BM5a monitors ROCK!!!!!!

applewormy

Just got a pair of Dynaudio BM5a's and they are incredible!! The clarity and accuracy of these speakers are just amazing. I did a a//b with the HR 824's and these totally smoked them...my mixes are near perfect (to me at least lol) the first time around and they translate very well into my car, cd player, and friend's computer speakers.

I recommend to everyone who wants to get new speakers to get these.

And they don't burn you out easily because you keep them at low levels due to the fact that you can hear everything clearly. I'm so in love with these!!!! lol

hey, im loving my bm5a's as well... it seemed like a lot of money to spend on speakers (had wharfies previously) but its totally worth it. really clear imaging and the bass is nice and tight (they wont shake the room but they give you a pretty good image of your low end).

now im waiting for all the parts for my new pc daw to come in and next ill be treating my room's acoustics.... (it never ends) :)

i don´t find that they are cheap.

hey you are paying around 1000 € for a pair of monitors wit 5 `` woofers.

that´s not cheap. That´s normal.

Look at the EMES KOBALT.

600 € -- that´s cheap and ok.

Toobad the BM5a does not have a 5" woofer, but is over 6" in size. Personally, I didn't find anything special about the Kobalts, but I do really like some of the larger EMES stuff. I still haven't heard the owls yet. Interesting principle there:)

good to hear some fresh reviews on these.
so how are the switches? build quality in general, on a 1 to 10 scale?
Did you compare to the 6A's?? what are the differences, anyway??

other than the wattage, i still haven't figured out why the 6A's are $700 more?? very strange.
both have the same Estoec tweeter, 6 or 7" woofer size and amplifier type both Mosfet.
I actually like the new 5A cabinet better with the beveled edges. (resembles the $2500 Dyn/Air line)...gearlustfullness setting in...

yeah the BM5A's are my top gearlust pick at the moment.
and in a small room I'm sure their loud enough.
the Blue Skys are on the short list too.

you don't really need a sub in my opinion unless you're in a big room and need to hear those really low frequencies....not much of a difference with 5a's and 6a's....5a's are better for the money. The next best one in my opinion is the 15a's....its a louder and bigger version of the 5a...

As far as the build, I don't really like how the tweeter is so open in design and looks like it could be damaged pretty easily, but I guess I just have to be careful with them.

I got my speakers brand new for 830 bucks at guitar center. I know someone who whores products for me lol...

and also, I prefer dynaudios over events because I think the dynaudios are more honest and easier to adjust your ears to....

Yes and because they are so hones some folks dont like em. For instance 128kbps mp3 sounds incredibly bad comapred to lossless.

Anyway i like my bm6a too i chose this model because 15A is too big for my room while 5A is not quite my tipe of sound though they do rock.
I think they go well down to 50Hz.

I really prefer monitors over Hifi speakers cause they show you precise bass image and so the sound is much more balanced.I dont mix music i just listen to it and i prefer to listen to it on monitors.

If you need deeps bass just add a decent sub, it shouldnt spoil anything.

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/subs_pb12_plus.htm something like this...

I agree about the BM5A's. I a/b them with every monitor at a guitar center and they killed them all in my opinion.

Also, I know that dynaudio makes everything single part of there speaker. They don't outsource anything, so they have complete control of the quality of every part in there gear.

5ergo said:
Anyway i like my bm6a too i chose this model because 15A is too big for my room while 5A is not quite my tipe of sound though they do rock.
I think they go well down to 50Hz.

so you listened to both, in your opinion, why is the sound different between the 5a and 6a?
they have the same driver and tweeter?

is it the amplifier or subtle cabinet volume? its all i can think of.

i find it very different how Dyn did their "naming/models"
with the 5A and 6a. Most companys would have a 5" driver and a 6" driver, for example, whereas Dyn 5A is a 6.7" and so is the 6A?? both same ESOTEC tweeter.
the 15's are a 10" driver...whats up with the nomenclature? :confused:

i like the "in-house" quality control, building their own parts etc. its obvious it works well for them. maybe i'll give them a tele-call and ask whats the difference.

hopefully i can bring some home for a testdrive!
and check with my RTA mic against my BW303, JBL, Paradigms, Infinitys...

a hopless speaker slut. i also picked up a speaker design book, with DIY..and thought about just buying the Dyn Driver and a Ribbon tweeter and making a LinkWitz-crossover...passive of course...havenb;'t got a $$$parts list, often it costs more than buying at the store.

