boxy guitar

rockabilly

Hey guys. Im workin on some non rockabilly recordings to kind of explore music and have been recording some different style tunes i wrote that I am not used to recording.

Anyway, the problem im having is that in the songs, when the heavy guitar comes in in parts of emphasis before chorus, they seem to be kind of "boxy"....kind of not shining the emphasis in the mix. Just dead - like mono vs stereo. The recorded guitar tracks sound great alone, so im guessing its a mix prob.

Any suggestions to what is going on and how I can fix this? The drums are fake keyboard drums by the way, holding place for real ones. Below you can hear some of the tunes.

check it out at myspace.com/official1030

Mainly check out the song "The Ender".

thanks for any help.

If they sound great by themselves but not in the mix, it usually is caused by phase cancelation. Something is out of phase with certain frequencies in the guitar. Try soloing the guitar with different other tracks, and find the culprit. try reversing the phase (invert) on the instrument that offends, see if that helps. If not, try delaying the offending tracks by 1 or a few samples. That COULD help. Hope this helps a little.

(edit)
to be honest, man, in listening to your myspace, the guitar sounds just fine to what type of music it is. (the guitars and vocals are my favourite part of the recording) That kind of muddy tone works really nicely with that type of music, and honestly I like the guitar tone for what you're playing Take a break from it and listen after that, see what you like. I think adding some beefier drums will fll things up a bit. The guitar doesn't sound to me like it needs too much, maybe try a little reverb to sludge it out a bit (Audio Damage Reverence maybe?). When you get live drums, I would place them a little bit higher in the mix. What drum sound are you planning on putting in the tracks? I wouldn't worry about the gutiars tho...they work very nicely with those tracks (if I were putting songs of that type together, I would be going for a guitar tone just about the same as what you have there... muddy guitars sound awesome for that stuff). Some bass can really fill out the guitar more than you would think. Even if it's just doubling up the guitar and little else.

Cool tracks anyway, very Weezer. I like em quite a bit. Cool songwriting and vocals are really cool. Catchy. I'll give you an add from my myspace page.

Last edited:
TerraMortim said:
If they sound great by themselves but not in the mix, it usually is caused by phase cancelation. Something is out of phase with certain frequencies in the guitar. Try soloing the guitar with different other tracks, and find the culprit. try reversing the phase (invert) on the instrument that offends, see if that helps. If not, try delaying the offending tracks by 1 or a few samples. That COULD help. Hope this helps a little.

That is one possibility. In which some delay on one of the tracks might well help or flipping the polarity or phase reversing the channel. The most likely thing however is a simple case of frequencies fighting with other. Where you get a lot of things occupying the same frequency space, they conflict with each other, causing muddiness amongst many other things. Obviously delaying it by a couple ms isn't going to help that.

Bear in mind that I haven't listened as I am at work and can't, but will do when I get home. this is just my $0.02.

The guitars may sound good solo'd, but it's not much use to the mix. The contents of your tune, which instruments are used, timbre, volume, dynamics, emmited frequences...all manner of things really can affect how corresponding instruments sound, due to such things as frequency cancellation etc etc. Don't worry about what your guitar sounds like on its own. Start your mix with all tracks set with faders at zero, all EQ's switched off, no effects. Pan everything centre and do all this in mono if you can stand it. (I personally don't do the mono thing much). Then just listen to it from beginning to end, make some notes, what does it need, adjust some volume faders if neccessary to get the levels how you like them. Then listen again, keep make more notes on what you think you need to do, then do it. Don't listen to the instruments solo'd unless you are looking for something very particular. The key is to work on the mix, and the combination of the instruments as a collective and how they are to complement each other.

You may find you need to make some EQ cuts to make room. If your guitars are fighting with the bass, for example, find out where, and make a few cuts.
Try using a high pass to roll off your guitars at around 150hz. This should stop some of those low end frequencies interfereing...etc etc.

