buying individual tuners?

Hey ho,

Does anyone know where (or if) i can buy individual guitar tuners, instead of a set of 6? I've got a mandolin that i want to put guitar tuners on, but i'd rather not have to buy 12 tuning machines for it. (Of course, i need a 4L/4R configuation.)

Any ideas?

Be seeing you,

piper.

Got to a small guitar shop that does repairs.

I had one put locking tuners on mu LesPaul awhile ago and the bastards kept my old tuners. Not that I needed them that much anymore.

Outlaws said:
Got to a small guitar shop that does repairs.

I had one put locking tuners on mu LesPaul awhile ago and the bastards kept my old tuners. Not that I needed them that much anymore.

This was highly inappropriate of them. We always offer the old parts to our customers, and only take them if they do not want them (which happen a lot). But you are right, the best bet is a GOOD repair shop. This is NOT a do it yourself job though, as guitar tuners have different sized shafts than most mandolin tuners, which requires specialized and expensive tools to change, if they will fit at all. If it is an F-style mandolin, it will not work.

Why do you want to change them anyway? If you are trying to get better tuners, check out the Stewart MacDonald website, and get some Waverlys. They make the best tuners out there for Mandolin.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I didn't even think about it at the time as they were never offered to me. But I am pack rat so I keep everything. Hell I have rubber stoppers for shit I don't know what it is good for..........but I WILL use it one day, I know. ...and it'll be nice to have around.

But anyways

My friend got Epi LP with some busted ass tuners and I had nothing to offer up. I could have given him some badass REAL LesPaul tuners. But no......He had to go shell out money.

Light said:
This was highly inappropriate of them. We always offer the old parts to our customers, and only take them if they do not want them (which happen a lot). But you are right, the best bet is a GOOD repair shop. This is NOT a do it yourself job though, as guitar tuners have different sized shafts than most mandolin tuners, which requires specialized and expensive tools to change, if they will fit at all. If it is an F-style mandolin, it will not work.

Why do you want to change them anyway? If you are trying to get better tuners, check out the Stewart MacDonald website, and get some Waverlys. They make the best tuners out there for Mandolin.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

The other issue (besides size) that comes to mind is whether or not the tuners are similar (or whether or not you even care...). It would be kinda wierd to have a 10:1 Kluson with a 16:1 Schaller right next to it...

Light said:
...This is NOT a do it yourself job though, as guitar tuners have different sized shafts than most mandolin tuners, which requires specialized and expensive tools to change, if they will fit at all. If it is an F-style mandolin, it will not work.

It's a funny old Russian mandolin i got on eBay some years ago. It's crappy but i absolutely love it, and i would play it out more if it had some reasonable tuners. The ones it has are old and tired, (and confusingly go backwards) 4-on-a-strip, but it turns out the peg hole spacing isn't standard or even regular. So individual tuners are the way to go, unless i wanted to fill & redrill the pegead holes, which would be a much larger job.

I don't have a problem with enlarging the peg holes if necessary, or else machining some custom bushings to fit the holes and the new pegs.

David Lo Pan, thanks for the Warmoth link. That's just what i was looking for. (Also, welcome to the board! :) )

Be seeing you,

piper.

Back