building a studio space. general advise requested!

Thanks. Still don't quite get it, coz they don't appear, to me at least, to be both studios and home theatres.

What do you mean by "the 5.1 (or 20.2.2) field"?

And are you saying to have the viewer higher than the mix position? Could you explain why this would be done?

they're video edit/mix suites. surround sound suites are more complex to create than simple stereo mix rooms. the viewer (producer couch) is often higher in controls rooms to ensure field of view and also when using the larger monitors (typical in larger control rooms...) they are aligned correctly. if the viewer (producer) needs to be on the same level, then thats what you do...

here's a rough sketch of the idea:

Last edited:
they're video edit/mix suites. surround sound suites are more complex to create than simple stereo mix rooms. the viewer (producer couch) is often higher in controls rooms to ensure field of view and also when using the larger monitors (typical in larger control rooms...) they are aligned correctly. if the viewer (producer) needs to be on the same level, then thats what you do...

here's a rough sketch of the idea:

Ahh, yeah. I get you now.

Aren't those surround monitors too far back?

actually i'd put the front monitors up closer to the soffits... but its a rough 10 minute sketch...

Back