All a bit waffly I know, but my main jist is that how an instrument sounds on it's own pretty much ain't going to be how it sounds in a mix. So try to listen to what the mix needs, not the individual instruments. . :)

I have a listen to it when I get home and let you have my very amateur opinion if it's any use. :)

legionserial said:
That is one possibility. In which some delay on one of the tracks might well help or flipping the polarity or phase reversing the channel. The most likely thing however is a simple case of frequencies fighting with other. Where you get a lot of things occupying the same frequency space, they conflict with each other, causing muddiness amongst many other things. Obviously delaying it by a couple ms isn't going to help that.

Bear in mind that I haven't listened as I am at work and can't, but will do when I get home. this is just my $0.02.

The guitars may sound good solo'd, but it's not much use to the mix. The contents of your tune, which instruments are used, timbre, volume, dynamics, emmited frequences...all manner of things really can affect how corresponding instruments sound, due to such things as frequency cancellation etc etc. Don't worry about what your guitar sounds like on its own. Start your mix with all tracks set with faders at zero, all EQ's switched off, no effects. Pan everything centre and do all this in mono if you can stand it. (I personally don't do the mono thing much). Then just listen to it from beginning to end, make some notes, what does it need, adjust some volume faders if neccessary to get the levels how you like them. Then listen again, keep make more notes on what you think you need to do, then do it. Don't listen to the instruments solo'd unless you are looking for something very particular. The key is to work on the mix, and the combination of the instruments as a collective and how they are to complement each other.

You may find you need to make some EQ cuts to make room. If your guitars are fighting with the bass, for example, find out where, and make a few cuts.
Try using a high pass to roll off your guitars at around 150hz. This should stop some of those low end frequencies interfereing...etc etc.

All a bit waffly I know, but my main jist is that how an instrument sounds on it's own pretty much ain't going to be how it sounds in a mix. So try to listen to what the mix needs, not the individual instruments. . :)

I have a listen to it when I get home and let you have my very amateur opinion if it's any use. :)

yes, but there isn't much in the way of things to compete for those frequencies on the mp3s I heard, that's why I suggested maybe playing with the phase between whatever is "boxing" it up. Things being out of phase with certain frequencies of other instruments,believe it or not, can be just as much of a culprit as EQ. Phase is all based on time relationships, and it would actually change the phase relationship between two things when you delay them in small incriments from each other, or sometimes outright flipping the phase. Anyway, the guitars sounded just fine to me (a muddy tone worked very nicely, and I dunno how a more crisp tone would go over in that type of writing), just need to bring up the drums make them more beefy and some bass would help things quite allot as well.

Having listened to it now, the guitars actually sound pretty good. One thing I would say is to maybe (and this is all personal opinion mind) ride the snare and push it up a bit in the chorus and intro, maybe stick a very teensy bit of reverb on it. Snare as it is works really nicely for the verses, but doing this would give it some kick for the heavier bits. And would maybe give it some more air too. I may be wrong, and it may not be what you are going for, but again, my $0.02. Please be aware that my advice could be construed as the blind leading the not so blind, I'm far from an expert, but there it is. :)

It's a very nice tune though. Got a kind of Pixies good times summer-road-trip vibe to it. In fact my comments about the snare are mainly because when listening, I'm hearing the Pixies, and waiting for that snare to be hit hard in the choruses.

TerraMortim said:
If they sound great by themselves but not in the mix, it usually is caused by phase cancelation. Something is out of phase with certain frequencies in the guitar. Try soloing the guitar with different other tracks, and find the culprit. try reversing the phase (invert) on the instrument that offends, see if that helps. If not, try delaying the offending tracks by 1 or a few samples.

TerraMortim said:
Things being out of phase with certain frequencies of other instruments,believe it or not, can be just as much of a culprit as EQ. Phase is all based on time relationships, and it would actually change the phase relationship between two things when you delay them in small incriments from each other, or sometimes outright flipping the phase.

What the fuck are you even talking about ? ? ? ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

chessrock said:
What the fuck are you even talking about ? ? ? ?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Do some research about phase cancelation, and how some frequencies of one track can cancel out some frequencies on another track. It does actually happen. (try flipping the phase randomly on tracks (even mono ones) in a mix and hear how sometimes things POP out like crazy or go away completely.

