bm-800 from leihao (gearbest) is the same as the OEM one?

Hazeuk

Hello i want to buy a bm-800 microphone but the price is too high in greece like 35 euros but when i go to gearbest,i see the same microphone from the brand LEIHAO with the same price bundled with a LEIHAO 48v power supply and other things but im worried about the quality will it be the same?

Hello i want to buy a bm-800 microphone but the price is too high in greece like 35 euros but when i go to gearbest,i see the same microphone from the brand LEIHAO with the same price bundled with a LEIHAO 48v power supply and other things but im worried about the quality will it be the same?

Howdy Hazeuk and welcome. I have had two BM-800 mics and both of mine worked pretty well (I have posted a vocal clip somewhere in HR but can do it again if anyone is interested) .
I think I paid about £25.00 for my mics and for the money the build quality is staggeringly good! They are IMO more versatile than the bulk of USB mics since the BMs work pretty well into most laptop 3.5mm jack inputs as well as into an AI with phantom power.

The downside is that Quality Control is abysmal. I must have see 1/2 doz threads on HR alone in the last 12 months from people who have bought one (or one of the many variants) and had noise issues, low sensitivity or flat out don't work!

So, great VFM if you get a good'un but if you are worried maybe pay a bit more for a 'name'? I understand some of the Behringer capacitors are pretty good?

Dave.

thanks i have seen reviews of the oem bm 800 not the gearbest one and it sounds great for a microphone its just the costs i mean i will have to get a 48v supply which costs 25 euros and maybe a usb interface behringer u phoria um2 which costs 30 euros thats why it would save me a lot getting one from gearbest but if they are problematic like as you said noise problems then i will get the OEM one

thanks i have seen reviews of the oem bm 800 not the gearbest one and it sounds great for a microphone its just the costs i mean i will have to get a 48v supply which costs 25 euros and maybe a usb interface behringer u phoria um2 which costs 30 euros thats why it would save me a lot getting one from gearbest but if they are problematic like as you said noise problems then i will get the OEM one

The BMs are what they are, I doubt it makes any difference where you get them from. The only proviso is, how easy is to return a faulty unit?

The mics are useful because they will plug into almost any laptop mic jack and run with Windows audio software (you will need recording software. Audacity is the easiest and probably best option)

The results will be AS good as any USB mic of twice the price and of course the BM will still be useful if you do advance to an interface (they all come with 48V AFAIK).

Dave.

thanks now i decided what i will get,i found a review too which they got the bm from gearbest and rated it like the oem ones so yeah i will get the gearbest one then behringer u phoria um2 and a 48v phantom power supply and im complete

Last edited:
thanks now i decided what i will get,i found a review too which they got the bm from gearbest and rated it like the oem ones so yeah i will get the gearbest one then behringer u phoria um2 and a 48v phantom power supply and im complete

You better stop and think a bit Hazeuk and tell us exactly what your plans are for this microphone.
For instance, if you just want to record speech or singing all you need is the BM-800 (comes with am XLR to 3.5mm jack cable). Using Audacity you can modify and edit the recordings to some degree. You do NOT need an interface.

If your plans are more complex, building tracks say and adding instruments then yes, an AI is really needed but IF that is the case I would STRONGLY urge you to aim higher than the UM2. The more expensive AIs in the Behringer range seem to get good reports so you can stay with them.

And, the UM2 HAS 48V phantom power, no need for another supply....I repeat, TELL us what you want to do!

Dave.

The BMs are what they are, I doubt it makes any difference where you get them from. The only proviso is, how easy is to return a faulty unit?

The mics are useful because they will plug into almost any laptop mic jack and run with Windows audio software (you will need recording software. Audacity is the easiest and probably best option)

The results will be AS good as any USB mic of twice the price and of course the BM will still be useful if you do advance to an interface (they all come with 48V AFAIK).

Dave.
Is there a caveat that some of the newer laptops have combo jacks that are TRRS to accept a mic/headphone headset and may not play well with some inputs such as what the BM800 might have. Seems I've read a few posts about problems with this.

Is there a caveat that some of the newer laptops have combo jacks that are TRRS to accept a mic/headphone headset and may not play well with some inputs such as what the BM800 might have. Seems I've read a few posts about problems with this.

