budget condenser for acoustic guitar

yarek

Could you recommend an entry level but good sounding condenser mic that would be mainly for the purpose of recording acoustic guitar? Also what characteristics is good if I look for a kinda mic that wouldn't pickup to much of background noise (noisy street ect.)? Is there any good compromise between good sound and good separation from background noise. TIA for help!

The C2 by Behringer. You can pick up a pair for $60. Flat freq response, smooth and not harsh in the upper midrange. One of the best values in a small condensor mic. Next up would be SM81s (more expensive), an excellent mic for acoustic sources, without the harshness of many of the budget mics out there.

MXL 603s or 604.

To cut down on ambient noise you could use a dynamic mic but on the other hand condensor mics (like the MXLs) are generally better suited to acoustic instruments (which I guess is why you're asking about condensors?). So a bit of a dilemma, there's no compromise really, condensor mics will generally pick up a lot of background noise.

If the background noise is unacceptable try a dynamic, you might find it acceptable. I've got OK results with an electrovoice 635a on acoustic guitar before. It's an omni mic but it's a dynamic so won't pick up too much background noise. They can be had used on ebay for around £50.

You might want to try one of the acoustic shields like the SE reflexion filter. I can't vouch for it as far as blocking out background noise goes but it might be worth a try if you could borrow one or get one from a place with a good return policy (online places always have a no quibble returns policy because of distance selling regs).

I lived on a busy main road for a couple of years, it's a pain I know. I ended up getting a stage box and recording at the back of the house.

Could you recommend an entry level but good sounding condenser mic that would be mainly for the purpose of recording acoustic guitar? Also what characteristics is good if I look for a kinda mic that wouldn't pickup to much of background noise (noisy street ect.)? Is there any good compromise between good sound and good separation from background noise. TIA for help!

The Studio Projects B1 would fit the bill, but it will also pick up the ambient noises too. I tend to record very late at night to avoid street sounds.

I like these

yarek,

A very nice cardiod condenser for acoustic guitar and drum overheads is the Audio Technica Pro37 and Pro37r microphone. I have also used the MXL 603 but I liked the Pro37s a little bit better in the details in the highs.

For an omni condenser it's hard to beat the naiant's in the budget arena.

I also recommend dynamic omnis. You can put these really close to the instrument and cut down on a lot of room noise. EV 635a, RE50, or PL9. Shure SM61 or SM63. The Realistic 1070b, c, or d, made by Shure, is my personal favorite.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

I'm having some success with a pair of Naiant MSH-2, and they're about as budget as you're going to get!

I agree. The new Naiant X-Qs are good. I just picked two matched pairs, and spent last weekend making a few Jecklin discs of various shapes, sizes and materials to play with. Very nice, especially when run through a decent pre. And yes, you can get a decent mic for $32.

Thanks guys! I think i'll just start with budget condenser pair and see how nagging the noise issue really is. Then might switch to dynamic...

If you're really on a tight budget, you can try a personal electret lapel mic, clipped (via some cloth or rubber) directly to the treble side of the soundhole, outside, not inside the guitar. This is quite good at eliminating background noise for two reasons - 1) the response is omni which (contrary to popular belief) improves foreground to background ratio. 2) the closeness means you can reduce gain, again reducing background noise. Another advantage is that you don't have to worry about sitting still to play! However, because of the near field effects, you will need to experiment with equalisation.

Lots of good advise here! I'll definatly throw another vote to the Naiants... I've got a pair of MSH-2s, and they are great mics. But, if you can hear stuff outside with your ears, you'll hear it with these mics.

The suggestion for the Lav mic is also a good one. I've got an AT PRO70 that I've used on acoustic with some success.

I've used a modded 603s but actually like my NTK better on my acoustic (Taylor 614). For a cheap LDC, I've heard some folks are having good luck with the SP1 if you can get one.

Paul:D

Audio Technica 831b

If you're really on a tight budget, you can try a personal electret lapel mic, clipped (via some cloth or rubber) directly to the treble side of the soundhole, outside, not inside the guitar. This is quite good at eliminating background noise for two reasons - 1) the response is omni which (contrary to popular belief) improves foreground to background ratio. 2) the closeness means you can reduce gain, again reducing background noise. Another advantage is that you don't have to worry about sitting still to play! However, because of the near field effects, you will need to experiment with equalisation.

Hi,

The Audio Technica 831b comes with a felt lined clip to protect your wood. It sounds fantastic on an acoustic guitar rivaling any of the mics mentioned. It was designed for video studio. It's not good for live sound because it feeds back like crazy. But it's great for recording where you monitor the guitar in the room or through headphones.

When I record outside and have excessive forest noise I use this and then an omni or a cardiod on a stand. Then I can control the little birdies in the mix.

What can I say. They like to sing along.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Do you have reasonable soldering and basic metal working skills? If so you could make your own mics that sound really, really good. I've made a bunch of them and all those who have heard them are simply amazed at their performance.

Take a look at the TapeOp article on building condenser mics with a 6mm capsule. It's an omni, but you make a couple of them for under $10.00.

If you are more ambitious and wouldn't mind trying to build a unidirectional mic, you can check out the mics that Stefan Avalos made. Stefan's mics are based on work by Scott Helmke.

You can also google DIY mics to find more info on how to build your own mics.

:) :) :)

I really am liking my MXL 604 which is the same as the 603 plus an omni cap. It really sounds good for Nylon string too. I've gotten very good tone combining my 4033 and the 604 as well on some instruments. I know it sounds strange to combine a LDC and a SDC but it sounds great.

I haven't heard the Naiant but I can say that the Behringer ECM 8000 which is really cheap at $49 didn't sound good at all compared to the 604 and now I regret getting a pair of them instead of another 604. Maybe I will use them for measurement eventually...

Back