Budget Microphone - Acoustic Guitar/Vocals

Pacman454

Hi Guys

I am currently doing a bit of recording for a few bands. Its a humble studio with only electric drums triggering superior drummer, bass and guitars are all recorded dry through a pod x3 and processed In the box. (The only thing use mics for at the minute are vocals and acoustic guitars)

The only mics I have are SM58s which i have from gigging and 2 SM57 copies - the results so far have been Decent enough.

Vocals: The Sm58 has been fine so far but most of the vocalists I have worked with have had powerful rocky voices. I fear that when I get a female in to record or someone with a more gentle voice that the Sm58 wont cut the cheese and I may need a condenser mic.

Acoustic Guitar: Currently recording semi acoustics using both the 1/4" output on the guitar and one SM58 then blending them together. Results so far have been disappointing despite it being a great sounding guitar.

If you guys have any recommendations on mics for the job - (Or one mic that could do both) I would greatly appreciate it. I have spend 200 - 300 euro to spend. I need a pop filter and Reflection Filter too though.

Thanks guys

Forgot to mention I also have a yamaha Mg 166 usb mixer which I haven't used for recording yet .. so lack of phantom power on the Pod X3 won't be a problem for condenser mics

Vocals: The Sm58 has been fine so far but most of the vocalists I have worked with have had powerful rocky voices. I fear that when I get a female in to record or someone with a more gentle voice that the Sm58 wont cut the cheese and I may need a condenser mic.

You're probably right. There's no reason you can't get a decent sound with the 58, but with softer sources the preamp (and noise) might become an issue.
Something like a Rode nt1a might make the world of difference here.

Acoustic Guitar: Currently recording semi acoustics using both the 1/4" output on the guitar and one SM58 then blending them together. Results so far have been disappointing despite it being a great sounding guitar.

Try everything for yourself but I generally wouldn't recommend the jack output here.
I'm sure it has its place, but I never use it.
A pal of mine sent me some really nice mono acoustic guitar recordings this week and, it turns out, he was using an mxl990! Cheap as chips.
I generally record acoustic guitar in stereo with either Oktava mk219s or Shure sm81s.
I used to use Samson CO2 mics which were dirt cheap but they weren't all that bad to be honest.
If you're playing the long game I'd aim higher though. ;)

If you guys have any recommendations on mics for the job - (Or one mic that could do both) I would greatly appreciate it. I have spend 200 - 300 euro to spend. I need a pop filter and Reflection Filter too though.

Thanks guys

I generally prefer SDCs on acoustic guitar, but a Rode NT1a, oktava mk219 or some of the MXL LDC mics should work just fine for vocals/acoustic.
If stereo recording interests you then the top of your budget might get you a pair of MK219s on ebay. ;)

I dont have much experience yet so my personal knowledge is limited however I was using a dynamic for vocals and wanted to switch to condenser. I was looking at the Rode NT1a myself, but came across a used (but new condition, looks like someone never took it out of the plastic) MXL V63M (which run around $99 new i believe and i got it for $50) and so far I love it. Its my first condenser but I figured I'd give it a try before the Rode NT1a since I had 90 days and the Rode is like $200 more than i got this one for. Another that was suggested to me was AT2035. I might check that one out as well. My previous experience is with cheaper dynamic mics and was mostly using an MXL R-144. I may pick up a Shure SM58 even I start doing stuff live, but far as studio goes, i'm enjoying this V63M so far

I have been working with an AKG 170 for 12th fret placement and an sE Audio for sound hole recording (up and over my shoulder or on the side, but not direct) I use a compressor with a -50dB threshold setting for background noise (hard to get a quiet place)and keep the compression turned off. Might not be perfect, but it seems to work for my usage.

Something like a Rode nt1a might make the world of difference here.

Thanks Mate, I have been doing some looking into the NT1a since you mentioned it. Seems like a Solid mic for the price. (And should be able to resell if I want to upgrade down the line.)

Back