Buffalo Springfield cover, constructive criticism???

uncle sixer

Another collaboration with my friend. I did all the music and he did vocals remotely and sent a couple stems. I love this song and I'm mostly pretty happy with this version, but always appreciate fresh ears giving a listen. Thanks in advance for feedback!

***NEW, UPDATED MIX LINK BELOW***

Last edited:
I like it. Great vocal. Could use some mix touch ups. Bass is way too hot. Vocal level could drop a bit too. Those two dominate the mix making some of the guitars too low.
However they seem to come up in the mix as the song progresses.

I like the way you suddenly end the tune.

On my list of all-time favorite tunes. I agree on the bass and vocal being too loud - mostly the bass, IMO. The lead guitar might could come up a bit, too.. except from 2:16 to the end where it seems fine.

Yeah, I don't have my proper gear with me here on vacay... listened in the car (where I expect it to sound a little boomy) and thought I should bump the bass a little, but obvs gave it a little too much. Thanks for the listens, I will update later today hopefully...

yea i agree with the above crits about the bass, but tho as it gets going there about the 230 mark the who mix jells better except the vox could be clearer
minor nits tho, this, as is is pretty bad ass.

Nice job overall. One clam at the end of the guitar solo.

My one comment is that much of it sounds too wet in general, which is contributing to a kind of muddiness a bit, IMO.

Just to be perverse, I don't think the bass is too hot, nor the voice too loud. The voice is wonderful and full of character, and sounds great being up front.

I wouldn't mind hearing the kit being up a bit, and my preference would be for a less busy guitar strum to create strength and space. The 'chime' is great, but once we've heard it, it can be dropped in level to blend in the overall mix more. The listener will still know it's there, but it won't be as annoying.

The bass might be a little forward but it doesn't bother me at all. Your interpretation and all that, plus it sounds good. On headphones the only element that stuck out to me is the kick which is cutting through a bit too well, maybe too much slap and not enough boom, or just knock it back db or 2. Everything else sounds very good. Nice job

You enunciate the final 't' of 'right' too clearly on 'everybody's right'. I'd cut the level on it a bit. Bet you're grateful I spotted that. :giggle:

Really, really good take on one of my favorite tunes ever. Good work.

I dig this! Love the Vocal, everyones well covered the nits... The groove
is there and the emotion, combine that with a great song like this and its
A Real nice listen. Some great suggestions above on a real nice job on this!

Thanks again, everyone, I need to put this one on the back-burner for a bit now with other things going on, but I really appreciate the feedback.

Since I am almost always producing/mixing things that I am playing, I think I come into the final mix holding onto feelings in the back of my mind that I need to let go of. Also, my friend does a lot of processing on his vox before sending stems to me, so I my production there is to just make them "fit" with the sound my instruments have. On this song in particular, my main vox treatment was getting rid of some breath noise between phrases (and also some creative copy/paste for the final choruses/guitar solo).

Anyway, I always find that other (unbiased) ears help me bring things to a better place.

Back