You realize the only scenario where that will ever accomplish anything meaningful is when you're dealing with two tracks of the same source, correct?

I hope that's what you meant. If not, then I would quit whilst I was ahead and spare yourself any further embarasssment.

that's actually not entirely correct. Yes, two identical waves will be very easy to produce phasing problems, and will be easy to pick out. In most cases this is the cluprit. There are some times, however, when you can get cancelations from similar, yet not identical sounds (which is ..."what the fuck" I'm talking about), where the waveform of one wave will have waves that are inverted to certain bits of the waveform of another, and this can cause frequencies to cancel out, albiet ususally on a small level. It isn't so obvious as the effects of all out phase cancelation (it ususally will only mask certain frequencies) Sure, you could EQ out offending frequencies, but from time to time, actually putting a sample delay in on one of the tracks WILL bring back some of the canceled out frequencies (as long as that's what is causing it) There's nothing for me to be embarassed about. Try it. It works, (and, it works regardless of how switched on you believe you are. . .) ;) Sure, if you're dealing with the difference between a cowbell and a theremin, you won't experience anything like this, but say if you have a couple of guitars (different takes, or different guitars)...this can occur from time to time. I've run into this from time to time with a distorted synth pad vs a guitar as well. Delaying a tiny bit brought some of the missing frequencies back.

TerraMortim said:
There are some times, however, when you can get cancelations from similar, yet not identical sounds (which is ..."what the fuck" I'm talking about), where the waveform of one wave will have waves that are inverted to certain bits of the waveform of another, and this can cause frequencies to cancel out, albiet ususally on a small level. ... you could EQ out offending frequencies, but from time to time, actually putting a sample delay in on one of the tracks WILL bring back some of the canceled out frequencies ...

If you've got too many tracks that are similar and they start masking each other ... phasing isn't going to be your issue, and delaying or flipping a track isn't your solution.

The knowlege you're trying to impart is very well-intended, and for that, I can certainly appreciate it. But from the standpoint that it's mostly inaccurate / misinformed, it ultimately doesn't contribute to the overall knowlege base we're trying to build on this site, and I think people should at least be aware of that.

It's basically the old addage about a little bit of knowlege on a subject being a dangerous thing. You seem like a fairly smart guy, so I'm sure in time you'll figure some of this stuff out, but for now, you're just kind of dangerous to yourself and others, and should thus come with a warning label. :D

chessrock said:
If you've got too many tracks that are similar and they start masking each other ... phasing isn't going to be your issue, and delaying or flipping a track isn't your solution.

The knowlege you're trying to impart is very well-intended, and for that, I can certainly appreciate it. But from the standpoint that it's mostly inaccurate / misinformed, it ultimately doesn't contribute to the overall knowlege base we're trying to build on this site, and I think people should at least be aware of that.

It's basically the old addage about a little bit of knowlege on a subject being a dangerous thing. You seem like a fairly smart guy, so I'm sure in time you'll figure some of this stuff out, but for now, you're just kind of dangerous to yourself and others, and should thus come with a warning label. :D

That's not at all what I was talking about, and you CAN get phase problems sometimes say with different guitar takes playing the same part. Regardless of what you and I want to bicker about, try it and sometimes viola it fixes the problem. In most cases it has to do with EQ but sometimes phase problems can happen from a different track, even if it's not the exact same bloody thing. I've had instances where I had a kick drum say, and beefed it up with a sample of a kick drum, there IS some phase cancelation if there is any latency to either of the tracks, try even automating a sample delay to start perfectly with the other track, and slowly out and back again. You might be amazed. It's not the same source, but a similar sound. Every time there is some latency introduced on either end it can cancel out some frequencies of one of the tracks (this might not always be bad, or too terribly noticable, sometimes can be a bitch tho), introducing sample delays WILL bring those frequencies back, if this problem is present.

