Boy, You leave For One Night and Miss Everything!

crawdad

Dammit, Jim, Shut Up!
I come home from a gig...I'm working on some tracks...decide I better check into the clinic, and we've got confessions, denials, deleted threads, accusations and who knows what else I missed. Just when it was all beginning to get interesting. :D

So, please--somebody give me the capsule review. The gist I got was mixmkr said he was the Critic, ChrisHarris posted some thread, deleted it--now we have a mixmkr denial thread. Boy, its hard to know the players without a program...

This whole thing has just gone too far. Look--I'm just gonna say this once. The first premise is this: if any of us were true pros (deals, record labels, world product), we wouldn't be posting here to begin with--don't ya think? If I had a deal and was working on my new album, I certainly wouldn't bother.

Allow me my illusions here, as simple minded as they are. I don't claim to make consumer ready masters and I don't think anybody else here does either. So, the point of the mp3 clinic is not to give a thumbs up/thumbs down based on pro product. Its more to measure the distance between home recordings and what is produced by professionals in high dollar environments. Obviously, that distance is different for each person who posts his wares.

Look--I am a simple person with a simple heart--and my heart tells me to help those I can help to the best of my ability, and to ask for help from others when I need it. I'm not so proud that I can't accept criticism. I think its important and can really help us grow in our efforts. The key word is HELP. I've posted some pretty brutal critiques myself, but my GOAL was not to inflict damage, but to point out what was neccessary for a person to grow and improve his/her work. I've had some pretty blunt, but truthful criticism thrown my way. In the end, its helpful, provided that the intention behind the criticism is based on help and not on destruction.

Artists are sensitive and introspective beings for the most part. Its a subjective consciousness to create. Difficult to always see the whole picture objectively. So critiques are valuable and needed. Its part of the process of narrowing the gulf between amateur and pro.

The clinic is not just about the amateur/pro gap, though. For some, its a means of expression that they would not have otherwise. What standard are we to hold each other to? I think we have to look at where the person and his work is at, and give criticism that inspires the person to get to the next level of his/her journey as an artist. Depending on who it is, it might be a million different answers. Whats the point of tearing apart somebody who's been recording for six months, using the standards of fully pro recording? Isn't it better to give a few suggestions that are USEFUL to that person?

a_super_critic, in his goodbye thread, said we can go on patting each other on the back and basically praising each other. Well, his view is that everything should be fully pro or else its garbage. Ideally, his standards apply, but, folks, this is the real world. Its the MP3 mixing clinic for HOME recording people--many who do this for a hobby, or a way of release, or as a means of expression--or even as a way to just share themselves and their creations with others. I think mr. critic pissed people off because his standard didn't really apply here. Take it to the real world and critique real CD's from record companies. This is a CLASSROOM. A place to LEARN and SHARE. Its a place to get some freakin' help and to help others.

If we can't create a SAFE environment for that to happen, then the clinic becomes a joke. Just about everybody here GETS IT. We help each other. We don't shit on each other, but we don't lie either. We address each individual based on our take on what that person needs to get to the next level. We don't give a person an impossible goal--we look for the goal that is attainable for that person--the next step in the process. We are wannabes, for sure--but some of us are gonna rise up and be the real deal. Now, that is something to support. You can say "I was a part of that persons climb to being a pro". Its all step by step. As we celebrate the arrival of a SluiCe, Macle or Erland, the only person who will be grinding his teeth and bitching will be a_super_critic--whoever that really is. The rest of us will just celebrate and find joy in the music. And I'll be right there with them.

crawdad said:
So, please--somebody give me the capsule review.

I've been only sporadically checking in the last few days but my impression is that there are plenty of folks here who haven't figured out that the minute you respond to a troll in any way, THE TROLL HAS WON. It's really that simple.

Anyway, back to the mixes. And crawdad, what's happening with the "We Are The World" thing?

