Buyers remorse, say it ain’t so.

Dadhead82

Hello all,

I was excited to get back and started on this home recording adventure. I found some microphones I like, however, finding my MotuM4 is 1) not working with my PC (windows 10) or 2) I have no idea what the hell I’m doing. It’s recognized by the computer and the DAWs I’ve used (audacity, ableton live 11 lite) but the levels aren’t showing in my device manager or the DAWs.

What’s more (and perhaps unrelated) is while viewing YT videos for clues, my YT videos are running half speed. What gives?

OK, step 1. Did you download the latest Motu Driver? Motu Driver installer
In Windows, did you set the device as your audio device for both recording and playback? I can't address Ableton, since I don't use it. Audacity will use the Windows default audio driver. Ableton will likely use the ASIO driver.

Regarding Youtube videos running slow. Pull up a video and click on the settings icon (the little gear). Check that the playback speed is listed as normal. You can vary it from .0.25x to 2x. Sometimes that gets inadvertently changed.

Reactions: TAE
OK, step 1. Did you download the latest Motu Driver? Motu Driver installer
In Windows, did you set the device as your audio device for both recording and playback? I can't address Ableton, since I don't use it. Audacity will use the Windows default audio driver. Ableton will likely use the ASIO driver.

Regarding Youtube videos running slow. Pull up a video and click on the settings icon (the little gear). Check that the playback speed is listed as normal. You can vary it from .0.25x to 2x. Sometimes that gets inadvertently changed.
I installed the driver, and designated the M4 as the default for playback and recording—and didn’t see the mic levels even though I could hear/see it in the AI. Additionally i would hear an intermittent crackle and tone.

As for the YT, the speed settings were normal. It feels like the M4 was just sapping the processor or something….clearly I don’t work in IT

I hooked up the ol’ 2i2 gen 2 and reinstalled that driver. No issues whatsoever.

Maybe I’m supposed to save the $250

Check that the interface and DAW are running at the same sample rate. The interface should adjust to match the DAW, but perhaps that's not happening and you need to manually switch it to match.

This isn't the best forum to be asking this question on, as most people here are hobbyists rather than professionals. I suggest looking for a more specific forum or asking someone who is more knowledgeable in this area.
--
Jason Hook. Audio Enthusiast and Software Developer
Remove or Isolate Vocals from any Song 👉 https://www.UnMixIt.com/

I can't find any information on the power drain of the M4 vs the 2i2. Are you running from a USB2 or USB3 plug? USB3 has higher power capacity than 2. I wonder if it is causing an issue there? Is it just Youtube that plays slowly? Is it choppy, or steady but slow. I haven't heard of that before, other than that playback speed setting.

When things slow up, pull up your Task Manager in WIndows and see if there is some process that is pulling too much processor time. I've had that happen when a program went screwy. It acted just like when Windows is downloading and doing major updates. Systems can slow to a crawl, especially if they have spinning hard drives instead of a solid state drive. Check both CPU access and hard drive access.

If you can't find a resolution, I would return the Motu. Your 2i2 is fully capable, and you can ALWAYS buy something else later on.

USB-C to USB-3. I kind of wondered about that as well, but as the cpu was a build gifted to me by my brother in law, I may have to consult him as well.

I have not considered pulling up the task mgr but may take a peek upon retrying again.

I guess my question is really whether or not folks are having M4 issues on Windows.

Thanks for all the responses, as always they are very charitable and thoughtful.

I know that Dave (ECC83) had the Motu and thought it was super. I've also read on a few other forums of people who have bought them and really liked them for both the sound and the support.

Here's a fellow who goes through the whole setup from unboxing to recording tracks with mic, direct and line inputs. Seems pretty straightforward to me.

This isn't the best forum to be asking this question on, as most people here are hobbyists rather than professionals
Actually, because people are hobbyists, and are likely to encounter this type of problem, this is precisely the place to be asking the question.
In fact, I challenge you to go through the last 13 years of archives and come up with a list of problems brought to the table that were never solved.
You won't find many.

Back