Carvin powered PA speakers

The wood box cab has it all over the plastic model ... Resonance/amount of air in the cab/etc. ... all of the usual suspects.

Well, yeah, that's a given, Henry. But when you just need low-medium volume, portability and good price, are the 12" Carvin's better or worse than equivalents like the Mackie Thump 12 or the Behringer 12"?

No one else? I wish I could find anyone with more experience with low-end low-volume PA speakers!
Qualifications: light weight, decent volume for small places with clear sound for acoustic guitars/voices.
I've seen people using monster 15" cabinets, others using mid-price Mackies and EV 12", etc. Most times those overkill for the rooms.

There was a guy here a few months ago who bought some Harbingers (yuk!) who said they sounded great with his band practicing. Never came back to tell us how they worked for gigs (I'm thinking because they sounded like crap).

Probably not exactly low end', I went with a pair of EV ZX-3 mains and ZX-1's for monitors. More 'mid level as things go I suppose. But mainly I wanted to at least end up with a reasonable amount of fidelity and head room for my little rig.
Anywhoo.. The little zx-1's are really nice vocal and mid instrument monitors (I HPF at about 100hz), very easy to set up with little to no feedback eq needed. Either box goes loud enough for what they're intended to do. The 12 inchers will want a sub of course if you're running kick and bass.

I'd like to hear their speakers, the only Carvin here is their one space 4-ch eq430, does most of the filtering.

Back