cable question

kesterdevine

Hello good people,

I have been sorting through my studio and found a couple of cables I didn't know I had. Not sure why/where I got them, but I'd like to put them to use if possible. I am a bit confused about how why and when to use these particular cables. Here's a link to the type of cable it is:

http://www.nealsmusic.com/uploads/Fender-Electro-Volt-Cables-20-Feet-Mic-Cable-Hi-Z.php

I would like to be able to use them to connect balanced XLR outputs on a preamp to 1/4 inch inputs on a Yamaha AW16G recorder. Would this be o'k? I am not sure if the impedance is a problem in this situation. What about balanced vs. unbalaced??

If I can't use the cable for this what are these types of cables used for?

Sorry I am so confused. Hoping someone can help un-confuse me :-)

Thanks!

That cable is unbalanced. What you want is a balanced cable with a tip/ring/sleeve.(TRS) The unbalanced cable are for unbalanced inputs but would still work if they're not over 25" or so.

Thanks for the quick reply, NYMorningstar. The cables I have are 20 feet long, but the distance between the preamp and recorder is only about 5 feet. So am I right to assume that impedance is not an issue in this instance? Is the only potential problem noise from the unbalanced cable? Can I damage any gear by trying? Thanks again.

You won't damage any gear, but if your input is a high impedance input on your yamaha, then your microphone signal will end up being very low. As far as noise from the cable, it kind of depends on the environment the cable is in. Fluorescent light ballasts will drive them nuts, as will transformers and power adapters (ac to dc).

go ahead and cut it to length... if you're real lucky it's got two conductors inthere... lotsa times thats what happens.. it's easier for the manuf to put the same cable in the unbalanced as the balanced... then all you'll need is a trs connector...

Thanks Ripthorn and dementedchord! The inputs on the AW16G are lo-z so i should be o'k there. Hadn't thought about cutting the cable to length. That's an interesting idea. Might actually try that. Should have some time to record this weekend so i'll see how things go. Thanks again for the help :-)

Back