Cad Gxl-3000

second skin

BEAT IT!
hello all. i'm new around here and i was just wondering if any of you had any opinions on this microphone.

i got it for free as part of a deal from musicians friend. i opened it up and the circuit board says "A-51ST" on it. i googled that and it seems to be an ADK mic. i found pictures of an older ADK Area 51 series that has the same housing and everything. so far i like it although i admitedly have limited experience with mics of any sort. I'm thinking of getting another one since they have a 100 dollar instant rebate at the moment and i was thinking i could use the pair for drum overheads and such as well as vocals.

just looking for opinions on whether or not i should look elsewhere. i can't help but be tempted to pull the trigger so that i would basically have a pair of LDC mics for under 100 bucks

Interesting info regarding the PCB and the ADK connection. ;)

I just bought one myself - couldn't pass up the price. It just arrived, so it'll be a few days before I get to try it out.

I doubt if it's the same as the "Area 51" mic, as that's a tube mic, but it could be the same as the A-51 line. It has the same body as the Hamburg and Vienna mics.

so then i guess my next question is...do you think i would be better served getting another one of these and using them for not only vocals but also drum overheads or anything else that i wanted to mic in stereo? or should i go with some sort of smaller condenser for that. the main advantage that i see to getting another one of the GXL 3000's is that i could play around with techniques such as Mid/Side as well as a spaced pair or whatever else.

thanks

jeremy

What I have come to find is you can never really buy to many or the wrong mic (unless its a shitty radio shack mic or something like that). Either way you can have drum overheads that have a distinct sound that maybe youll want to use eventually. IF you wind up not liking that overhead sound with the 2 3000s then you can use it for live acoustic guitar and vocal micing. or just keep it in the ol mic locker you never no when you might want to use a stereo pair of ldc's.

DAS19 said:
What I have come to find is you can never really buy to many or the wrong mic (unless its a shitty radio shack mic or something like that). Either way you can have drum overheads that have a distinct sound that maybe youll want to use eventually. IF you wind up not liking that overhead sound with the 2 3000s then you can use it for live acoustic guitar and vocal micing. or just keep it in the ol mic locker you never no when you might want to use a stereo pair of ldc's.

i think you are right on with that. i don't really have anything to compare it to so maybe i'll just go for it and then when i get something new(because even though i'm new at this i know that i'll never be fully satisfied) i'll have a frame of reference. it'll have to wait though since i just won a pair of monitors off of ebay today.

funny, i was just thinking about how much i like switchable pattern mics. it's great to vary the sound so much without changing a mic out and having it right there infornt of you for a change in the next track on the same instrument or something.

and i don't recall ever seeing a cheaper multipattern mic than that one. it's $70 at the moment.

so the question is, how does it sound, has anyone tested it out? any noise or rattle or is it decently built? etc?

My CAD GXL3000 arrived yesterday, and I had a chance to play with it for a few minutes last night.

I was mildly impressed, and a bit surprised with the way it sounded... it's not as hyped as I thought it might be for this price point, and each of the three patterns is quite usable. The pad and low freq rolloff switch positions are very effective, and it's cleaner (noise-wise) than I expected too. It also appears to be very well made. The shockmount seems to be effective, holding the mic securely, and is easy to get the mic in and out of without any problems.

Definately worth my $70 investment IMHO. :)

I just snatched another, I've been using 3 other CAD mics along with an assortment of AT and Shure mics. I have to say they sound very decent
compared to other budget mics MXL type mics.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW: What did you buy that included the free mic and interface, preamp?

junplugged said:
at mf it says mic only, where'd you get the shock mount?

The shockmount was included with the mic. The mic and shockmount aren't in a fancy wood or plastic box, just a cardboard box with nice graphics on the outside. I'd much rather have the shockmount and a simple box than a fancy box and no shockmount! ;)

RandyW said:
I just snatched another, I've been using 3 other CAD mics along with an assortment of AT and Shure mics. I have to say they sound very decent
compared to other budget mics MXL type mics.

Thanks for the tip.

BTW: What did you buy that included the free mic and interface, preamp?

It wasn't a free mic deal - I bought the CAD GXL 3000 for $69.99 at MF, which included the shockmount.

well, i screwed up and ordered the 2200 and tried to cancel but they said it was too late...no i have to ship it back

kid klash said:
My CAD GXL3000 arrived yesterday, and I had a chance to play with it for a few minutes last night.

I was mildly impressed, and a bit surprised with the way it sounded... it's not as hyped as I thought it might be for this price point, and each of the three patterns is quite usable. The pad and low freq rolloff switch positions are very effective, and it's cleaner (noise-wise) than I expected too.
Do you recommend for vox? Can you post some sample clips? Thanks for sharing.

Back