Building A New Desk

Do you want some help with the design?
If you have the dimensions and a layout of your room, I can do up a CAD for you.
Designing is one of my favorite part of the process.

Things to consider:
- How much gear you want to rack up? (now and in the near future)
- Do you need room for any mixers on top?
- Space restrictions? are there any?

Let me know if I can help.

Yea, for sure! I'll shoot ya a message in a minute.

Aww, make this CAD design public, we wanna see your creativity! SHAAAAAARE with the WOOOOORRRRRLD...... [/cheesy]

IMG00280-20111204-1007.jpg

Loaded just got it home and set up.
I had a couple offer's on it, so I've decided to to hold off on loading her up with gear!

That is awesome man, fantastic work!! I can't wait til I move to a permanent location, I'm SOOO doing something like that.. Even the padded armrests, way to go!

Hey GT, I really like that wraparound U-shape. Is that main desktop cut from a single sheet of wood? I like the lights under the monitor shelf too, sweeeet :D

When I finally DO get around to doing this, I'm going to incorporate ideas from both of these designs for sure.

The desk is sold to one of British Columbia's best producers.

The Story:
John Ellis emailed me and wanted to take a look at the desk.
So we set up a time for him to come and have a look.
When he sat down, he immediately said, "SOLD!"
(I still had no idea who he was)

So he paid the asking price and we took it a part and loaded it into his SUV.
There was one last thing that I had to do, for me to put the stamp of approval on the desk, So i arranged to meet him at his Home studio to bring the final piece and help him install it.
It was only after I walked into his house and set my things down on his dining room table did I see all the Awards and plaques on his walls.
2009 Producer of the year, 2008 producer of the year... and so on.

Then when he showed me his studio (as a guitar player, I focus in on his Three gibson's dating back from the 50's to the 70's) I was in aww of his gear.
We got to talking and we have actually worked with the same artist's.

Over all it was a fun evening.

When I got home I received another email from an engineer/ producer who works at Vancouver's "Armory".
We are going to be starting the design of a workstation for his home studio.

Seems that this year will be a good one for Capacity Workstations.

The desk is sold to one of British Columbia's best producers.

The Story:
John Ellis emailed me and wanted to take a look at the desk.
So we set up a time for him to come and have a look.
When he sat down, he immediately said, "SOLD!"
(I still had no idea who he was)

So he paid the asking price and we took it a part and loaded it into his SUV.
There was one last thing that I had to do, for me to put the stamp of approval on the desk, So i arranged to meet him at his Home studio to bring the final piece and help him install it.
It was only after I walked into his house and set my things down on his dining room table did I see all the Awards and plaques on his walls.
2009 Producer of the year, 2008 producer of the year... and so on.

Then when he showed me his studio (as a guitar player, I focus in on his Three gibson's dating back from the 50's to the 70's) I was in aww of his gear.
We got to talking and we have actually worked with the same artist's.

Over all it was a fun evening.

When I got home I received another email from an engineer/ producer who works at Vancouver's "Armory".
We are going to be starting the design of a workstation for his home studio.

Seems that this year will be a good one for Capacity Workstations.

CapacityWKS,

This is just plain awesome good sir. While I do not know you on a personal basis or even much less a forum basis. This just brought a warm feeling to my soul. I am very happy and thrilled for you. Your craftsmanship, is beyond talent. How awesome your story is.

Congratulations. Tonight I go to bed knowing that talent out there is being noticed.

Forum HI-5 to you!

-Thomas

P.S. One day I will visit the great land of BC. Your hometown is beautiful. I have a friend up there around the Coquitlam area.

P.S. One day I will visit the great land of BC. Your hometown is beautiful. I have a friend up there around the Coquitlam area.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for the HI-5 and the compliments.
I was just reading one of your postings last night. (the one about music and sports) It got me thinking. Great post!
The wood shop is in Coquitlam.
You should totally come out this way; it's wonderful here!
Anyway, I should hit the sack I have an early day tomorrow.
Cheers!

Question.

Have you ever entertained the concept of a woodgrain desk top? For example, a piece of veneered oak plywood with Barcoat over it, or an actual wood plank top and coated and sealed?

Cuz I have the idea of seeing a beat to hell ancient looking dining hall table from some Bavarian tavern, loaded with high tech gadgetry!

Question.

Have you ever entertained the concept of a woodgrain desk top? For example, a piece of veneered oak plywood with Barcoat over it, or an actual wood plank top and coated and sealed?

Cuz I have the idea of seeing a beat to hell ancient looking dining hall table from some Bavarian tavern, loaded with high tech gadgetry!

Answer.

Yes, there is a solid wood that I would like to use for a desk for myself. It's called "Ancient ", but the amount of wood I would need for the desk would probably run me close to $1500. Just for the lumber.

There is a neat story behind the wood you should watch the video.

Thanks guys.
I have a new project coming up for a local engineer from one of the biggest studio's in canada. The Armory.
He seems lie a really cool guy.
It should be a lot of fun working with him.

Back