Chris

Look if you really want to take a bleak, post-modernist interpretation then a lot of what A_Super_Critic said was correct.

- It is nice to have people tell you that your music is nice
- It is true that we all secretly long to be discovered for the musical genii we truly are

But hey! That is human nature!

It is also true what Crawdad says -

- We aren't pro's
- We all learn from each other
- We all have day jobs :(

But hey, that is capitalist life in the 21st century

But there are basic facts in life -

- Treat people like an arsehole and you will get treated the same way
- You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar
- Constructive criticism and practical experience is the most important teacher

Ultimately there are some people in life who seek validation from belittling others. Power games suck, contribute your music and let the love flow on.

<goes to look for peace pipe>,

:) Q.

Al, I'm really hoping all this shit blows over before I get back from vacation. It's disgusting. If I come back and there's still 10 OT threads about imposters and harsh critics or any other non-sense on the 3rd grade schoolgirl level I'm all done with it. Every time I've had a few minutes to visit the page, all I see is this crap being dragged across the floor for everyone to slip on. When I read the text here, it honestly reads like 90% of the subscribers here are under 15 years old. Terrible. A lot of people have let this "super-critic" guy ruin this board. Ruin. And in my mind, by giving it this much attention, those people are also responsible for ruining it. What a waste of a potentially great forum.

Is this what we call fun here? It's like Jerry Fucking Springer.

[edit] I'm going fishing. Maybe see y'all in a couple weeks. Happy Fourth of July.

Later,
Tom

Last edited:
SLuiCe said:
I'm going fishing. Maybe see y'all in a couple weeks. Happy Fourth of July.

Hope ya catch a big one - my last time out was as successful as my lead guitar :( But then again, it's winter here.....

Cya,

Qwerty said:
- We aren't pro's
- We all learn from each other
- We all have day jobs :(

But hey, that is capitalist life in the 21st century
:D
See, where should I begin. I quit my daytime job to go study music fulltime. So I don't have a daytime job. Then; I just found a parttime job with a soundcompany. So, I guess I'm a bit of a pro too. But you're right on the learning part. :D

Oeh... I love to be an ass. :p

Qwerty said:
- Constructive criticism and practical experience is the most important teacher

Now that I like. And if the critic is not constructive, or can be bend to use in a constructive way anyhow, it's not to the point. Ignore it.

Qwerty said:
<goes to look for peace pipe>,

Pass it on, will ya. :D

Crawdad,is 100% right.

Were none of us pro's.
Everyone who enjoys being here,enjoys the music that's posted here.
Like Iv'e said before,with the equipment we all use,the quality of the recordings is phenomenal!

As far as the people who just want to bust chops,we all have to look at this place a little differently.

The board is growing rapidly,and with that growth,as with any growth,your going to get good and bad.
It is a free board,so everyone is allowed their opinion.
Just like in the real world.

I'm starting to think some of these guys are kind of funny.
Their opinions are so ridiculously childish as to be humorous.

I say,either laugh at them,or ignore them.

We have a great core group here.
Everybody has to get over the shock factor of these jerks,and carry on as usual.

But for anyone to leave because of it is the wrong answer.
It's just like any other club.
If you really like being there,you just adapt to the situation,and adjust accordingly.

Pete

"Whats the point of tearing apart somebody who's been recording for six months, using the standards of fully pro recording? Isn't it better to give a few suggestions that are USEFUL to that person?"

Zackly. Crawdad, you just went way up in my estimation - that entire post was eloquent and right on the money.

Roel said:
Pass it on, will ya. :D

Hits the man.

........................wishes he had the balls or talent to do the same :)

WTG!

;) Q.

P.S. What's the link to the "Roel's Guide to Quit Ur Job And Make A Packet In The Recording Industry"?

I try not to participate in the crap as much as I can. I get sucked in time to time (there's an asshole in me trying to get out:cool: )but I make an effort to contain it. I found out the hard way in life that there's no future in being a jerk.

