Building a Fire

Greetings Monkey Allen and if I may say it again, this song is right up my alley!

Perceived loudness is often achieved in the mix! This is a meaningless statement, the first file I posted was louder.

Here's the 2 files 'nearly' level matched. Yours is as it came to me when downloaded at -12.3 LUFS Integrated (-0.9 TPM) and mine is now at -13.3 LUFS Integrated (-2.8 TPM) so yours is louder and should sound better!

Yours:
View attachment 117459

And mine (Late 80's Tom Petty inspired, thanks RFR):
View attachment 117462

What do you think? I don't think there's a 'better', just different.

I really do like the song but when I said the balance is off I meant that also, not to be 'mean' but it's what I hear (or don't hear when listening at very low levels 😉). I don't think the balance is massively off, it just isn't there yet and something to look at to improve the mix (and I concede that it's not technically possible for the balance to be off everywhere as at least one track has to be the 'reference' so it can't really be off :-)).

Don't give what I said a go just because I said it, it's your project and you should take it in whatever direction you want, that was just where I'd go with it (and the reverb on the guitars wasn't necessarily an issue in itself, it was a lack of reverb elsewhere for me, among other things).

Just as a matter of interest, what sound were you aiming for when you started mixing the song? Did you have any sound/reference in mind or are you mixing blind and seeing where you end up. Just wondering...
The vocal is set back into the song much better here. Quite an improvement in itself.

Wow, that's a lot to read!

There's not really much for me to add, I think you got what I was trying to say/show all by yourself Monkey Allen and your revised mix is definitely a step in the right direction and way closer to the 'Let there Be Rock' feel than what I did (not that I knew that was what you were aiming for in my defence :-)).

By the way, spring reverb on vocals is an interesting choice. I usually go for a room or plate and leave the spring for the stringed instruments but whatever works for you, it's all about the music after all! And kudos on making small moves and not massacring what you'd already done.

In answer to dobro, everything I did was on the master bus (for the reason Monkey explained, no tracks/stems for me) using EQ, 2 compressors (1 single band and 1 multiband compressing in places and expanding in others), reverb and saturation, basically all smoke and mirrors. Nothing was done in M/S (in case you were wondering).

Just to add to the stereo mono debate, I do the majority of my mixing in mono and switch to stereo later in the mix when most of the work is done. Some other mixers I know don't do this and probably think I'm an idiot! but whatever works for you right. It should be noted that the majority of music nowadays is consumed on headphones/ear buds and not the best quality ones, just something to ponder.

Critical listening is critical to getting a better mix. It must be, it say's so in it's name!

In answer to dobro, everything I did was on the master bus (for the reason Monkey explained, no tracks/stems for me) using EQ, 2 compressors (1 single band and 1 multiband compressing in places and expanding in others), reverb and saturation, basically all smoke and mirrors. Nothing was done in M/S (in case you were wondering).

Yeah, I *was* wondering - thanks very much for responding.
Just to add to the stereo mono debate, I do the majority of my mixing in mono and switch to stereo later in the mix when most of the work is done. Some other mixers I know don't do this and probably think I'm an idiot! but whatever works for you right. It should be noted that the majority of music nowadays is consumed on headphones/ear buds and not the best quality ones, just something to ponder.

I learned that 'start mixing in mono and when you get the EQ, compression and levels right, switch into stereo' thing from Graham Cochrane. I think it's really useful. But no matter when in the mix you start panning stuff, the prevalence of earbud listening (and over against that, the fact that when people *do* hear music through speakers, it's often a virtual mono experience anyway) means that when I pan stuff, I'm aiming for 'sounds better than mono' more than dramatic left/right separation. But that's just me, and I'd love to know if earbud listeners like hard panning - 'Wow. The whole drumkit's panned hard left. Sweet!'

Ah, forgive me - just me being stupid. I managed not to read the post about the second mix.

Okay, I listened to both MA mixes, and I like both. I prefer the second one slightly because it sounds more present, but I'm not sure how much of that is simply because it's louder.

Last edited:
I adored the tune - the mix I listened to has the players cramped a bit together center stage. Don't be afraid to used the pan pots!! :D

There's next to nothing in the wings.

Listen to the middle boogaloo section on mix 2 - the stereo field suddenly opens at the same time that the tempo slows down. It's as cunning as two Frenchmen. It makes it more dynamic than if the panning had been like that from the start. I *knew* I'd learn something from this thread.

I think the mix has that second guitar panned as far left and right from the start, but I think he raises the level on it in the middle section, which gives the impression of opening up.