Good point Mark. (WTF can't they leave ANYTHING be!) I 'think' I have seen breakout cable adaptors for that eventuality? Will have a varder..

Yay! AKORD PC Headset to Smartphone Adapter Dual 3.5 mm Male: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Dave.

When you buy from your local food market, you have no guarantee, and you can't take it back. Buying budget audio kit is exactly the same. If you buy from China or India you are doing so because of the price. A thirty quid microphone is what? 3 pizzas? You buy them and if ty fail, you throw them away. The postage back to China or India is half the price of a new mic, with no assurance you will get a replacement. If I buy a television for £150 that's about my limit now for even bothering to remember who I bought it from and when. I have a few of these sitting in my store, unused bought on a whim when offered at a silly price. I tried one. It's fine. A great disposable mic. It really doesn't warrant anything more an this. I'm doing a huge recording project in a week or two and I need loads of mics, BUT the venue is not friendly, and damage is pretty certain. I'm talking about children. So cables will be tripped over, stands whacked, idiots fiddling with the mics, and no way I can prevent it. I don't wish to use my best kit so I'm thinking it's going to be my collection of disposable mics. They'll perform well enough and when somebody whacks one and says "it's not working" I don't fret.
While 25 quid is for some a lot of money, the reality is it is not. It's simply not worth worrying about. Buy it, use it and be happy. If it arrives dead, they'll send you another. Why think further ahead?

When you buy from your local food market, you have no guarantee, and you can't take it back. Buying budget audio kit is exactly the same. If you buy from China or India you are doing so because of the price. A thirty quid microphone is what? 3 pizzas? You buy them and if ty fail, you throw them away. The postage back to China or India is half the price of a new mic, with no assurance you will get a replacement. If I buy a television for £150 that's about my limit now for even bothering to remember who I bought it from and when. I have a few of these sitting in my store, unused bought on a whim when offered at a silly price. I tried one. It's fine. A great disposable mic. It really doesn't warrant anything more an this. I'm doing a huge recording project in a week or two and I need loads of mics, BUT the venue is not friendly, and damage is pretty certain. I'm talking about children. So cables will be tripped over, stands whacked, idiots fiddling with the mics, and no way I can prevent it. I don't wish to use my best kit so I'm thinking it's going to be my collection of disposable mics. They'll perform well enough and when somebody whacks one and says "it's not working" I don't fret.
While 25 quid is for some a lot of money, the reality is it is not. It's simply not worth worrying about. Buy it, use it and be happy. If it arrives dead, they'll send you another. Why think further ahead?

All very valid points Rob but this IS Home recording and the OP has not yet told us his intentions. I agree, if he just wants a mic to waffle at for YTs or Skype, fine. If on the other hand he is embarking on a music making hobby he needs advice because he has some wrong ideas (e,g, you don't need a 48V supply with an AI) .

BTW Rob. I bought 3 JVC sets of cans from Sainsburys at about £13 a pop last December. They are very wee and light, earpods about the size of a sliced Victoria plum but they sound pretty good and meet your "trashable" criterion! Their small size also makes them ideal for kids. (who will probably nick'em anayway!)

Dave.

Take your point Dave, but The home recordist, just a few years ago had serious money to spend for even modest kit - these condensers are very respectable for pocket money prices. I've always thought that if you have hobby - you have to be prepared to fund it, and not long ago, a mic cable cost wheat these mics do! I was very surprised that they work on almost any kind of mic power, 5V and above. I actually didn't know about this, and when I saw the XLR TO 3.5mm cable I laughed and then discovered they worked!

Take your point Dave, but The home recordist, just a few years ago had serious money to spend for even modest kit - these condensers are very respectable for pocket money prices. I've always thought that if you have hobby - you have to be prepared to fund it, and not long ago, a mic cable cost wheat these mics do! I was very surprised that they work on almost any kind of mic power, 5V and above. I actually didn't know about this, and when I saw the XLR TO 3.5mm cable I laughed and then discovered they worked!

I am not quite sure Rob where our comments diverge? But then it IS getting late for this old brain! But yes, I agree, those mics are fantastic for the money and what impresses me most is the build quality and the accessories provided. HOW they work is fairly simple? An electret capsule of about 20mm and a basic FET amplifier, just a modification of the electret headset mics that have been around for ages. Bloody clever to put it all together though in a nice package!

Dave.

Back