butthurt

theD1CKENS

*insert clever title here
Soooo...me n the band pooled up a bunch of money and bought a few mics and a recorder so we could finally get something to give out. I spend months reading up on home recording, trying out various techniques, asking nOOb questions, til one day BAM! I get something that sounds passable.

Awesome! We're ready to try to record ourselves, right?

Wrong

We're having some other schmuck with a home "studio" record us because, get this, he has Protools. W...T...F?!

:cursing::cursing::cursing::cursing:

So who exactly is butthurt? :D Just you or the other guys who chipped in too?

If you all decided to buy stuff and record yourselves, then who made the decision to go to someone else?

You wouldn't be so butthurt if you watch where you sit! New microphone have a way of being invisible once you set them on a chair.

What's this guy's setup like? You could point out things to the other band members like his room treatment sucks, he has shitty Chinese made monitors, etc.

Dude, if you are a musician and you spent all this time learning how to properly record, you have not wasted your time even if you don't put those skills to use this time around. Your skills will come in handy.

So who exactly is butthurt? :D Just you or the other guys who chipped in too?

If you all decided to buy stuff and record yourselves, then who made the decision to go to someone else?

I'm the only one pissed about this, as I'm the only one who took the time to research and learn anything. We try to do everything democratically, and it was a 3:1 vote NOT in my favor. If it were up to them, they would just throw up a mic and hit record.

The part that really gets me is we've tried to use this guy before, and he's THE reason we decided to DIY it. Last time, he was a flake and a hack(not that I'm not, but I'm more invested in the project)

Know-nothings always get excited about Pro-Tools. I get asked all the time "You record at home? Do you use Pro Tools?" It's the only fucking name most retards know when it comes to recording.

Know-nothings always get excited about Pro-Tools. I get asked all the time "You record at home? Do you use Pro Tools?" It's the only fucking name most retards know when it comes to recording.

...and it pisses me off:mad:
Last time, we did a "live" recording, using mostly his gear; his amps, drums, etc. at full practice volume. It was over a year ago, so I don't remember much about it, other than we didn't nail the song like we should have. No worries, he's got protools . He'll fix it later. I should've known something was fishy and packed up.

What's this guy's setup like? You could point out things to the other band members like his room treatment sucks, he has shitty Chinese made monitors, etc.

Lol@ monitors. I def remember listening thru computer speakers, and a mixing board with half the channels not working.

Room treatment consisted of a couch, a recliner, a t.v., a fish tank, and some other stuff you might find in a "studio"

Record it yourself and with that other guy. Let the rest of the band see the ease and flexibility of yall doing it yourself. If you wanna change something, it's gonna be a hassle to do it with some other shmoe. If you control it all yourselves, you can do whatever you want. I never have really bought into the notion that "an outside set of ears for production is a good thing". Bullshit. No one knows how yall are supposed to sound like you do.

The first DAW I heard of was Ableton, followed by that big bloated thing Adobe makes with all the colorful Fourier analysis graphics and shit, followed by Garage Band and Reaper.

Lol@ monitors. I def remember listening thru computer speakers, and a mixing board with half the channels not working.

Room treatment consisted of a couch, a recliner, a t.v., a fish tank, and some other stuff you might find in a "studio"

Geez, my half-assed setup is even better than that. :laughings:

Record it yourself and with that other guy. Let the rest of the band see the ease and flexibility of yall doing it yourself. If you wanna change something, it's gonna be a hassle to do it with some other shmoe.

True, especially if the guy is a flake like the OP said. Those types get emotionally invested in their work and don't want to change anything.

Uh, pro tools can not fix suck.

No kidding. It's hard enough to get ONE guy to nail his parts, never mind we're a four piece and didn't do any warm-ups. Literally walked in, set up, hit record.

Did I mention it was over a year ago, and still haven't heard a mix of the ONE SONG we tracked?

Did I mention it was over a year ago, and still haven't heard a mix of the ONE SONG we tracked?

No. And the bandmates are still pulling for this guy? One song should've been mixed in less than 72 hours. Definitely not a professional situation there.

Record it yourself and with that other guy. Let the rest of the band see the ease and flexibility of yall doing it yourself. If you wanna change something, it's gonna be a hassle to do it with some other shmoe. If you control it all yourselves, you can do whatever you want. I never have really bought into the notion that "an outside set of ears for production is a good thing". Bullshit. No one knows how yall are supposed to sound like you do.

I have no clue what their reasoning behind this is? We practice and record in my house. I know the gear we use. We like the way the room sounds, and it's easy to treat when acoustic problems come up. All hardwood floors make it pretty easy to find to problems.

Maybe this time will be different, tho. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. They should be done tracking drums by now, and honestly, I've only tracked drums a handful of times with three mics. He has everything close mixed, at least

I'm the only one pissed about this, as I'm the only one who took the time to research and learn anything. We try to do everything democratically, and it was a 3:1 vote NOT in my favor. If it were up to them, they would just throw up a mic and hit record.

The part that really gets me is we've tried to use this guy before, and he's THE reason we decided to DIY it. Last time, he was a flake and a hack(not that I'm not, but I'm more invested in the project)

Start a side project, my friend, and blow them all away! :) That's what I'd do.

They should have named it "Average Tools" or "Good Tools"...that would help murder the hype. :laughings:

Start a company called *just as good pro tools* and charge $40. for it! Wait ............ :D Call it Reaper, or call it ....................

But in all seriousness a DAW is just that a DAW.

Back