Boss BR-864 Problem

Larry Lavey

Hello all.

Iv had a Boss BR-864 for some time now and stored up a lot of stuff on two flash cards, one which came with the machine and one which was acquired seperatly.
After some time the BR-864 suddenly refused to read one of the flash cards, and brought up 'unsupported card' on the menu whenever usage was attempted. The card was wiped, with the contained info re-transfered onto to it, (much of it lost however), and while the BR-864 appeared to be working again, it suddenely crashes again mid usage, and a clicking sound appears to cover the track when in record mode.

I understand that the problem with the cards may be that too much info has been stored on them and thus they have become corrupted, however after wipeing one card and leaveing only a fraction of the previous info on it, the same problem airses.

My question is, can anybody tell me if there is a way to extract and save the info I have on the other card ? ( I dont want to wipe it if possible)

If the card is corrupt, does the info still remain on it, and is it even salvageable?

Would any such info be retained on the machine itself, and if so, is that info extractable?

And finally, would a systems-wipe on the BR-864 be the only way to solve this problem of crashing?

Thanks

As the files are stored in the propietary Boss format on the card, you might be able to transfer them into a computer with a card reader, but not be able to do anything with them. You could search for software that will convert them. If the files themselves are not corrupted and the computer can copy the files, you could conceivably transfer them back into the BR864 via USB, or copy them to a new card.
I don't understand your comment about wiping clean the cards, but 'leaving a little info on them'. Typically, the only way to clean them is by reformatting the card, which does destroy all file info that was on them.

I guess you have learned: you need to backup all the track and song files over to your computer via USB.

Hi Mjbphoto
Sorry, in terms of my comment about wipeing and 'leaving a little info on them', I meant info that was transferred back via USB by a friend of mine, he took the info off the card, put it on a computer, then wiped the card and put what he said was not corrupt back on the cleaned card again, which I guess is what you have been discussing above. Forgive me if im a little vague in description, im not at all knowledgeable in any respect with this technology, but thank you very much for your reply and advice, and yes, I have learned the hard way.

P.S
Could you tell me where I might obtain a card reader? Who makes them and are they expensive?
Thanks again

Back