CAD Equitek E-100

warble

Anyone familiar with this microphone? A friend is going to loan me his says it does a good job for him with vocals. I've read some literature on it- seems like it would be alright.

It's a supercardioid side address electret w/ a High Pass switch (flat or roll-off below 80Hz, 20db gain pad switch, and its phantom powered or two-9V batteries.

It's freq response is 10-18KHz, Dynamic Range is 132db, Maximum SPL level is 148db with pad on, Total Harmonic distortion is less than 0.15%, Signal to noise is 78db at 94db SPL.

I know specs aren't everything, and I will be using this in a project studio. My hope is that I can lay down some decent (sonic) quality vocals.

I've not had any CAD experience or ever even heard a CAD myself, but everyone seems to agree that it can get the job done. Also, if you can help it, try not to use the pad. Pads degrade the signal. Of course sometimes, you just can't avoid them.

Reactions: XLR
That should be a fine mic for vocals. I worked with the E200 when I was at school, and that was just fine.

The specs you mention show that it should do well with vocals (assuming that you made a typo in the freq response ... should probably be 10 Hz - 18kHz).

Reactions: XLR
10 Hz?
What's that? A Bronx Cheer?
(Just proves you're right about the low end of this range)
Do any singers really reach 18KHz?

[This message has been edited by drstawl (edited 10-28-1999).]

I'm not a big fan of CAD mics. They're a great bargain to be sure, but I really don't like the sound of them.

You said he's going to let you borrow it, great! Try it out, if you don't like it, no big deal.

Back