I'm not trying to argue theory or anything of that sort with people on here. The reality is, this isn't an AES bbs, this is, from what I would think, a practical guide of how the average musician, producer, or engineer with a home studio can get really great results. In reality, what I suggested does work sometimes. Try it before telling me it doesn't lol. You can argue till the cows come home, but fact is, it does occur sometimes, and doing things like flipping the phase, or introducing minute ammounts of delay fowards or backwards (ususally backwards) CAN help. Some time when you are mixing on a desk or even in a daw, try flipping the phase of different instruments while the mix is playing, and sometimes sounds will suddenly jump out at you.

Regarding your last statement. . .

If I respond to someone who has a question, I'm going to tell them something that HAS WORKED for me, not just something that I'm picking out of thin air, or because I think I'm some authority on the subject (authority figures quite suck, thank you very much). I don't claim to be someone who is a genius of the theory of it all (while I know a bit, there comes a point where you need to just DO it, instead of theorize about the micro mechanics of it all). I'm more concerned with what the hell works and what the hell doesn't. If it works, I'll suggest it, but certainly if it doesn't give me any results, why the hell would I post it to someone?
Perhaps I'm a CIA disinformation agent, on a mission of utmost importance, which originated as a plan from lobbyists representing the big five media corporations, in a conspiracy to destroy all indie music by leading people on wild goose chases on internet forums, or maybe, I'm simply trying to help people out, and as you say contribute to the "community."

It seems like since I've joined here (haven't been on here for too terribly long), everyone is constantly trying to insult everyone else, and constantly trying to prove who is the biggest audio geek, which is more of a dick waving fest than anything. Trust me, the deafening roar of zippers being undone and peckers slid out every time someone has a practical question is enough to give me permenant tinitus! People are more concerned on here with their own internal politics and who is an idiot and who's super old school. Of course with these old school folks, by default that gives them infinite knowledge and wisdom on the subject, golden ears, and the respect of throngs of young tape ops and assistant engineers/gophers salivating about what it would have been like to have been born on time for all the 70s rock stuff that everyone idolizes these days. It's funny just how much grander things become when they die, whether it's a person, or an entire genre of music, or a band or whatever. When someone was alive they were a boozing abusive SOB who beat his kids half to death, cheated on his wife with transvestites, and gambled away all of his families money. When he dies he will be a dedicated, loving father; who was stern but fair, He had a lust for life, an adventurous spirit, and loved to have a good time. It's a bit like the throngs of aging WWII vets, hanging out in VFW halls, full of ideas about how they single handedly could fix society, filled with their infinite knowledge that surely would bring the world into a peaceful utopia, if only those damn kids would listen.

I love music, not science, and I don't honestly give two shits about what science is happening when I hear an amazing sound in a recording, that helps to bring the emotions of the song to life in front of me. Nobody listens to CDs of mathematical formulas to unwind. I care about what makes music sound great, and what emotional response it gives me, regardless of what John Q. Bumfuck PHD, says in his book "recording music: an outsiders guide for the impractical".

Humour aside. . . I'd encourage you to try out things before you attempt to refute them. The science of things is importal to a point to know and make it use in your favor, but it doesn't make you a great producer, or engineer, or really anything but, a great scientist, teacher, or writer of textbooks. There's nothing wrong with that, mind you, but it's an entirely different set of skills. Results, regardles of what theory is in place, or what actual physics are involved, are what makes great music, and what makes music sound great. I don't really care to argue semantics about it (seems like a lot of people like to do that around here, to ensure everyone is in awe at the amazing endowment living in their pants) Things like what I have suggested simply work some times, regardless of how much you, I, or anyone else argues about it, or how many black eyes are given by slamming people in the face with the iron clad holy bible of audio theory. Try it if you want to, or don't. I don't care. It won't keep me up all night, ripping out my facial hair, gnashing my teeth and tearing my garments in absolute horror. There are other ways to fix things like that, but it's simply another option that HAS worked for me and many people I've worked with from time to time.

