Can't Record in Sonar 8.5

MAC2

I recently upgraded my OS from XP Pro SP1 to SP3 and Sonar from version 4 to 8.5. I have two Aardvark Q10's that worked fine in Sonar 4. Now with 8.5 I can play and process audio but Sonar does not see or record input sound from the Q10's. The Q10's are operating correctly as I can hear input sound through my monitors and headphones but Sonar apparently doesn't "see" it to record. Windows device manager shows the Q10's are working properly. Sonar also "sees" the Aardvark card(s) and they are properly listed and functioning in the Options/Audio dialog.

Also the SPDIF out on the Q10(s) isn't carrying output sound from Sonar either. A "tone" test of the Aardvark SPDIF connections show them to be in good working order.

The output of the SPDIF connection isn't as big an issue as not being able to record audio from the Q10's inputs. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If I'm following correctly:

You say that Sonar recognizes the Q10's in the Options/Audio, but when you try and select them in the Track Input dropdown they're not appearing?

Are you (can you) run ASIO?

All 16 inputs (20 if you count the SPDIF) appear in the drop down Sonar input menus.....and yes, I'm using the ASIO drivers in "turbo mode". In other words everything appears to be normal with the Aardvark(s) and Sonar but I can not record an input signal and the input signal does not show up in Sonar's meters.

c7sus:

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately it didn't make any difference. If there is anything else you can think of checking please let me know. I haven't given up yet...

Try installing the Aardvark again in Sonar.

As in delete it entirely and do the setup again with the Wave Profiler function in Sonar.

Also, what are your playback/record timing master settings in Options > Audio > General tab?

Last edited:
c7sus & BentRabbit:

Just want to thank you both for your replies. I managed to get it all up and running! I ended up re-enabling the on-board integrated sound card and adjusting the preferences/levels on that (per the Sonar 8.5 manual...duh!). I then turned off the computer and disconnected the PCI cables to the Q10's. I re-started the computer and was able to get into the Aardvark dialog for setting preferences and I set my choices. I again shut down the computer and then re-connected the Q10 PCI cables. Started the box back up again and we're back in business! Thanks again!!

Back