I'm (kinda) with SLuiCe on this one... I've gotta do some personal stuff for a bit... but I'm done with everyone here for the most part. There are a few people's stuff I will listen to, but my comments won't go beyond their posts.

ah...the Harris way of "lawyer'in"... guilty until proved innocent.

Kramer, fender... and Chad... sorry to loose you as BBS "friends"... oh well... maybe time will change your opinions.

and one last statement (to let MY jerk come out of me!)

Fuck all you assholes who believed my (tongue in cheek) confession. But, it showed all the people who I could stand to ignore in the future....or those just too plain stupid to relate to. Yeah...I get a trip from acting like the trolls around here...gimme a break.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

crawdad said:
So, please--somebody give me the capsule review. The gist I got was mixmkr said he was the Critic, ChrisHarris posted some thread, deleted it--now we have a mixmkr denial thread.
oh...and I'll give you a capsule review...

How about Harris posted first... then believe whatever the fuck anyone wants after that... it doesn't seem to matter. People will believe what they WANT to believe.

crawdad said:
This is a CLASSROOM.

Wow. Heavy. It seems so obvious.

So we coulda just sent SC to the principal's office, huh?:D

Seriously, Al, this is a great perspective on this whole thing. You rock.

Gonna post your Chia Pet song???:p

Daf

DANG IT!!!

I can't believe I missed that...!!!

one stupid night of hanging out at my brother's, and I miss a freaking HUGE development in "As the Clinic Turns".

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

That's it...!! I'm never leaving again!! I'm just gonna sit here at my computer and refresh the front page of the clinic every 5 seconds so I'll never miss anything again....

(hhhhmmm.... I wonder if my wife will have a problem with that?)

:p

:D

WATYF

Re: Re: Boy, You leave For One Night and Miss Everything!

groucho said:
I've been only sporadically checking in the last few days but my impression is that there are plenty of folks here who haven't figured out that the minute you respond to a troll in any way, THE TROLL HAS WON. It's really that simple.

Chris

This is true and is the only way to fight the troll. Once you say "oh, there he is.." or "oh just ignore him", the troll gets the response and the troll wins.

SLuiCe said:
Al, When I read the text here, it honestly reads like 90% of the subscribers here are under 15 years old. Terrible. A lot of people have let this "super-critic" guy ruin this board. Ruin. And in my mind, by giving it this much attention, those people are also responsible for ruining it. What a waste of a potentially great forum.

I'm the one that started that thread to super critic, if he's gone, I'm glad(looks like I've got some reading to do.) If I had any part however in helping to ruin this forum, I am truly sorry.
Btw: Crawdad: I'm not sure it could have been put any better. If your teachin' class, I'll bring my pencil this time.
-joe

okobd - this forum isn't ruined any more than an elevator's ruined when someone farts in it. This place goes way deeper than the vicious comments of one person with a personality problem.

Re: Re: Re: Boy, You leave For One Night and Miss Everything!

groucho[/i] [b]I've been only sporadically checking in the last few days but my impression is that there are plenty of folks here who haven't figured out that the minute you respond to a troll in any way said:
This is true and is the only way to fight the troll. Once you say "oh, there he is.." or "oh just ignore him", the troll gets the response and the troll wins.
Well... that's true... unless your goal is to have a little fun by playing with the troll, knowing full-well that his nature will be to respond to whatever you say. :p

(I mean... come on... some of those softballs he was lobbin' up for me... I woulda been crazy not to hit those oat of the park. :p )

But yeah... I agree... It shoulda been taken to the Cave... This clinic got way too cluttered up with a bunch of crap about anything but music... that was silly.

I promise not to play with the trolls in the future. :cool:

WATYF

Thanks

Thanks dobro,
I was really startin' to feel bad. But just in time, out comes the humor and honesty that made me keep coming back in the first place.
-ok

Back