I don't claim to know everything about audio, and neither should anyone else on here. Recording is always evolving with new equipment and new techniques show up all the time. We're ALL students of it, and should never lose that zeal to explore it further than we have the day before. It seems that once people believe they have it all figured out (not talkng strictly audio, just really anything intillectually in life), they cease to grow any more, and their knowledge becomes increasingly more theoretical than practical. In other words, when you fall into an intillectual trap of placing more importance on theory than practicallity, it tends to bring your skills toward that direction as well. But hey, we always need people to write textbooks and become teachers, don't we? ;)

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to try to help anyone out any more on here, as every time I do, it just ends in a "my science knowledge is more vast than yours" dick waving fest, and it just ends up a waste of time, and no doubt confusing for the people asking the original question. I'll just sit back and see if anyone else has any cool bits of their experience to share, and keep things that have helped me before to myself. It is obviously not welcome, so I will not share it.

Last edited:
As someone who TerrMortin recently erroneously accused as being one of those unzippered geeks, I gotta say that this time he is more right than he is wrong.

It boils down to one's definition of "phase problems". Technically speaking, *by definition* phase problems strictly relate to identical signal that are out-of-phase with each other. By that definition, one can only have a true "phase problems" with out-of-phase identical signals.

That said, though, it is entirely possible to have (just for one example) a piano playing a middle C and a synth playing a middle C and have the two tracks fairly destroy each other when summed. Just because the waveforms look different, doesn't mean most of their amplitudes can't virtually cancel each other out.

A more complicated example will be two guitar tracks with heavy distortion that are not dupes of the same track; in fact they don't even necessarily have to be doubling the same line. The fact is that the complicated harmonics involved in the distortion tails can, when summed, easily destroy each other with enough frequency to fuck the sound in a cascade of amplitude cancellations.

So yeah, on that, TerraMortim is right, and Chess's win/loss record is right up there with the Cubs'.

BUT, TM, you can't get away with trying to explain a scientific principle and then blaming others for arguing the accuracy of your explanation if it's off, or if it leads ot other further misunderstanding as to how things should work. You (or I) can't have our cake and eat it too. Don't go giving an explanation of a an engineering principle and then cry "Foul! It's all about the music" when someone trys matching your level of explanation eye-to-eye.

G.

It's a close one but I have to go with Chess on this one. Phase Cancellation is specifically an issue relating to copies of the same source either through multiple mics of a single source or delays of a single track.

What Terra is referring to as "phase issues" is more accurately called Auditory Masking or Frequency Masking. It does have a relationship to phase but is more of a psycho-acoustic phenomenon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_masking

There are many different mechanisms of masking, one being suppression. This is when there is a reduction of a response to a signal due to the presence of another. This happens because the original neural activity caused by the first signal is reduced by the neural activity of the other sound (Oxenham et al 1998).

Addition is the adding of several maskers to result in an increased final masker threshold greater than the original maskers (Lincoln 1998).

Combination tones are products of a signal/s and a masker/s. This happens when the two sounds interact causing new sound, which can be more audible than the original signal. This is caused by the non linear distortion that happens in the ear (Moore 1986).

For example, the combination tone of two maskers can be a better masker than the two original maskers alone (Moore 1986).

The sounds interact in many ways depending on the difference in frequency between the two sounds. The most important two are cubic difference tones and quadratic difference tones (Moore 1986).

TexRoadkill said:
It's a close one but I have to go with Chess on this one. Phase Cancellation is specifically an issue relating to copies of the same source either through multiple mics of a single source or delays of a single track.

What Terra is referring to as "phase issues" is more accurately called Auditory Masking or Frequency Masking. It does have a relationship to phase but is more of a psycho-acoustic phenomenon.
Yes...and no :D

It really is kind of a semantic problem. "Masking" as a psychoacoustic phenomenon is different than actual waveform destruction by the addition of a non-complimentary waveform of similar amplitude and frequency. But the end result of actual waveform destruction is basically the same kind of phenomenon that true "phase cancellation" produces.

It is true that what TM describes is technically not a "phase" issue, because phase is a property of a single waveform or single source, and not a relationship between differing waveforms. It's a poor, technically incorrect choice of words to call it a "phase problem", I agree.

However, one can cause the waveform amplitudes of one signal to be seriously knocked down by similar harmonic components in another signal in a simiar way that a true phase conflict can, and in a way that is more physical than psychoacoustic.

