Cabinet Emulation

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Just saw a review of these guys and they seem pretty good:
Shop - 3 Sigma Audio
Just wondering how this shit works. $7 seems pretty cheap to me.

Do you need to get anything else from these guys to make this sort of thing work? Anyone know how you make them work?
I've never downloaded anything like this before so I have no idea.

Those are cabinet impulses used with ampsims Jdude, you'd need an IR loader for 'em. You only get 10 different mic positions for each cab you buy, at $7 a pop...

You could use them running your amp into a loadbox then into you computer/daw, but it'd cost quite a bit more than $7 to go that route, again, the easiest way to use these are with your ampsims...

Those are cabinet impulses used with ampsims Jdude, you'd need an IR loader for 'em. You only get 10 different mic positions for each cab you buy, at $7 a pop...

You could use them running your amp into a loadbox then into you computer/daw, but it'd cost quite a bit more than $7 to go that route, again, the easiest way to use these are with your ampsims...

Ah... I only have an old version of GearBox and the free version of Amplitube.

Cheers, Miner

Recabinet might have a free demo... they allow for IR's. And Lepou's amp heads are free. I only use his amp heads...the mesa boogie and marshall...then I use Recabinet's cabs. I bought the $40 unlocked version, though.

Cheers, part of the problem is that I have no idea how any of this shit work and fits together.

I have an amp that I like where I've dialed in a tone I like.
I want to keep using that tone (or something similar) when playing/recording later at night.
The Sigma Audio impulses seem pretty good so I just need to know the most cost efficient way that I could run them - the impulses themselves are about the price of a pint!

I'm not concerned with having a sim with a million different head, cab and pedal choices. I have an amp I quite like (and am used to) and all the pedals I need.

Cheers, part of the problem is that I have no idea how any of this shit work and fits together.

I want to keep using that tone (or something similar) when playing/recording later at night.
The Sigma Audio impulses seem pretty good so I just need to know the most cost efficient way that I could run them - the impulses themselves are about the price of a pint!

I'm not concerned with having a sim with a million different head, cab and pedal choices. I have an amp I quite like (and am used to) and all the pedals I need.

Well, like I said, Recab lets you bypass their amp heads and just use their cabs. They have a bunch to choose from. 2 Marshalls, MB, peavey, etc. Could always try the demo and see how that works. Hving access to all those cabs might be cheaper than spending $7 for individual ones, depending on how many you want access to. I find having more options is better...get multiple tones in a tune, one setup for verse g's another for chorus g's. plus, recab's stuff sounds very, very good.

that's all i got! hope it helped, in some way

Your amp has a speaker emulation output doesn't it? How does it sound when you run that direct into the audio interface?

You mentioned playing at night. Like a lot of musicians, I'm a bit of a night owl. My most creative time of day comes when I can't crank up an amp. I use the speaker emulation output on my Hughes and Kettner amp to work up guitar parts, then re-record them with a mic when I am able to make some noise.

If you're in Reaper, then you've got ReaVerb, which doesn't have to be used for reverb.

If you're not in Reaper, you should be, but SIR has a free version. Voxengo Boogex also has an impulse loader in it, and I think you can bypass the "amp head" one way or another.

You could get a dummy load resistor and a direct box that plugs into your amp's speaker out. Then you record the amp silently through the DI box and add the speaker sim into the effects section of the DAW.

Cheers, oncor. I had no idea what IR meant until now. I will try that free one and then maybe the 7 dollar cab pack. Curious really as to if it will work.

I don't like the emulated out on the amp at all, just don't think it sounds that good. Although I haven't played with it in ages. Might give it another go, I'm a lot more familiar with the amp now.

Cheers, oncor. I had no idea what IR meant until now. I will try that free one and then maybe the 7 dollar cab pack. Curious really as to if it will work.

I don't like the emulated out on the amp at all, just don't think it sounds that good. Although I haven't played with it in ages. Might give it another go, I'm a lot more familiar with the amp now.

Don't you use Reaper? If so - Reaverb will work with cab impulses.

I've got thousands of them I've never used. You can have them.

Don't you use Reaper? If so - Reaverb will work with cab impulses.

I've got thousands of them I've never used. You can have them.
Yeah, I use Reaper. Not sure how I'd get a cab impulse to work with ReaVerb but I could probably work it out. Most things with Reaper are pretty simple with a bit of fiddling. Cheers, dude!

I'll be interested to see if anything sounds better than the emulated out on my amp... Which to be honest, sounds a bit shit.

Yeah, I use Reaper. Not sure how I'd get a cab impulse to work with ReaVerb but I could probably work it out. Most things with Reaper are pretty simple with a bit of fiddling. Cheers, dude!
Same way you get a reverb impulse into ReaVerb. Like I said in post #8 above ( ;) ), just because it has "verb" in the name doesn't mean you can't use for whatever impulse responses you might want to load.

I'll be interested to see if anything sounds better than the emulated out on my amp... Which to be honest, sounds a bit shit.

You direct Reaverb where to find the files, which you will host somewhere like a project folder or plug-in folder. It's easy as pie.

You run your direct-from-amp signal to your interface, and then insert Reaverb as a plug-in. Choose whitch cab/mic impulse file you want, and go. Your direct signal will run through that virtual cab and hopefully it doesn't sound like shit.

You direct Reaverb where to find the files, which you will host somewhere like a project folder or plug-in folder. It's easy as pie.

You run your direct-from-amp signal to your interface, and then insert Reaverb as a plug-in. Choose whitch cab/mic impulse file you want, and go. Your direct signal will run through that virtual cab and hopefully it doesn't sound like shit.
Cheers. Sounds easy. Still gonna get a new speaker though.

Ash, I've actually never added any plugins at all into Reaper. I use a handful of the stock effects and that's it!

Sorry. ReaVerb is a stock effect, and the how-tos are all over the place. :/

I know! I have used ReaVerb (and Reaverbate - which seems better to me). I've just never added anything into any of these stock effects.

Then what did you do with ReaVerb? I guess it has that thing where it generates it's own impulse or whatever... You should try a couple actual reverb impulses in ReaVerb sometime. ReaVerbate is a not good digital reverb, but ReaVerb can sound about exactly like any room/space that anybody's ever recorded.

Then what did you do with ReaVerb? I guess it has that thing where it generates it's own impulse or whatever... You should try a couple actual reverb impulses in ReaVerb sometime. ReaVerbate is a not good digital reverb, but ReaVerb can sound about exactly like any room/space that anybody's ever recorded.

I just fiddled about with the settings in it. I had no idea you could add more stuff into it until today.

Back