47.5 KB · Views: 236
The Ghost of FM said:
Suffer?

This is fun! :)

My first semi-clear night shot with the camera! :D

All the rest came out fuzzy! :(

What's the secret to taking good, clear night shots? :confused:

You mean like this?

OK, seriously: tripod with cable release. There is no other way. OK, at least the tripod :o

Orion's arms are wide enough to hold us both together . . .

The Ghost of FM said:
Don't tell me you took that one?!

But if so, YES! How do you do that without the blur??

You launch a telescope into low earth orbit and maintain its position with gyroscopes ;)

mshilarious said:
You launch a telescope into low earth orbit and maintain its position with gyroscopes ;)
Gyroscopes!

Those Canon IS series lenses talked about using gyroscopes inside the lens...damn expensive lenses too! :o

I wonder if a tripod would be enough, considering I live on the 9th floor of an apartment building, I'm assuming the building shake is enough to blur a long exposure shot?

Does your camera have antishake built in? that helps. or, lean on something.....

Attachments

• SWnowstuff.jpg
    SWnowstuff.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 232
Dogman said:
Does your camera have antishake built in? that helps. or, lean on something.....
Nope. No built in anti-shake. They want to sell you optional 1700 dollar lenses that have that functionality to them! :rolleyes:

I guess I have to ask myself, how much do I really need to take quality night shots?...I'm not a spy and I can't see any stars living in a major urban environment.

Perhaps I'm getting worked up over nothing?

Where'd ya get that picture? :eek:

Cheers! :)

The Ghost of FM said:
I wonder if a tripod would be enough, considering I live on the 9th floor of an apartment building, I'm assuming the building shake is enough to blur a long exposure shot?

Probably not, at least compared to your hands.

The Ghost of FM said:
Nope. No built in anti-shake. They want to sell you optional 1700 dollar lenses that have that functionality to them! :rolleyes:

I guess I have to ask myself, how much do I really need to take quality night shots?...I'm not a spy and I can't see any stars living in a major urban environment.

Perhaps I'm getting worked up over nothing?

Where'd ya get that picture? :eek:

This was up at our cabin. I just leaned on the deck railing. It helped steady the pic. We bought a nice little $40 tripod, and it does really well for some shots. We mainly got it for our video camera, but my wife has used it on the still. Here's one with the digital zoom and all, with a tripod.

Attachments

• BirdClose.jpg
    BirdClose.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 222
Nice shot Dogman!

I wanted to avoid using a tripod as I can't really see myself lugging it around with me but perhaps it might be a good idea to keep one around anyway?

I know at least getting the tripod would be way cheaper then an Image stabilizer lens from Canon...I check the pricing on one this morning, anywhere from 600 to 800 bones! :eek:

The Ghost of FM said:
Nice shot Dogman!

I wanted to avoid using a tripod as I can't really see myself lugging it around with me but perhaps it might be a good idea to keep one around anyway?

A few options:

- For shots like Dogman's where you need to support a long lens, a monopod works well.

- Find something to brace yourself or rest the camera on: a railing, a chair, etc.

- Sit down. Learn the rifleman's seated posture, with your knees bent, and elbows resting on your thighs. Downside: it might be hard to get up :p

- Buy a tiny tabletop tripod, and find a surface to put it on.

The Ghost of FM said:
Nice shot Dogman!

I know at least getting the tripod would be way cheaper then an Image stabilizer lens from Canon...I check the pricing on one this morning, anywhere from 600 to 800 bones! :eek:

I would say a tripod is good, if you have it near you to use....I know what you mean about lugging one around. We leave ours at our cabin, and use it from the deck, or even just inside, through a window. Outside, do as msh has said...just find something to lean on. It actually can work well.

And ms, cool pic of the clouds. Where is that?

The Ghost of FM said:
I think that may be a more viable option for me.

Thanks!

And keep those pictures coming!

I am really impressed with what's been posted so far!

You need to get out and take some more also man.
Here's one at a local falls, just leaning on the railing to stabalize the camera.

Attachments

• Drops1.jpg
    Drops1.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 187
Back