Ok - my bad. I was commenting on the original mix. The second mix has a better panning spread, and THEN I got your subsequent comment. Now we're on the same page.

At issue is clarity and definition of the low end in the second mix.

As I said above: I adore the song ... but the bottom drops out in mix 2.

This is rock early. Make it want young folks want to grind.

Rock should hit the groin AND the mind.

That's the appeal.

It needs to pump.

It doesn't.

Ok - my bad. I was commenting on the original mix. The second mix has a better panning spread, and THEN I got your subsequent comment. Now we're on the same page.

At issue is clarity and definition of the low end in the second mix.

As I said above: I adore the song ... but the bottom drops out in mix 2.

This is rock early. Make it want young folks want to grind.

That's the appeal.

It needs to pump.

It doesn't.
Appreciate the comments. I'll try to make it better but I can only ever get as close as my studio and monitors and headphones can get me (and my mixing skills and my ears etc). From my end it sounds pretty rocking. Hard to take it that extra step when what I'm hearing seems already good.

But that's the whole home studio mixing challenge and dilemma I think.

Here's the 2 files 'nearly' level matched. Yours is as it came to me when downloaded at -12.3 LUFS Integrated (-0.9 TPM) and mine is now at -13.3 LUFS Integrated (-2.8 TPM) so yours is louder and should sound better!

Yours:
View attachment 117459

And mine (Late 80's Tom Petty inspired, thanks RFR):
View attachment 117462

What do you think? I don't think there's a 'better', just different.

Okay, time for me to eat some crow here. (Poor old crow.) Listening to the level-matched mixes, I prefer yours. (And you were only working with the stereo mixdown, like you said - no stems.) So you said you got there this way: "In answer to dobro, everything I did was on the master bus (for the reason Monkey explained, no tracks/stems for me) using EQ, 2 compressors (1 single band and 1 multiband compressing in places and expanding in others), reverb and saturation, basically all smoke and mirrors. Nothing was done in M/S (in case you were wondering)."

I don't know a way to sneak up on this, so I'll just ask: care to elaborate how you worked each of those elements you mentioned? I would really like to know. If you achieved that on the masterbus file, imagine what could have been done at the mix level.

Okay, time for me to eat some crow here. (Poor old crow.) Listening to the level-matched mixes, I prefer yours. (And you were only working with the stereo mixdown, like you said - no stems.) So you said you got there this way: "In answer to dobro, everything I did was on the master bus (for the reason Monkey explained, no tracks/stems for me) using EQ, 2 compressors (1 single band and 1 multiband compressing in places and expanding in others), reverb and saturation, basically all smoke and mirrors. Nothing was done in M/S (in case you were wondering)."

I don't know a way to sneak up on this, so I'll just ask: care to elaborate how you worked each of those elements you mentioned? I would really like to know. If you achieved that on the masterbus file, imagine what could have been done at the mix level.

Leave the crows alone! It's enough we eat the cows, sheep, pigs, rabbits, deer, snakes, alligators, chickens, emu etc. but I draw the line at crow!

I can't remember specifically what I did and I didn't save the session to look back but it probably doesn't matter anyway. I think it's more important to understand what it is we're listening to/for (assuming we all have decent monitoring because as we all know if you can't hear it you can't mix it, right).

When you listened to Monkeys post for the first time were you really listening to the mix or the song? It's an important distinction. All the comments were basically positive about the song, including mine, but what Monkey asked was "How does this mix sound?" and that wasn't so great.

I won't go through the whole mix pulling it apart but I will give you an example of what I'm listening for. Listen between 1 minute ish and about 1 minute 16 on the matched files.

There's various things to listen for, for example the kick but for now listen to the guitars and especially the panned guitar. For me when it plays it sounds nice in the 'song' but it swamps the 'mix'. So one of the things I tried to do was tame it and make it less prominent, it's still there in the 'song' and still sounds good but it doesn't swamp the 'mix'.

Another example would be that there are moments that I expect to happen and just don't appear and as K-dub commented:

That's the appeal.

It needs to pump.

It doesn't.

I agree but what does this really mean in practice for this mix? For me it's those moments when I'm dancing and a single, louder cymbal crash punctuates a transition in the song or a volume rise on a drum roll giving a sense of added urgency and excitement, things that you don't necessarily notice when listening to the song but need to be in the mix.

Preachy aren't I...

Even when I shift the focus from the song to the mix, there's still two things going on:

* not realizing what the mix needs

* even when I realize something it needs, how to 'make it so'

Even when I shift the focus from the song to the mix, there's still two things going on:

This could be long but to summarise what I believe are the fundamentals:

Critical listening, there, we're done (if only).

