Cab for JCM800, 2x12 or 4x12

Don't get the B-52 junk. If you can't get a Marshall 4x12, find a Laney, Avatar, anything with Celestions that weighs something. The B-52's are terrible sounding.

The problem with the cabinets is the size and the construction. It effects the sound a great deal. The best speakers in the wrong cabinet sound bad anyway.

Here are two quads! The Laney I have owned since new and weighs a ton but kicks serious butt. The Marshall is a good quad but not a scratch on the Laney. They both are Celestion loaded!

The only thing that worries me about the tech 21 cabinets is that i think they would be designed to be really really flat.

That 2x12 carvin is pretty darn cheap and they have the legacy series if i want to go 4x12.

Farview said:
The problem with the cabinets is the size and the construction. It effects the sound a great deal. The best speakers in the wrong cabinet sound bad anyway.

Not true. The quality of contruction part is, but even Jim Marshall said about designing the 412 cab that he just made the smallest thing that would hold 4 12" speakers. There is ZERO acoustic design outside of the birch plywood they use.

Now some of these custom cab designers say they acoustically tune the cabs, but I bet only 50% of them even understand what it means to tune a cab and only 50% of them have even tried.

Almost all guitar cabs are just a box with a circle cut out of the middle. No more, no less.

I think I'm going to get the 2x12 Avatar splitback with vintage 30's and if I ever need more headroom, my amp has two outputs so I could use my Fender combo amp speaker with it. But two questions:

a. would all of this work? :-)
b. if i'm running both 8 Ohm cabinets at the same time, would i set the Ohms on my amp to 4, 16, or 8?

Gorty said:
Here are two quads! The Laney I have owned since new and weighs a ton but kicks serious butt. The Marshall is a good quad but not a scratch on the Laney. They both are Celestion loaded!

I've got a Laney 4x12 from the 80's paired up with a 50 watt JCM800. It fuckin' rocks. It's got Vintage 30's in it and it is very heavy. Easily 30+ pounds more than any Marshall cabinet i have ever come across. It sounds way better as well. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is covered in grey carpeting. I just don't like that, but it sound too good to get rid of.

Is that one in the picture carpet covered as well? I can't tell.

Outlaws said:
Not true. The quality of contruction part is, but even Jim Marshall said about designing the 412 cab that he just made the smallest thing that would hold 4 12" speakers. There is ZERO acoustic design outside of the birch plywood they use.

Now some of these custom cab designers say they acoustically tune the cabs, but I bet only 50% of them even understand what it means to tune a cab and only 50% of them have even tried.

Almost all guitar cabs are just a box with a circle cut out of the middle. No more, no less.
So it was a happy accident. There are a bunch of different cabinets with vintage 30s in it, they don't all sound the same. The dimensions and the solidity(?) of construction make a big difference.

Back