California Dreamin' - Heavy Metal Folk!

That's really quite superb. I like it. Only thing I'd say is the kick drum is a little too big - I mean the song's not that metal! :D

Moonrider said:
Interesting take on an old classic, and I really enjoyed it until the solo. I was ready for a a screamer of a guitar solo, and got synthesized trumpet. Fire up the battleaxe and bleed the melody lines for all they're worth!
Sorry, but my friend Cheryl on the fluglehorn might take offense to that...; )
Carmen

Alchemist3k said:
heh, tow Glasgwegians in the one thread... what are the odds :)

Whats the name of that water wheel thing in Glasgow that takes the place of the locks on the canal?

jgourd said:
Whats the name of that water wheel thing in Glasgow that takes the place of the locks on the canal?

I think you're talking about the falkirk wheel which is actualy in Falkirk.....not Glasgow. Still, another great bit of Scottish engineering to say the least.

The music is fine... really, really good!

But the phase and pitch correction issues on the lead vocal kills the song, IMHO. You can hear it in the very first line on the word "grey" and the flats and sharps continue throughout the song. It sounds like the pitch correction worked in some (minor) places, but didn't in others.

What did you use in the chain on the vocals?

Was the effect pre or post production?

I'd have the singer do a better take rather than try to cover up a so-so vocal track.

Sorry if you think this is harsh, but I'm just being honest.

You should hear how brutal my partner (MAC2) can be on my vocals sometimes! :D:D:D

Yo Carmen- That rocks! San Francisco psychedelic rock was a fusion of folk, rock, and blues. It wasn't folk music. And what you did was not metal. My best comments- I agree with those who think you should crank up an amp for the solo. The original was done with an ocharina, I believe. Your backing vocal section rocks, and I don't find either the autotune or the compression particularly annoying, but you need a human drummer. Lead vocals have those twisted vowels that are characteristic of punk. Accept the material for what it is, and sing it straight. Very good work.-Richie

First off,..you did a great freakin' job. That was way cool.
Second,..thats about as far away from Heavy Metal as the original was. I was expecting alot more from reading your original post.
I agree with pretty much everyone else,..the solo should be that new guitar ya got instead of that horn.

Take 'er easy,..
Calwood

The only thing I'd like to see is a bit more intensity during the solo, and perhaps guitar instead of the saxaphone sounding (was it synth?) line.

Other than that this is the best song I've heard in the MP3 clinic so far.

FREAKING PHENOMENAL MAN.

Too bad you can't get it out, I bet this could be a decent single. If I were you I'd try to get someone to distribute this. Not only is the music good, but it has an awesome vibe.

Of course you picked a great song to cover, and one that I'd consider to be very challenging. I'm still flabbergasted you pulled it off.

Kudos man, you rock!!!!!!

This really cool, and I'm not a fan of cover songs. They're either covered to close to the original, or so wacked out that you don't even know it's a cover.

This is real, real good.

Vocal harmonies are excellent. How many vocalists?

Guitars rock. Does sound like Brian May.

I, too, don't care for the Flugle Horn. I'd like to see a synth or maybe even a bari-sax there. But this is your arrangement of the song.

All in all, an A+++

Did I mention that this is real, real, real good.

Aaaaggghhh!

I agree with most of the sentiments that this sounds like it was mixed very well, but can you not hear the autotune? That just kills it for me. I would much rather listen to someone who can't sing than to a machine correcting every 5th note. It makes it sound like Max Headroom or something (wow, that's a blast from the past). What a horrible way to ruin an otherwise great recording of a classic tune.

I think auto-tune is meant to help out a "good" vocal track that needs just a bit of help, not rescue a bad performance that's way too pitchy and needs to be re-sung properly.

Back