Is it correct to call that a "phase issue"? No, it's not, no more than it's correct to call a polarity inversion a "phase inversion" (even though that's how it's labeled on many mixers.) However, such summing of uncomplimentary signals can create an end result just like a true phase problem can, and can indeed be improved by inverting the polarity or time-shifting the offending signal.

G.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
As someone who TerrMortin recently erroneously accused as being one of those unzippered geeks, I gotta say that this time he is more right than he is wrong.

It boils down to one's definition of "phase problems". Technically speaking, *by definition* phase problems strictly relate to identical signal that are out-of-phase with each other. By that definition, one can only have a true "phase problems" with out-of-phase identical signals.

That said, though, it is entirely possible to have (just for one example) a piano playing a middle C and a synth playing a middle C and have the two tracks fairly destroy each other when summed. Just because the waveforms lood different, doesn't mean most of their amplitudes can't virtually cancel each other out.

A more complicated example will be two guitar tracks with heavy distortion that are not dupes of the same track; in fact they don't even necessarily have to be doubling the same line. The fact is that the complicated harmonics involved in the distortion tails can, when summed, easily destroy each other with enough frequency to fuck the sound in a cascade of amplitude cancellations.

So yeah, on that, TerraMorton is right, and Chess's win/loss record is right up there with the Cubs'.

BUT, TM, you can't get away with trying to explain a scientific principle and then blaming others for arguing the accuracy of your explanation if it's off, or if it leads ot other further misunderstanding as to how things should work. You (or I) can't have our cake and eat it too. Don't go giving an explanation of a an engineering principle and then cry "Foul! It's all about the music" when someone trys matching your level of explanation eye-to-eye.

G.

I never named you outright Glen. I'm simply talking about this overall attitude by a few people here who will simply try to argue useless semantics with people in order to prove that they are "the man". You might be this said "the man" fellow, you might not be. It's not of importance in anyone elses life but your own. Yes, you have joined in on this. A great thing in life that I have discovered is the ability to not take myself so seriously. It has given me the absolute joy of being able to laugh at myself, and has helped in my lifelong persuit to not take anyone else completely seriously as well. I think you would benefit from the absolute joy that results from this practice. It sure makes the lack of anything decent in humanity slide down the gullet a little easier. If you are insulted by what I said, sorry, but it's true. Do I think you're all SOBs, nah, not based on that. I just think that there is a tendency with anyone who gets good at what they do to start sitting back and give more importance to the theoretical than the practical, and then critisize everyone else who isn't in their elite self appointed club. This is far from a personal attack in the respect that, most of the greatest, most influential people in history at one point in their lives fell into that trap. Once they reached that point of metal and practical "perfection" in their own minds they spent their subsequent time, wasting their minds on purely theory, and endless speculative arguments, instead of going out and figuring this shit out by practice, and then it was all gobbelygook from that point on. This of course excludes Leonardo Da Vinci, who never seemed to get into this trap, and kept being one of the greatest minds of any human since or before him. Check out his dying words. They are a great bar at which to live by in my opinion. They go something to the tune of "My only regret is that I have offended God and Man with how little I have acomplished." That's VERY paraphrased from memory, but the basic concept is there. (look it up to get the exact wording. It's really a great insight into how one can be more like him)

There is a growing trend in the audio industry of the old school guys panicked about being replaced by people who are now doing things in a different way to what made them so successful. They create various different platforms to stand on(rely on), which normally have to do with tauting endless torrents of scientific theories and laws about audio, which yes are correct, but aren't really of much importance in practice, even if they don't entirely relate to the point, or just passing it off as a simple case of "there is no good music anymore, it all sounds like shit, because it wasn't done how I did it" I have met many people like this who I've quite got on with. It doesn't make them an asshole: it's human nature. That's why we have racists, and nationalists, etc... It's always some identity to latch on to, in order to validate themselves to others, and to themselves.

