Buying four microphones on a budget

I think two Cad M179's would make great overheads along with having other uses. They seem to get nothing but positive reviews.

Another mic that gets sooooooo much cred around the net but isn't as dirt cheap here as it is stateside. Don't get me wrong, it's not mega expensive here but a pair here would cost £378 (just shy of $500!). :(

Come on USA, adopt the euro and everybody wins :)

Dang! Do you guys at least get better prices on all the german mics?

Umm.... i hope we do. A TLM 102 is about £480, which is $746. Sooo, to sweetwater i go for the $ price....

SOB! US - $699 which is £449 :facepalm:

Man, this sucks :( The worst part is if you buy stuff from the states you then get hit with uk VAT at 20% (unless it's paid upfront), and if it's over £140 (i think) then there's also an import duty.

RARRR!!! Even Neve stuff is way cheaper stateside! The Portico Master Buss Processor - sweetwater price $3995. KMR in the UK price £3594. £3594 converts to $5584!!!! :wtf:

Now i'm starting to understand why so many people leave this tiny island. It's like fast food chains offers where the prices are the same numerical figure but the conversion is mad; a 99c cheeseburger is still a 99p cheeseburger over here, but 99p is about $1.50!

:cursing::cursing:
Even Neve's are more expensive?

I know right! It's insane! After looking at the neumann stuff i though "hmm, what UK audio manufacturers are there?" and instantly thought neve and thought "yeah, surely that'll be cheaper this side of them pond". Then again, aren't Rupert and his wife now US citizens?

And if that's not bad enough, the UK price for petrol is extortionate!

Justsomeguy: Sense the Samson C01/C02-kit cost only a little more then a single C01 or C02 I thought I could buy two kits (of course use two of the same mic) and sell the ones I don't like. :)

And yeah, it's crazy how much cheaper it is in the states!

Justsomeguy: Sense the Samson C01/C02-kit cost only a little more then a single C01 or C02 I thought I could buy two kits (of course use two of the same mic) and sell the ones I don't like. :)

Hmmm, now there's an idea. Tbf you could record everything with those four mics, or even three of them; C02's as overheads, C01 on kick and then you could try the C01 on snare or just use the three mics. It may not work for rock or metal for other stuff it could be pretty cool.

Justsomeguy: Hah, yeah. That's a cool idea but rock and metal is definitely the way I want to go where it comes to sound. But this way I both get a SDC and LDC pair. :)

Maybe try one of the C02 as a "under"-mic (correct term?) for the snare and only have one overhead.

Hey. I use a condenser on snare for rock all the time. There is a lot more of a transient than with a 57. I am using a KM84 about an an inch above the rim pointed at the center at about a 30 degree angle. I know that the KM84 is not a budget mic, but I'm sure other condensers would work well on snare.

Back