JBL Control 5 plus.

just got back from GC #2 of 3 here...they had the BM5a's and a special surprise the BlueSky's too.

off the subject but this GC had their sht together. All speakers hooked up, room was setup nicely with diffusers, traps and foam.
my regular GC is just a bunch of monkey goofballs, of course they all say "it's the other shift! those dumbasses!!". either way their a cluster fhk.
this GC was great.

The BM5A's and BlueSky Ones were both very nice and both a $1,000 pair.
I won't diss any others, but these were noticeably different to me.

the gang at this GC, about 3 guys, were sold on the KRK V8's due to volume/loudness. and damn did they listen at high volumes in the store!! geez!they cranked it sooo loud! One had the Mackies824 which were another $400.
they kept playing the modern dance-mix stuff. kinda rap with, what i call, computer music which is sonically perfect anyway. No real instruments really.

I'm more a guitar band type. so i asked 'em to change the tunes to "guitar songs"..real instruments as i call it.
and it isn't near as pretty sounding at 200db!
so they had the volume back to a more tolerable level.

and the BM5A's were, imo, the best they had.
much smaller cabinets than i had expected and was very surprised how small.
but they had the bass and kept the mid's..all of the speakers seem to be able to hit the high freqs.

the BM5A's volume ability was more than enough for me. but it wasn't hard to hit the yellow & then red clip lights. they didin't go to ear-distortion levels...which I never do anyway.
In a word WATTAGE.
i could understand if you had a BlueBear studio type area the BM5a's may not have the wattage. but in their own volume range...in the green led range...they were oh so nice sounding! i won't diss others as it's just my opinion here.

then the Blue Sky's.
Media Desks were alright but quickly I had the SystemONE's on..and it was very,very nice too. If going for a sub setup these, also $1000, are still on my short list. very similar to the sound i like, like the dyns. maybe some more volume, but it was like splitting hairs.

the Dyns can do it without a sub, imo. The Blue Skys had very nice bass control too. My biggest concern was the Blue Skys had a amp blown out? is this the China built syndrome again?? cheap parts, not enough emphasis on Quality Control?? the guys said their demo room is always being abused by kids and theives and dumbasses that don't what a clip LED means. So I don't know, they sounded just as good as the Dyn's to me.

$1,000 range. very impressed with the Dyn5A's...and would bet the comments on the 6A's is due to pure volume levels as they have more horsepower under the hood...$700 worth.
The Dyns5A were plenty loud for my HR room.
Most the time I'm not even at 85db... to me i agree.."They ROCK!!" and are very easy to listen to...i spent 2hrs+ and in a very nice room.
now I understand better why some recommend the listening test at the store.

coolcat could you hear event asp6 and krk v6 series2 until now ???

all around 1000 dollar streetprice. The krk´s are a little cheaper ( v8 is around 1000 now ).

did read the soundonsound review of the krk´s and am surprized, the are talking always about home & project studio. KRK isn´t PRO anymore or is my english too bad ( :rolleyes: ) ???

COOLCAT said:
The Blue Skys had very nice bass control too. My biggest concern was the Blue Skys had a amp blown out? is this the China built syndrome again?? cheap parts, not enough emphasis on Quality Control?? the guys said their demo room is always being abused by kids and theives and dumbasses that don't what a clip LED means. So I don't know, they sounded just as good as the Dyn's to me.

