carvin would be worth owning.

By the way, I could give a rat's ass what any magazine says about any instrument. I have read too many sparkling reviews about gear that is pure junk to invest in their recommendations.

If you are happy with your Peavey, well, great. You are not the first. Same with Carvin, or Kramers for that matter. Hell, some like their Ibenez's. Use it. Enjoy it. It don't matter one bit to me. I will continue to purue custom shop instruments, and local custom made instruments, and also enjoy the more reputable production line stuff that is all the rage.

All in all, most every recording you hear guitars on will be using a Fender and/or Gibson. They ARE the sound. If you think yours is better, good for you. Have at it. Let me hear a recording so you can show off that great tone it has.

So enough about guitars.

I am sure that Carvin is going to manage to f**k up microphones like they do so many other things concerning audio. That IS what we where talking about originally.

Ed

Just one more thing about guitars if you dont mind.

You've heard of Tom Anderson guitars I am sure. These are high end guitars that start at $2500.
Read what he has to say about "hand made" guitars. You think PRS makes his guitars by hand? Think again..Please read on

HC: What types of milling and/or hand work are used in your guitars?

Anderson: We love technology around here, because technology can make parts better. We definitely blend old and new. We have a CNC [computer controlled milling machine] that we got in '88, so it's not a new thing for us. We do all our routing, drilling . . . it's stuff that if you do it with other methods I would call tedious dog work. If we want precision, we do it on the CNC machine. Then that part goes to hands that do all the fine detail work on it. The stuff you feel, the smooth shaping and sanding [is done by hand]. My core body for instance spends about fifteen minutes on a CNC machine and then two and a half hours worth of hand work is done to it. ***I hear a lot of "hand made is better than machine made," and I don't really know what hand made is. No matter how you make something you use tools.*** I think if Leo Fender had a CNC machine back in 1954 he would have used it. This CNC machine that we bought has become the standard. Since we bought it, Taylor came up and looked at it and now they have eleven of them at their place. PRS has four of them. It's the machine that you use to make guitars now.

Ed,
I suppose You would prefer a carpenter to build a house using hand tools instead of power tools. A house built with power tools has no soul.
Its the year 2000 friend. Join us wont you. Oh I cant finish without telling you what the late great Leo fender had to say about his new guitars compared to his old ones.
"They are not even close. The guitars we build today(with G&L) are so far ahead of the old ones you cant even compare"

I guess Old Leo doesn't know what He's talking about either.

Back