Cakewalk Home Edition 2004 worth buying?

Reggie49

G'Day All,
I am a rank beginner in the home recording thing and it's a pity I didn't find your site before I started buying some gear to have a go a this.

My first question here is I think I've got a good chance at picking up Cakewalk Home Edition 2004 very cheaply. While it mightn't have all the latest bells and whistles, is it a worthy bit of software to have a go doing some introductory attemps at recording my electric guitar?

Like most people I don't have a lot of cash to just go out and buy what would be a better option seeing that I'm not sure I'm going to get good results from the recording bit due to lack of ability - but I'd like to have a go at least. :)

Hope some one can give some advice on this

Cheers

Ron

Well, you know...2004 is 2004. You could look into getting something like Reaper which I think is free or $40. I don't know the deal with that...but it's cheap and regarded highly.

Hmmm, lots of lookers but only one person who's prepared to offer some advice.

Comon guys, remember back when you were starting out - a million questions and it difficult to get a range of views?

All I want to know is, if buying Cakewalk 2004 for $20 -$30 a worthy program for a beginner to start with and if not, why not?

I thought an older version of Cakewalk might have been a better proposition to start with, than something that might cost $50-$100, that I've never heard of.

Is Reaper, as Monkey Allen suggested, a better option to consider for a start up program?

Why buy an old program that'll never get fixed/updated?

Go get Reaper for $60... lots more features and CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT/FIXES.

Okay it seems that buying this product isn't such a good idea. Just thought that because it was a known and respected brand, (my thoughts), that that would be a good start. So it seems Reaper might be a better option.

Thanks to those who replied I appreciate you help! :)

Okay it seems that buying this product isn't such a good idea. Just thought that because it was a known and respected brand, (my thoughts), that that would be a good start. So it seems Reaper might be a better option.

Thanks to those who replied I appreciate you help! :)

Sorry, I just saw your post. I can't understand why anyone on this board would steer you away from Cakewalk products. Cakewalk is the best program you can get for that kind of money. If you're just starting out, it's the easiest way to go, period. I will not 'dis Reaper. But Cakewalk is better. I don't work for Cakewalk, and I've tried demos of EVERY other program on the planet. For my money Cakewalk just works better.

Why buy an old program that'll never get fixed/updated?

Go get Reaper for $60... lots more features and CONTINUED DEVELOPMENT/FIXES.

I'll disagree about the features, I think Home studio is feature packed and is morbidly upgradeable. You Reaper guys have your own room don't you?

Thanks for the input guys.

I didn't mean for this to get too controversial, but I got the answer I'm happy with. So thankyou to those who helped. :)

Cheers

Ron

Back