When you're listening to music casually, occasionally and purposefully, relax and pay attention to the mix. Listen for individual instruments and to what moves the mixer made. When you're out and about, occasionally sit, relax and take the time to listen. Try to pick things out individually among the bustle. What do you hear, from what direction, how far. The more you listen in that way the more you'll train your ear to hear. Within a few months you'll hear a whole new world!

Moving on... I'm a great believer (among many others), especially when starting out, in using 'successful commercial songs' (in the right style) as references throughout the mixing process (choose your own references if you're mixing your own project or ask for references if you're mixing someone else's). I use ADPTR Audio's Metric AB because it's easy, I can load a number of references and it takes care of volume matching well enough so I don't have to do it (because I'm lazy). The references can give you direction or clues as to what the mix needs, you don't have to copy them exactly but they'll let you know if you're out.

Don't do things just because you saw it on YouTube. I mean don't not do it but listen carefully to what you're doing, is it an improvement for your mix or not.

Learn your tools.

Don't buy hundreds of plugins before you've learnt to use the ones you've got (I'm assuming you're ITB).

Make small moves, listen and judge.

Don't be afraid to use your VST's presets and tweak (I'm assuming you're ITB).

Learn your tools (it's important so I've said it twice).

What I'd say to anyone that asked me is your mixing will improve the more you do it, you will be a better mixer in a year than you are now just by doing it more.

P.S. If your points were rhetorical please ignore everything I just wrote.

P.P.S. If you think I'm full of s**t please ignore everything I just wrote, you've probably heard it all before anyway.

So Human Planet are you talking about the rhythm guitar that's slightly on the left that is swamping the song? Coz I felt that it had/ has this kind of low mid vibe that's in the way. I tried to take some of that out in the 2nd mix without taking too much out.

About the monitoring...I reckon that's a big variable here in what we're all hearing. Another big variable is our listening experience or our critical listening experience. Like I said before, I've taken the song to where I'm just scratching my head for what more to do (I believe there's more to do, sure). My monitors and headphones are giving me a foot tapping mix basically.

And what dobro just said about:

...well this is just bang on the money. I'd love to take the song further...but don't know exactly what it needs or how to do it.

HP: I'm not a beginner mixer, but I want to take it to the next level, and you make all the noises of someone who's familiar with that level, hence all this badgering. I'd be shy of hijacking Mr Allen's thread ordinarily, but he seems interested as well, so I shall make bold to pursue my line of inquiry. (I talk funny sometimes. :-) )

I understand what you're saying in your recent response, but what would be really, really useful for me (especially since I've listened to 'Fire' mixes about 12 times so far and am familiar with it) would be if you were to break it down in terms of issues, tools used, and what the tweak was. So for instance: "The first issue was X, so I used a multiband compressor, and here's what I did with it." (Plus, I've already got the level-matched versions to listen to and actually hear how it sounds.) Plus, I really like this song, and MA would wind up with a better mix than he's got already. What do you say? Say yes.

I'm capable of bribery and flattery too, just so you know.

So Human Planet are you talking about the rhythm guitar that's slightly on the left that is swamping the song? Coz I felt that it had/ has this kind of low mid vibe that's in the way. I tried to take some of that out in the 2nd mix without taking too much out.

About the monitoring...I reckon that's a big variable here in what we're all hearing. Another big variable is our listening experience or our critical listening experience. Like I said before, I've taken the song to where I'm just scratching my head for what more to do (I believe there's more to do, sure). My monitors and headphones are giving me a foot tapping mix basically.

And what dobro just said about:

...well this is just bang on the money. I'd love to take the song further...but don't know exactly what it needs or how to do it.

Hiya Monkey Allen, the second mix is a better mix than the first for that type of reason, you heard it, you thought about it, you dealt with it, it sounds better.

I agree totally that monitoring is a big variable in what we're all hearing or not. As for critical listening, I refer the honourable gentleman to what I wrote above in my previous post (that's a UK Parliament reference! not that I'm a member of Parliament).

There are a few little things I think will improve the mix further that aren't too difficult to achieve and don't rely on super duper monitors to hear. Listen to the first 12 seconds, cymbals specifically. You start with 2 hits on a hi-hat then a crash, continue on with the hi-hat for seven bars and at 9 seconds in you have 4 open hi-hat hits and the crash again. If you look at those four hi-hat hits they are all pretty flat in volume, I would have, slightly, raised their volume over the 4 hits (carefully, not too much not too little) and had the crash louder (and continue on from there).

Is that the kind of thing you want to know? or am I way off.