So, basically, just take it as my observation of the general attitude of people who are in the know around here. It leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, as I'm sure others' mouths. It's sad how much trash talking and personal attacks on others (not really even talking about myself here) is the norm in our "community". The attitude is present, whether you feed it or not. So yes, I was talking about your manner of presentation, not about you. I don't know you, and probably never will. You could be the coolest person and greatest music maker of the century for all I know. That's not really the point. All I am alluding to, is the manner at which I have seen (you included) people on here act toward others. (And yes, it is a dick waving contest any way you.... shake a....stick at it...couldn't resist the beavis and butthead humour) It's great that you have more patience for the heavy science than me, but don't waste your time trying to prove your level of mastery of music based on that alone. They are different skill sets, that take different approaches to master. I never attempted to saying anything other than, it's all about the music. It IS all about the music. No matter how much we as audio professionals attempt to validate ourselves and give ourselves (notice I am including me in this equasion) a heightend sence of importance. We can argue what formats are better or worse, who's an idiot or an old school master, if it's more correct to do things this way or that way, or we can make great music, and help each other out in the pursuit of that goal, which to the best of my knowledge should be the purpose of a forum such as this, and certainly is the primary reason for my joining it.

Regarding the other arguement you were on about.

As you brought it up. . .The sample rate arguement that took place on here. for example. It was argued to the teeth that there was no difference, and then it was admitted, okay well there is a difference, but it's caused by a full moon in sweden, on the 18th of June of a leap year when the queen has a difficult bowel movement at 8 oclock in the morning. My point is, does it really make sense to argue such rediculous points to no end just to prove your scientific prowess? Not really. If the gear you have sounds great when done this way, do it, If it makes a wicked drum track to soak the tape in beer and then smear it with the bile of a pig, do it. If not, change your tactics. You can find a good place to start by looking at theory, but will ultimately go nowhere in the direction of foward without the practice of it. Generally, on most gear higher samplerates will give you better results for certain types of processing and certain sounds. I don't give a fuck why beyond the general theory behind it. If the theory that I know be wrong, and it doesn't effect me, well I don't care very much, beyond a mild intillectual curiosity. Sure, I might not be the hit of the party over at the AES cruise, but it doesn't really make a difference one way or another to how I do my work, and as to the quality of my work. It certainly won't make me any less or any more successful. (well maybe I'd be more of the life of the party at teh AES cruise..lively bunch of fellows that they are) I basically gave up that arguement, because you obviously do have more scientific knowledge on the subject than I do, albiet a need to argue subjective points to no end, and then using textbook theory to back it up. You were using your theoretical scientific knowledge as a tactic to make me "look dumb", so that you could validate your point of there being absolutely no use for a higher sample rate than 44.1kHz, and secure your image as "the man". You are probably right about the theoretical end of things, but that doesn't change reality, and it doesn't change what people hear. I mean, it was even admitted to me by, I think it was you, there WERE percieved differences in blind tests, however inconsistant they are. That is where I tried to reiterate my point. people have varying hearing abilities, due to lifestyle, or even at birth. People also have varying tastes. Some people love things low-fi, some people love things as high rez as they can make it. When you're dealing with a creative process, whatever sciences involved aide in the creation only as long as the ART of it is never comprimised for scientific correctness, or theoretical improvements over actual tangible or asthetic ones. It's always missing the point to place more importance on scientific theory than results when dealing with a creative process.

What little of science I've mentioned on these forums, is very basic stuff that, to the best of my knowledge is correct. I never claimed to be the end all be all of audio theory. I do what works for me, and have success in reaching the goals that I've set for myself, and the quality of my work. I find some of the deep deep theory starts to get so dull at a point that the reading materials should come equipt with a sawed off shotgun, for self inflicted damage, or to go "postal", to ease up the monotany a bit. If I just say, uhh play with phase to someone who might not know anything about it, then well they won't be any better off, and I'll have just wasted my time. With this other said arguement, that you are most likely referencing, I simply was stating that to my knowledge, there is a closer approximation, even if in theory to the analog waveform with higher samplerates, and to my ears there was an audible difference between said samplerates. From my experience, higher samplerates have given me much less "digital" sounding results. Also a point you argued to the death was that when you really get down to it, digital media is all based off the same ideas of sampling at whatever intervals is decided upon by the digitizing device, stored, and then reconstructed in a format that we, as analog imput devices , can understand, given what samples (pixels, frames, whatever the fuck have you), it has to work with. There is no way to absolutely accurately digitize anything, with what technology we have. There will always be just that little difference that we audiophiles will froth at the mouth over for the rest of our days (or the life of our perfect hearing).