Hello Coolcat -

I just wanted to address your concerns and let you know that we have very strict quality control. Although I don't know what specifically happened in your situation, I can tell you that it is not a common occurrence (our failure rates are extremely low). Of course part failures do happen from time to time, it is a fact of life, with literally thousands of systems in the field. But, we do take customer support very seriously and always work quickly to address any problems. If you have any questions about how our products are constructed, the components that are used, or customer support, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. My e-mail address is pascal@abluesky.com

Sincerely,

Coolcat you should compare them side by side in a store.
No actually the bm6a has a bit smaller driver, the difference is because of the crossover which is a bit too low on bm5a for my taste.And also bm6a sound different when you play with EQ.
Id suggest you turn up loud bm5a too see if they are bright cause bm6a are a bit too bright if you dont lower HF trim to -3, -4dB

I think bm5a are the ones for you since you dont go to 100dB often.Also note that when you turn 6a loud theres a huge amount of bass to control so in a small room you need bass traps and such...

your issue maybe with the GC who has the blown -tweeter amp/sat speaker as their demo for all to see.

It doesn't make a good first impression to have your speakers hooked up amongst all the others with a blown-speaker/amp.
i pm'd you with their ph number and location, you seemed interested.

you know Texas Instruments DLP group hired a service company to check-up on store setups for the HDTV's to ensure the best picture is tweeked in, etc.. even more critical setup than speakers.
to make sure the dipstick-monkeys aren't fhkng up the display setups and stuff....so when customers walk in they go "THAT LOOKS LIKE SHT!!! :eek: ".. like $10mill in marketing down the toilet :eek: due to monkey-boy setting the TV up wrong. :rolleyes:

COOLCAT said:
your issue maybe with the GC who has the blown -tweeter amp/sat speaker as their demo for all to see.

It doesn't make a good first impression to have your speakers hooked up amongst all the others with a blown-speaker/amp.
i pm'd you with their ph number and location, you seemed interested.

Thank you for the PM with the store info. We will send out a representative to go check it out and see what happened.

Cheers!

fernandoesmaron said:
coolcat could you hear event asp6 and krk v6 series2 until now ???

all around 1000 dollar streetprice. The krk´s are a little cheaper ( v8 is around 1000 now ).

did read the soundonsound review of the krk´s and am surprized, the are talking always about home & project studio. KRK isn´t PRO anymore or is my english too bad ( :rolleyes: ) ???

hey ferne's...

They had the Events, with the high gloss black 6' and 8's. The Events were a different flavor, cosmetically very nice...like a shiny grand piano.

So Yes, your exactly right, I focused specifically on the KRKV6", the EventAS6 and the Dyns5A. They were all side by side. ran off this frkn $20,000 looking board, again, a very nice acoustic setup in GC land.

and just my opinion...loved the Dyns.
(Dyns are $300 more than KRK V6, so this is a substantial cost.)

So i was really looking forward to hearing the Dyns and also see them.
$1,000 is alot of monitor and expectations were high.
...but they were nice and lived up to all the articles I read.

Off the subject, the BlueSkys were there, which was a really cool surprise. knobs..it's done for you.

my short list didn't change.
the Dyns or the System Ones at $1,000.
And they had very similar sound/tones,imo.

For a Home Hobbyist, you could ask yourself,
is the $1,000 V8 buying my HR studio that much more than the $500 RP8?? This is were the pro-race cars go for the small tweeks, the extra$200dollar carburator to get that extra 20rpm..the way i see it.

Anyway, i'm a bit short on cash now. I donated alot to the Haliburton Oil Cartel Relief Funds.
Thank goodness they got all those Fossil Fuels replenished!!
And the Iraq/Cheney-Haliburton war and the Hurricanes....geez those hurricanes were sooo bad They had to raise the gas price before they even hit land!! daaang.

Anyway the Oil Cartels all posted Record Profits.!
amazing how they did it thru such horribly tuff times?

Back