buying my first monitor pair

ches1

hello everyone,

I'm slowly starting to look at buying a pair of "real" monitors and I would like to hear yall input on MY situation I know it depends on a lot of different thing so here are the details:

-I'm willing to spend 1000-1500$ on the pair
-My room is untreated but there's a lot of furniture and almost no echo
-They need to be truthfull at low volume
-They must have a precise bass response without a sub and clear high too
-I will be mixing rap instrumentals
-I can't help but to have one corner of each monitor to touch the wall

the 2 local store here carry these brands:
-JBL
-Yorkville
-Yamaha
-KRK
-Mackie
-Tascam
-Fostex
-M-Audio
-Samson
-Tapco
-Behringer

any help appreciated

-I can't help but to have one corner of each monitor to touch the wall

since you made apoint of adding this we can assume you know this is taboo right??? and you may infact improve the sound by useing treatments more than by buying more expensive monitors??? that being said of what you listed i'ld be looking at the jbl's and possibly the yamamas... if you search the old threads on this you'll find i often suggest checking out places like craigs list for audiofool speakers... some of those guy's change their stuff for no reason at all... and good deals are to be had there... though you might have to do some research on what brands to look for... two favs of mine are B+W and KEF...there is seriously no difference in the types of drivers used in speakers and monitors... good one's are good ones... so why pay an extra 10-20% cause it says pro or monitor on it???

and you may infact improve the sound by useing treatments more than by buying more expensive monitors???

no, I'm using regular homestereo speakers that I have to run trough an insanely hissy receiver + I think my cluttered bedroom sound fairly good already

With less than 1500 or 1000 the "new" line of Sanson (Rubicon 6A) or the "new" yamahas 8" are excelent.The Sansom Rubicon are great (IMO)for the price, but for an even more accurate bass response without a sub, an 8" will be better.
-My room is untreated but ...
They must have a precise bass response without a sub and clear high too

The more you treat your room the more "precise bass response" you´ll have, theres no substitute for treatment on right places (bass traps) and measurements/speakers placement to be sure you´re with an aceptable response.

Ciro

www.soundclick.com/ciromoreau

Last edited:
wow....with those price points you're sure of getting something nice, with some basic acoustic treatment and probably even a sub too!...Unless ofcourse you are using Australian dollars.

My suggestion is...

Go to your store and try out all the speakers in your price range. Take some listening material with you that you know inside out. Listen to all the speakers and chose which ones you like best.

Is there not a GC somewhere close to you, or another shop that will stock other monitors? At that range you're getting into things like Adams, etc. and it would be a shame to not consider them..

Back