Blackstar HT-5 combo or Marshall Class 5-01?

tonyw1

looking for a new smaller amp as i have no need for a 100 watt head and 2x12 cab so i am selling my carlsbro head, and 2x12 cab and my vox ac15vr
was just wondering has anyone used either of these or help me out?
i am torn between the two not sure which to go for and which would be best for the music i play
i play mostly punk (green day type etc) and grunge (nirvana type etc) through a boss sd-1 and ds-1 through an epiphone les paul junior double cut with p-90
many thanks
Tony

I hate Marshall, but if those are my options, that would be my choice. especially given the style of music you're playing...tho, I would advise KEEPING the cab. you never know when it will come in handy.

if you're in the US, pm me about that Vox:D I need a Vox in my life

oh, and sell those Boss pedals. you may not know it yet, but they suck.

srsly. I have every used Boss stompbox in existance(as of 2008), and...well...let's just say there are sexier fish in the sea

oh, and sell those Boss pedals. you may not know it yet, but they suck.

srsly. I have every used Boss stompbox in existance(as of 2008), and...well...let's just say there are sexier fish in the sea

Maybe. Until you have one modded by Keeley. Then its a toss-up.

looking for a new smaller amp as i have no need for a 100 watt head and 2x12 cab so i am selling my carlsbro head, and 2x12 cab and my vox ac15vr
was just wondering has anyone used either of these or help me out?
i am torn between the two not sure which to go for and which would be best for the music i play
i play mostly punk (green day type etc) and grunge (nirvana type etc) through a boss sd-1 and ds-1 through an epiphone les paul junior double cut with p-90
many thanks
Tony

Lately I have heard a Jet City 20 watt head with a mod done to it. The mod makes it a high gain Marshall type of sound but there are apparently lots of other ways to go with this particular amp. The one I have heard was killer in every way. It retained its tone without getting loose or tubby, it wasnt spitty in the highs, the preamp drive was very linear clear up into the crush range...all in all one of the best values in a nice little head I've ever heard. Under $500 bucks brand spankin new...

Oh....and I have heard the two you listed. No contest.

Last edited:
cheers for the replies guys
ya the boss are ok for the time being i've been hearing fulltone ocd or the ibanez tubescreamer are the way to go?
@theD1CKENS: i'm from ireland unfortunately dude pity because it's a cracking amp just not for what i'm looking for
i've also been offered a peavey valve king 212 combo any opinion on these guys??

I've heard some Blackstars, they're flying off the shelves in England and they sound really great. Can't vouch for the small ones, though. :)

Back