Anyway, I'm glad you see what the hell I was saying. I was begining to think maybe I live in a different dimention with alternate laws of physics to the rest of the universe or something. What you explained about this phase discussion is exactly what I was trying to say, and is what I've found to be the case so many times.

Just try to respect other people around here, kay?

TerraMortim- Is there any chance you could condense your ideas into 10,000 words or less per post?

And stop being so defensive. You might learn something.

TerraMortim said:
Just try to respect other people around here, kay?
That street is a two-way street, my friend. Man, it's a good thing I actually took your side; I can only imagine how much worse of a misguided tirade you'd launch if I hadn't :rolleyes: .

It'd also help if you recognized when you are indeed wrong, and that it's OK to get something wrong if that leads to the truth, and furthermore, if you recognized when someone actually agreed with you so that you don't actually jump down their throats for doing so.

Chessrock may have been arguing technical semantics, but he sure got you down pretty good; smart but not as smart as you think, and that just kills you. You are a great brown belt in engineering. Don't get pissed off when double black belts like Farview Lee or MasteringHouse van Damn put you on the mat once in a while ;). They've done so with me on more than one occasion, and I appreciated what I learned from it and the increased strength I got from it after the stinging went away :).

G.

Glen,

What I wrote about you is what you presented yourself to be. Insults to people's intelligence, mockery, etc... I appreciate you agreeing with me when you did, but even then it was wrought with sarcasm and insults. You took every opportunity possible to say something negative about me, even whilst agreeing with me.

I even admitted I was wrong, Glen. Did you actually read what I wrote or simply the last sentance? I merely stated that theoretical or scientific knowledge will not make a difference in the long run when dealing with something in music. I spoke to you mainly because you brought it up, as if the post I was saying was directly toward you. It wasn't. It was about actions that you participate in, in which it portrays you in the manner that I explained. I don't pretend to know you, only the way that you treat others.

Chessrock neither kills me, nor has me "down". I am frustrated at what I have seen people acting like in here. Almost every thread, whether it's filled with people trying to actually get some help from someone, or is just a topical debate, is somehow turned into a big you fucking moron you idiot, you suck, retarted yo-mamma fest. Let me add, that I never hurled insults at anyone here unless they had first spoke to me in an insulting manner.

I actually don't consider myself so much an engineer, man. It is really not valid to compare me as one to people who make that their sole profession. I can record good audio, and do the things that engineers do to a degree that will give me a good final result, but I have decided that is not the road for me. I come from the more creative half of the bunch. Producing music, writing music, and mixing music, things like that. That is really my forte. I've mostly learned the engineering bit out of necessety.

I don't believe in sacred cows, or these elevated "Gods" that we all should listen to their lack of respect for other people and their beliefs just because well...they're who they are. Lack of respect is unacceptable, no matter if it comes from the homeless junkie in the alleyway or the pope. No person's status in life, or in their career gives them the right to shit on other people. What would you do if a rich exec from a fortune 500 company drove up to your house in his sports car rang your doorbell and then kneed you in the groin? Does his self apointed status give him the right? I have respect for everyone that I meet that doesn't give me any reason to disrespect them.

My message was not focused at any one person in this BBS, just the attitude as a whole, and that is what pisses me off. Why don't we try to help each other out instead of being childish pricks to one another? having dumb ass name calling battles over who knows more than who. Who cares? I'm here to learn and grow, yet judging from the average intelligence of most of the posts, I think this isn't the right place to do that. I did NOT say intelligence of the POSTERS, so remember that.

It's actually not a matter of getting defensive, it's a matter of being sick and tired of these "i'm the man" types who destroy any chance of helping anyone out with honest questions, just to prove their prowess. Nobody asked "how awesome are you?"

That is all...

Back