Building bass traps, shopping list.

I always thought you wanted the fabric to be non-breathable, not for any acoustic purposes but because it helped keep the particles from the insulation inside?

Naw man, breathable is what you want. Non breathable equates with reflective. Fibers of insulation finding a way out, is neither an issue, nor is it a health risk. It was thought to cause cancer (fiberglass), but that has been disproved. An irritant, yes. Life threatening, not. And that is the loose fiber stuff. Dense materials that you should use for bass traps (OC 703 or Roxul 80) has much less possibility of releasing fibers. Loosely weaved burlap is enough to keep it under control. Rockwool can be a bit smelly for a while. Nothing that Febreeze wont fix. :)

Bass traps

Naw man, breathable is what you want. Non breathable equates with reflective. Fibers of insulation finding a way out, is neither an issue, nor is it a health risk. It was thought to cause cancer (fiberglass), but that has been disproved. An irritant, yes. Life threatening, not. And that is the loose fiber stuff. Dense materials that you should use for bass traps (OC 703 or Roxul 80) has much less possibility of releasing fibers. Loosely weaved burlap is enough to keep it under control. Rockwool can be a bit smelly for a while. Nothing that Febreeze wont fix. :)

The best stuff I have seen is Rockwool packed into frames and sealed to stop if floating about.
You only need it about 50 to 75 mm thick for great sound absorbtion but the more the better.
Many sound studios use it here.
Good luck.
ciao

Ahhh ok yep! You're totally right! I went back and read the thing I thought said that, and looks like I just read it wrong.

Oops :D

*unless you use the discount asbestos bass traps - then you definitely do not want breathable!

But I just bought some... :(

:D

The thing I read was talking about blowing into the fabric and such, and it said that if it provides some slight resistant then it will keep the fibers and junk in. Somehow that became "non-breathable" in my mind! I've just been worrying about that lately because I don't want any irritants floating around...I sleep in my studio lol.

I sometime pass out in my studio. lol

What I ended up going with, was labelled as curtain backing. It was around $2.50 per yd. Quite breathable. Not shiny. No itchyness comes through, even when moving the portable ones.

Go to Walmart and get cheap fabric from their clearance bin. You can find 60" wide stuff for $1 or $1.50 per yard. The cheap thin stuff is what you want, no need to spend a lot of money on fabric. You can thank me. ;)

Go to Walmart and get cheap fabric from their clearance bin. You can find 60" wide stuff for $1 or $1.50 per yard. The cheap thin stuff is what you want, no need to spend a lot of money on fabric. You can thank me. ;)

Thanksssss dude :)

I almost bought fabric from Wally World, but I wanted a specific color thing. They just didn't have quantities of what I needed.

Back