Boss ME-50

boss makes a fine product. when i bought my podxt i demoed a gt-8 and i'm not really sure the line6 sounded better than it did, i was just kinda already sold on the line6.

i've never used the me-50, but i'm sure it features a lot of boss sounds, which never suck. i've played some boards that really sounded awful (digitech being the leader), and i don't remember ever hearing a stompbox or multi-fx from boss that didn't impress me on some level.

zoom makes some surprisingly good-sounding fx for the price, so you may wanna check them out too. i used a zoom board for a few years and as much as i love my line6, there are a couple sounds in particular that i really miss from the zoom.

good luck! :)

:rolleyes:

Although I somewhat disagree with the statement (although Line6 is crap), the TC is interesting.

I used the boss me50 to record a demo and it sounded pretty good.Go to music store and try out some different ones.Everyone has opinions but only you know what you want like to hear.Personally i use the digitech gnx2 and i love it.It has the amp modeling but i don't use the presets i base my sound off the modern marshall model but tweak it from there.

What i like is the assignable expression pedal.I set it up so i when i wanna go from rythm to lead all i gotta do is rock the pedal back.By assigning delay and my noise gate to the pedal it turns off the gate and allows the feedback without cutting off notes prematurely.It also turns up my volume and turns my delay on so i can have that little bit extra.Then just push the expression pedal back down and i got my tight rythm back without annoying feedback on the stop and go parts.Unfortunately i can only assign three effects to the pedal on the gnx2.You can assign four on the gnx3 and up.

I also have a set up on a song where i go from a heavy rythm into a clean lead so i assign distortion,chorus, and delay to the pedal.Rock back the pedal and i turn off the distortion but turn on the chorus and delay.For me it's about the control without having to do a footdance.Most multi-effect pedals would let you do this.It's up to you i'm just throwing out some ideas.Maybe try some different amps.You might be happier with just plugging into a good amp.

My amps are fine, and many to choose from. I'm just looking for effects, and am leaning toward the ME-50 to avoid amp modelers.

what effects are you looking to add & do you have an effects loop in your amp?time based effects like delay work well in an effects loop but effects like compression & overdrive are usually best in front of the amp.

I'll be splitting it in stereo between a Mesa Road King, and a Mesa Dual rec half stack. Won't be using the effects loops. I use to use a full rack of effects, including an Eventide, but am looking to do away with that hassle.

sorry for offering my admittedly humble opinion. i didn't realize until just now that i'm a crap-using moron who doesn't know any better.

my mistake.

i'll shut up now and leave it to the experts.

sorry for offering my admittedly humble opinion. i didn't realize until just now that i'm a crap-using moron who doesn't know any better.

my mistake.

i'll shut up now and leave it to the experts.

LMAO :D
Roland/Boss are industry standards and makes excellent multi effects processors
regardless of what others in the forum may think about them.:rolleyes:

I've been in many multi million dollar studios, and have seen plenty of both in them. I was doing my best to ignore the "don't know what they are doing" bit.;)

My amps are fine, and many to choose from. I'm just looking for effects, and am leaning toward the ME-50 to avoid amp modelers.

the ME 50 is an excellent piece of equipment! if you can afford the extra cash you may want to look at the GT10 depending on what your needs or wants are;
but ya, the ME 50 is a Fantastic FX processor!

I've been in many multi million dollar studios, and have seen plenty of both in them. I was doing my best to ignore the "don't know what they are doing" bit.;)

i tried for a couple of days to ignore it too, but then i was feeling frisky last night and decided to retort. :D

You know...
At first I thought you were just being arrogant, and had an attitude, especially given your first post. Still not sure that isn't that case:D. Thought you were judging me. However, after just re-reading your above post, I judged the post wrong. Could be that you are not being cocky at all, but are in fact, making a very good point. I apologize for my mistake.

You may very well be right. Looking at those 4 statements, the first clearly is the only one that really sounds like it would be on a "home" recording forum. However, I'm not really looking for "pro" grade on this one. I always play dry at home, and don't travel too much with the big rigs anymore. I ALWAYS record dry (save compression). However, I certainly don't want a "toy", either.

Last edited:
the ME 50 is an excellent piece of equipment! if you can afford the extra cash you may want to look at the GT10 depending on what your needs or wants are;
but ya, the ME 50 is a Fantastic FX processor!

I actually considered that, and the GT6. All these damn amp modelers are a pain in the ass, and lets face it....none of them sound anything like the amp they claim to "model". I've found the software gets in the way of simply programing a simple, straight forward effect. I'm fortunate enough to own the real amps. No need for limited copies. Better my money, and their RnD be focused on what an effects box is suppose to do.

With few exceptions, I was never a fan of using stomp boxes. Back in my day (the 80's) they were very limited as far as programing. Rack equipment was the shit for this reason. However, now that I don't have roadies to deal with all this crap, I'm looking for something simple and quick to hook up. If I were to ever tour again, then my Eventide still rules the day. However, for one off shows, jamming with friends, or quick preproduction, I just want something quick, easy, and travel friendly. In no way do I expect to match the quality of some of my rack gear, but it still has to sound good with a true bypass.

Last edited:
For Guitar effects, Roland/Boss has been one of my long time favorites to use. Unless they have changed their quality control of late, I would not hesitate to recomend them.

I have the ME-50B which is the bass version. What I really like about it is that i can just tweak things without going through a bunch of menus. I also don't have much need for amp modeling.
I use it live and always have a distortion, a chorus, and an octave pedal going. All three together make a fat bass synth type sound.:D
You can make presets but I don't really bother with them. It's so easy to to dial in what you want. I might eventually get a ME-50 to have around the studio since I don't gig as a guitar player.

Back