HP: I'm not a beginner mixer, but I want to take it to the next level, and you make all the noises of someone who's familiar with that level, hence all this badgering. I'd be shy of hijacking Mr Allen's thread ordinarily, but he seems interested as well, so I shall make bold to pursue my line of inquiry. (I talk funny sometimes. :-) )

I understand what you're saying in your recent response, but what would be really, really useful for me (especially since I've listened to 'Fire' mixes about 12 times so far and am familiar with it) would be if you were to break it down in terms of issues, tools used, and what the tweak was. So for instance: "The first issue was X, so I used a multiband compressor, and here's what I did with it." (Plus, I've already got the level-matched versions to listen to and actually hear how it sounds.) Plus, I really like this song, and MA would wind up with a better mix than he's got already. What do you say? Say yes.

I'm capable of bribery and flattery too, just so you know.

Hey dobro, I feel like I'm the one being swamped here!

So you're not a beginner mixer but looking for the next level, you may be mixing at a higher level than me already! I'm completely ITB now by the way (in case you were wondering).

If you read back over the various posts, I think I've answered what you're asking about already:

"Take another listen to the balance, it's off everywhere. Rethink the focus, for me get that snare cracking and bring it forward (along with the whole drum kit maybe). Eq needs tweaking and open up the whole thing by reworking the reverb. Let the song take off and fly don't clamp it down to the ground!"

and then:

"In answer to dobro, everything I did was on the master bus (for the reason Monkey explained, no tracks/stems for me) using EQ, 2 compressors (1 single band and 1 multiband compressing in places and expanding in others), reverb and saturation, basically all smoke and mirrors. Nothing was done in M/S (in case you were wondering)"

Too general maybe? Those comments weren't supposed to be mix notes! :-)

This won't help you one little bit because what I did wasn't mixing! (at best 'maybe' some kind of re-mastering) but here goes anyway:

Opened a session in my DAW.

Loaded the stereo file, played it and listened.

The first thing I heard was the levels being off and 'mud', then it lacked width, energy and excitement beyond it being a good catchy song.

EQ, applied an instance of Pro-Q3 and adjusted the EQ as necessary to clear out mud and add clarity, I will have boosted the highs but can't remember exactly where or at what level.

Applied a TR5 SSL Style Bus Compressor, selected the 'The Glue' preset (should I explain why?) and, I think, adjusted the release time from 0.1 to 0.3 seconds (or maybe not, I can't remember but it seems like the kind of thing I would do) and played around with the threshold.

This settles the debate as to what comes first, the EQ or the compressor. Always EQ into the compressor, unless it's needed the other way around. See, settled.

The low end felt pretty empty so I applied an instance of Brainworx bx_subsynth (some people don't like it but I do and I'm right). I can't remember the exact settings I used but I do remember I couldn't add as much as I wanted to. If I was mixing this I would have the bass more present in the mix.

For different reasons I introduced two instances of Pro-MB (a bit excessive isn't it) the first to try and raise some frequencies in the mix and tame various level spikes that still existed in the mix at different frequencies and create some energy in the mix, and one was used at a specific frequency range to try and tame the guitar I mentioned in another post (or they may have been used the other way around but I don't think so).

Introduced a second instance of Pro-Q3 to attend to EQ issues that were introduced by using the compressors.

I then added an instance of Cinematic Rooms Professional Reverb (a bit pricey but worth every penny, I love it!) to a parallel channel. Route the mix channel to the parallel channel additionally not exclusively (we know that right). I selected the 'Ambiences - Hall Ambience' setting on 100% wet and made no adjustments to the reverb in terms of decay time etc. (although I might have brightened up the high end a bit) and adjusted the fader on the reverb channel down to a level I was happy with (and without starting a debate, I know that technically having the reverb in series and adjusting the wet/dry knob would yield the same result as having it in parallel but that's how I did it).

By the way, you might use terms like 'send' and 'return' and 'aux' but I don't as I know what I mean, especially when I'm talking to myself 😉.

Printed the file (I have a limiter on the master but I don't think it was doing anything) and shut down the session.

I think I said I got what I did to about 30% of where I think the mix should be. I may have exaggerated but it doesn't matter. It got Monkey thinking and he moved his mix on. In all honesty I still think it's a relatively weak mix (sorry Monkey but a great song!) that could be improved step by step with even small tweaks here and there but none of this will help anyone in any way as I WASN'T MIXING, it was all smoke and mirrors as I said before (see, talking to myself).

Is this what you had in mind?

What would you do?

Disclaimer: If I have left something out, it wasn't done intentionally (I've seen this written at the end of stuff before so it must be important). I talk funny sometimes too.

Last edited:
Back