Camera Freaks, this is your thread!

I just picked up a new camera last night; a Canon EOS Rebel XT, 8 megapixil, digital SLR.

I've never owned a film based SLR and had a few mid level, point&shoot digitals from Kodak and Canon and got tired of taking blurry pictures that were under or over exposed or destroyed by rotten lighting.

I know this new camera won't guarantee that my shooting results will be any better then they were before but hopefully, if I learn how to work the thing, I might come up with some better results?!

Question;

What do you guys think about the Canon model I got compared to other cameras that compete against it?

Question two;

Can you post some of you most creative pictures here so I can be inspired to learn how you took them?

Cheers! :)

This was taken with an ID10-T wide angle hoozenflauser.

12_018ButtArt_Gigsville.JPG

Close up

Cool man. I've heard good things from the few people I know that own that camera, or a similar one. I want something like that, but can't justify it yet. We just use a Kodak Point and Shoot. I'd like some flexability, and have looked at the Canon's. One friend has the real upper end one, but it's about $8500, just for the body. Way to spendy for me. The $1000 look to be great deals. Takes some pics, and show us.

Here is one the other morning with our Kodak.

Attachments

• Interesting.jpg
    Interesting.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,441
Dogman said:
Cool man. I've heard good things from the few people I know that own that camera, or a similar one. I want something like that, but can't justify it yet. We just use a Kodak Point and Shoot. I'd like some flexability, and have looked at the Canon's. One friend has the real upper end one, but it's about $8500, just for the body. Way to spendy for me. The $1000 look to be great deals. Takes some pics, and show us.

Nice shot, Dogman! :)

I guess the real camera buffs would complain that the foreground is too dark...then again it's a nice effect. :)

The Ghost of FM said:
Nice shot, Dogman! :)

I guess the real camera buffs would complain that the foreground is too dark...then again it's a nice effect. :)

Thanks Ghost. I really don't know how to shoot photos, but with digital, I can snap a lot, and not feel guilty of only having one good one out of a hundred. Just to show you, here is the same scene, just a few feet further back, with more light. It turns into more of a snapshot. I also think from what I've read, and heard, this is a really good deal for ya. When you gonna snap some pics?

Attachments

• SameShot.jpg
    SameShot.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,411
Hey, I also own a Canon Digital Rebel SLR.

I've had far better results, almost makes me feel like a photographer sometimes.....nah, not really. but it does take some great shots.

I bought mine on the recomendation of a friend who is a professional photographer. He uses Canon equipment as well, albeit the higher end models. He borrowed mine one time to have an extra camera when shooting a wedding, the pictures he took with it were amazing. I haven't quite gotten there yet. I don't have a very good command of all the manual controls on the thing, but I'm getting there. Actually my wife uses it much more than me....she is becoming quite the photographer. Sorry I don't have any shots here to post.

Ghost - It looks like you've locked focus on the left (top) side of the frame.....are you in AF mode? Letting the camera pick the focus sensors automatically?
:confused:

whyseye said:
Ghost - It looks like you've locked focus on the left (top) side of the frame.....are you in AF mode? Letting the camera pick the focus sensors automatically?
:confused:
I think so, yeah...I only managed to shoot it with the flash turned off to see how it would work with the natural light in the room.

The Ghost of FM said:
Well, here's a preliminary shot.

I had to compress the hell out of it to post it here. :o

Nice....uhm.....composition. What's the trophy for?

snipeguy said:
Nice....uhm.....composition. What's the trophy for?
The trophy?

I'm not sure in that there's no inscriptions on it? It came as part of the furnishing from a family cottage in Vermont...it must be at least 75 years old.

Have you gotten the hang of selecting the focus point yet?
Like whyseye said, that shot would look better if you focused on the dog (deer?) or the trophy.

Dogman said:

Ed, keep your camera out of the sun untill you have learned how to deal with too much sunlight in your camera :D

heh it is not all that hard, just get some handbooks on how to take pictures, experiment and.....................aaaaagh I see, you are still in the experimental stage..........well in that case you do not let your audience know your results yet.!!! :eek: Makes sense eh???!!!

metalhead28 said:
He borrowed mine one time to have an extra camera when shooting a wedding, the pictures he took with it were amazing. I haven't quite gotten there yet.

Heh, I've got a guitar player friend of mine like that who hits me up for my strat for gigs. It doesn't sound like that when I play it.

Back