Can anybody tell what type of guitar this is?

I think I have it figured out.
I believe this is Earl "Chinna" Smith on guitar, and he seems to always use a Gibson Les Paul. But still don't know for sure.

you're not gonna be able to tell from just that clip what kinda git it was. I could make a strat OR a gibby sound like that.
The fatness to the tone makes me think probably a paul but I could absolutely dial in the EQ to add the fatness.

It's harder to tell from just sound what the guitar was than people make it out to be.
In the 'Tone to Die For' thread I did a test with a paul, a strat, a Yammie pointy git and my Stinnett and thru the same amp settings they all sounded almost identical.

And this was on a clean setting where you can really hear the git.
It was actually shocking to me how little difference there was so I guess it really is 'all in your fingers'.

Yeah I have no clue, but I'd bet it's a humbucker guitar. There are a few tell-tale giveaways with single coils, and I'm not detecting any in that clip.

Yeah I have no clue, but I'd bet it's a humbucker guitar. There are a few tell-tale giveaways with single coils, and I'm not detecting any in that clip.

Hmmm, the attack and decay point's me towards single coil. Just shows how hard it is to ID especially from a pretty average recording..

If I had to put a better guess on it I would pick up my telecaster for comparison. Also there are two guitars on that recording. Almost certainly not the same.

Hmmm, the attack and decay point's me towards single coil. Just shows how hard it is to ID especially from a pretty average recording..

Yeah there's no telling. A better exercise would be to guess what the guitarist had for breakfast a week before recording. :D

Yeah there's no telling. A better exercise would be to guess what the guitarist had for breakfast a week before recording. :D

thanks. as I said earlier, it appears the guitarist favors a Les Paul but that doesn't mean anything. Not a big deal. I was just wondering because I liked the tone.

thanks to all!

thanks. as I said earlier, it appears the guitarist favors a Les Paul but that doesn't mean anything. Not a big deal. I was just wondering because I liked the tone.

thanks to all!

It really could be a LP. An LP with low or moderate output "PAF" style 'buckers could easily get that ska-ggae ricka ricka sound.

It really could be a LP. An LP with low or moderate output "PAF" style 'buckers could easily get that ska-ggae ricka ricka sound.

I was talking about the lead guitar, not the rhythm guitar. generally there is too much going on in the rhythm to tell what it is, guitars, organs, pianos, etc.

I think I have it figured out.
I believe this is Earl "Chinna" Smith on guitar, and he seems to always use a Gibson Les Paul. But still don't know for sure.

Actually, any picture I have seen shows him playing what looks like an ES335. But the rhythm guitar does sound very clean, and with compression. So literally most guitars can be made to sound like that. The melody line sounds 'different'. It may not even be a guitar. But if it is a guitar, it's got some kind of envelope filtering on it. And it's clean, and with compression. Typical from that era.

I think some of the melody was on clavinet - a very go to keyboard in reggae muisc.

arrrrrrrrrrrgh,that sounds utter SHITE :(

i want my 8 seconds back ... and compensation for making me suffer such fake atrocities :(

The lead instrument sounds more like a Hohner Clavinet (maybe a D6?) with some slapback echo. Clavs were very common in reggae in the early 70's, along with R&B, rock and many other styles.
Stevie Wonder's "Superstition", Billy Preston's "Outa Space", among others, featured this iconic instrument.
The riddim guitar could be anything -- Strat, Tele, dual humbucker in the middle position with both tone controls wide open.

Back