Breathless take 2

Doug H

I'll be there
I've uploaded a new and hopefully better version of this tune. Im interestedin any feedback, especially from anyone who listened to the first version. Here's what I did

I went for more of that "band inside the drums" sound, which I think is works better for sparse mixes. The rythm guitar is a bit subdued, although maybe not that much, and I've raised the rythm section a bit which gave the mix a bit more headroom and "air". I also retracked the vocals and added a slight reverb on the lead. I liked the tone bone dry but it sort of stuck out in the mix to me. There's some new drum sequencing as well.

It's still got some wonky guitar playing, so be warned it's not a polished production. I'm mostly looking for mix feedback here.

Doug

Breathless

I hate that snare!

Sorry...people hate my snare too so you might want to consider the source here...

The song is moody...that's alright. The guitar seems way too loud.

yeah the snare is kinda dry....not too bad for me tho..
im diggin the guitar part the intro ....theheavier guitar that comes in sounds like it might be a tad hot...or redlined when you recorded it...
BRING THE VOCALS UP
oh well they came up onthe second one through..lol..NICE
i dont know why ...but this has a cool pearl jam vibe to it maybe its that groovy giutar hook....whatever it is i like it.

lead is perfectly sparse ....fits PERFECT.
oh yeah i thought the drums level wise sat pretty good too.

ok

jamal.

Jamal Bucket said:
BRING THE VOCALS UP
oh well they came up onthe second one through..lol..NICE
i dont know why ...but this has a cool pearl jam vibe to it maybe its that groovy giutar hook....whatever it is i like it.

I agree with Jamal - vocals UP!

It's getting better, dude. Still, I'd agree that the vocal needs to be more up-front. And (personal bias) I still think that the rhythm guitar is a bit overbearing. The snare that jake-owa hates doesn't bother me at this point. I'll be interested to hear how it works if you bring the vocal out and make any other "fixes."

Keep at it, man!

Sounds good, nice lead guitar sound, the rhythm is overdriven however. The whole mix builds to the clip point on my system. turning it down corrects this. vocals/ as above stated.

jake-owa
Thanks for the listen. The snare is pretty dry and loud. Some oddball velocities here and there don't help either. I'm definately going to put a bit of verb on it next mix. I have to agree the guitar is too dominant.

Jamal Bucket
The rythm was tracked well below clipping, but I may have run some eq on it leaving it a bit edgy. Thanks a lot for the great comments!

groovejunkie
Thanks for checking it out. I've been mixing the vocals as loud as the boom in the track will allow. I'm still trying to get a better tone in the first place.

B.SABBATH
Thanks for the feedback.

beaverbiscuit
"Keep at it, man!"
Thanks alot, I really want to nail this one, or at least get it sounding like a beefy demo. I'm working on it. And I agree, the guitar is still too loud.

wfaraoni
Thanks!
The mix itself isn't that hot. I think it's the rythm guitar is just rough and loud. I've got to work on that a bit, because I'd like to get a bit more overall volume, but I don't want it too rough.

Disclaimer: didn't hear the first one...

I don't think you'll need to bring the vocals up too much more if you cut that middle guitar down some and push it more to the left.

Ya, good song. I'd start with cutting back that guitar and see what you have for space there.

That may do it, I like where the vocals are sitting right now compared to the rythm section, given I even them out a bit Thanks for checking it out.

I didn't hear the first one either, but...

I don't hate the snare, I just think the drums are to dry in general. But that is a matter of taste. And for guitar, if it were me I'd try cutting some mid and brightening them up a little. Pretty good tune though.

Hardcore
Thanks for the comments. I'm definately going for dryish drums no question about it. I'm gonna play around with them a bit tho.

Back