can you help me figure out this microphone?

hi. to me it sounds different at 3 minutes when he sings loud.

or if it's the same throughout, can anyone help give an idea of what type of mic they think he is using and if it's reverb on the vocal? if it's reverb do you think it's natural reverb? they also sound kind of warbly to me like maybe the tape is slowed, but his guitar is exactly 1 step flat which implies that noise isn't the tape slowed down. maybe it's just tape wow and flutter?

I guess this song i need help understanding, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztURk0_DOg

i like the sound of the recording is that a lot of reverb? some things sound so distant. actually everything does

That one certainly has some distortion on the vocal, as well as reverb.
Pretty much any distortion plugin will get you close. If you don't have one you could run the vocal through a guitar amp or sim in parallel to the original, then blend in the distorted copy to taste.

On the first song it's pretty much the same thing. I listened again and I think the effect is just more pronounced around 3:00 because he raises pitch and volume quite a lot.
The reverb would certainly be more noticeable doing that, just like a delay is more noticeable if you suddenly stop singing.

thanks that was super helpful. now i just need to figure out how to run them parallel.

It's hard to get that sound. All ya need is a fabulous singer who can sing beautifully and a wonderfully in tune acoustic guitar played at genius level. There ya go. Problem solved.

I'm called "Pesky" for a reason.

Last edited:
It's easy to get that sound. All ya need is a terrible singer who can barely sing at all and an out of tune acoustic guitar played at beginners level. There ya go, problem solved.

i dunno that's like sarcasm or anger that doesn't answer the question at all.

plus he won 5 grammys and one for vocals

It's easy to get that sound. All ya need is a terrible singer who can barely sing at all and an out of tune acoustic guitar played at beginners level. There ya go, problem solved.

Nothing to do with microphones or effects at all.
Maybe re-read the original post?

Honestly? It sounds like an SM58 though a Shure Vocal Master PA with a spring reverb and a set of Vocal Master column speakers. All my high school gigs back in the 70s had that sound. :D

Back