Can you eat a large diaphram mic?

You could always try a hyper-cardioid mic. This will help keep out other sounds, but you won't be able to move around as much.

The Electro-Voice RE1000 is great. Very neutral, but still quite flattering. It is a MDC condenser.

Always have the mic in the quietest part of the room, aiming away from the noisiest source. This may sound obvious, but people often get into the rut of always recording in the same part of the room (routine). It is quite amazing how just moving the mic can help with eliminating noise bleed and also acoustically.

Stick on a pair of headphones, crank the mic-pre up a bit and walk around your room until you find the quietest area. Then try some vocals to make sure that the acoustic is OK.

GT said:
My recording enviroment insists that I close mic vocals, I'm talking mouth to grill.

Right now I use a dynamic mic.

Could I use a large diaphram mic in this same manor, and would there be an improvement in sound, over a dynamic?

GT

First of all, there's no difference between a dynamic and a large diaphragm mic.... there are plenty of mics which are both at the same time.

Condensers doesn't give proximity effects like described above either, it's the pickup pattern that does. Cardiod, hypercardiod and figure-of-eight give proximity while omni doesn't.

Re: Re: Can you eat a large diaphram mic?

Strange Leaf said:
First of all, there's no difference between a dynamic and a large diaphragm mic.... there are plenty of mics which are both at the same time.

Condensers doesn't give proximity effects like described above either, it's the pickup pattern that does. Cardiod, hypercardiod and figure-of-eight give proximity while omni doesn't.

Yeah but,

I would think through the magic of physics, that the larger the diaphram the larger the proximity effect, yes?

Hense, even more bass rolloff EQ would be needed?

GT

Back