Can burlap be painted?

Marcadiablo

Still a newbie
I was just wondering this. The thing is that my panels are like light brown, but I don't really like the color so much and It was the only available color at my local shop. Can it painted? If that's so, what kind of paint to use? Does it change their acoustic properties?

Burlap, like most fabrics can be painted. Would it change the acoustic properties? Probably a little, depending on how thickly you coat the burlap. If you want to go darker (color) burlap can easily be dyed, it can also be bleached to make it lighter but bleaching can weaken the fibers. If the fabric is already mounted you can change the color with ink or a strong dye solution applied with an airbrush or paint sprayer.

Hint; pre-dyed burlap can sometimes be found at an upholstry shop or good foam & fabric supply store.

Burlap, like most fabrics can be painted. Would it change the acoustic properties? Probably a little, depending on how thickly you coat the burlap. If you want to go darker (color) burlap can easily be dyed, it can also be bleached to make it lighter but bleaching can weaken the fibers. If the fabric is already mounted you can change the color with ink or a strong dye solution applied with an airbrush or paint sprayer.

Hint; pre-dyed burlap can sometimes be found at an upholstry shop or good foam & fabric supply store.
Thanks for the response. The basstraps are made and mounted. I just don't like the color on them.

Anyone with a kid can tell you, ANYTHING less than 4' off the ground can be painted, including but not limited to table legs, toilets, car tires, and dogs. :D

I don't see any problem with some LIGHT paint on burlap, ie spray paint, not brushed-on latex or something.. I'd try it, what not, what have you got to lose besides a few yards of inexpensive fabric..

I would use die from a fabric shop, Paint will clog up the holes in the fabric. You would be better off stripping the burlap of the frames as the paint/die will clog up the front surface of the insulation.

Cheers Alan.

Yea I would just find the color of burlap that you want and re fit it.

These feels like one of those times when the easy route just causes more hassle.

Back