Building studio from scratch....

smuffjules

I recently moved to a house with a seperate building which was a two car garage and workshop.
It's basically a good sturday shell with a concrete floor that is 31' by 23'6".
about 728 square feet in all.

So, not a huge space, but enough to do what I think I want to do.

I want to make the most of the space I have.

I guess I need to put a toilet in, which will take up maybe 4.6 by 5'6 or something...

What's the minimum size for an iso booth??????
I'm thinking about 5.6 to 6 ft square.

Maybe 9 by 10 for a drum booth????

I'm in Nashville, and will probably be recording acoustic music and some bluegrass based stuff quite often I guess, and want the ability to seperate all the instruments, as well as have a reasonable main room to fit three people in if necessary.
I've come up with a plan that i like, and will probably go for, but would LOVE some input from folks out there.

Thanks

It'd probably be easier if you'd post the sketch of what you're considering so we can better see what's possible, door locations, etc.

That's a nice sized space to start with but by the time you chop it up into bathroom, main room, vocal booth, drum room, etc. - you're going to end up with a lot of borderline small rooms. You might be better served not chopping it up quite so much.

Bryan

well,

I really want a bathroom n the studio so all the guests/ folks recording won't have to come into the house to do their business.
With all the dogs in there etc.
It'll just be more accessable and my wife also wants the bathroom in the studio.
I've posted a very rough idea here

You'll see the general dimensions but obviously there's wall thickness etc.

Thanks

Attachments

• studio design.jpg
    studio design.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 129
I'm sure more technically-minded people will address this in detail, but square rooms are not ideal for acoustics. However, since it looks like you've got some space to play with, you can mess around with different dimensions in different places I'm sure and find something that works.

Sorry I can't give you better answers, but I'm hoping some other people on here will have insightful feedback that we can all learn from.

Lucky you, though! :) I wish I had that kind of space...

more details

a few more measurements

I figure I have enough space to have a few iso booths, and a reasonably sized cotrol room.

I really do want to have three iso booths for recording live acoustic bands.

Separation not so much for the mixing, but for the preformances. I don't want a bad fiddle part leaking into a perfect bass part, guitar into mando. etc.

I'm sure i'll put some corner bass traps of sorts into the square booths/roos etc.
No too big, but I do want the isos just big enough to be comfortable.

Attachments

• studio design.jpg
    studio design.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 119
That's gonna be a funky studio with a lot of small, dead sounding rooms.

Big rooms sound better then small rooms. You can separate musicians in a big room with baffles and proper mic placement.

Add the bathroom, but leave the rest of the room as one big area; you will not regret it. judiciously place your equipment, using space as efficiently as possible and you should have nice, spacious project studio.
Trying to cut it into small spaces will really make it hard to live with.
Laying it out well, using the single large room should make it quite pleasant.
Any chance you can make the bathroom as an addition? maybe add on 10' by the entire length so you can have some storage space? It's hard to keep all the crap around that you are not using at the moment and not have it look really, really messy.
Don't forget about enough work illumination! I mean Plenty, Plenty of lights you can turn on when you are cabling, or vaccumming, or reaarangin things, or lokoing or the widget that fell off the drum hardware. I've seen lots of spaces that just had crap for working lights.
cheers
C,

Back