big review of the Kemper Profiler amp

GONZO-X

Kemper Profiling Amplifier Review

what's really interesting, in the Andertons's video,
is when they profile a Cornford Carrera.

at one point, the fellow is demonstrating how the fast playing on low notes is flubbing out on the real amp,
and you can clearly hear it NOT doing it when playing the same thing on the Kemper.

in other words, the Kemper improved the real amp sound, and solved a problem with the power amp side of the amp,
it just sounded better.

I looked at the Kemper rack mount before buying the AXFX ll. The Kemper gets some okay tones, but nothing that sounds close to a real tube amp.(To my ears) Espeacially on cleans.To be fair, I can say the same for the AX, although the latter gets closer than anything Ive heard. I did get some really awesome results running it through my Marshall 9005 Power amp, into two Bogner 412's.
I think it is just a matter of a little more time before these units get there, but for guys like me it won't be a game changer. I really don't need 300 sounds at my disposal, and I just like the simplicity of an amp head and cab. I am interested in trying the FX8 from Fractal when it becomes available. It looks to be a very promising all in one solution as far as effects go.

LOL@ digital gizmos.

The best thing about digital is that people being sick of it brought back analog.

My Leslie amp will be wheeled out of here at my estate sale.

I thought that the Kemper profile of the Cornford sounded pretty damn good. I love my tube amps but I don't have a problem using digital gear as long as it sounds good.

Sorry. I listened to all the sound clips at the end and there were only one or two I'd even consider using. The playing was pleasant, and I kind of liked a few of the riffs and licks, but overall the tones were poor. The breakup on most doesn't sound natural (with the possible exception of the AC30, but it sounded like it had a ground fault...). A lot of the clean tones were acceptable, but nothing I couldn't get close to with Amplitube or my Cube 30...

The Kemper is a bit different though. It steals the essence of real amps and regurgitates it somehow, sometimes quite well. Other times not so much. I like the idea. It goes beyond just being a lame modeler. It's practicality vs cost is poor though.

i think that if i owned a 'full time' studio, it would make sense...
and if i was gigging a cover gig, maybe with the new floor controller, THAT would make sense..

but i've always been of a mind to find my own particular voice, or tone, and i don't need more than one or two amps max for that.

with my old boogie, i can dial in just about anything i want, short of modern metal, which i don't care for anyway.

i just think it's interesting that they've been able to take it this far.....

I like the idea of the Kemper, I mean, if it can deliver the goods, then that's great...I've listened to all kinds of A/B tests, & of course it's close, the folks sellin' 'em are the ones making most of the vids I've heard/watched...And, I'm sure in a mix it'd be hard to tell the difference between the Kemper & the real thing....But, that fucker is really expensive, like the Axe FX....For the regular home player (like me), that's just too much $$$ to drop into something like that....Now, that said, I have dropped about $2500-3000 on real amps, cabs, speakers & mics in the last year or so alone, but, I don't have to worry if it sounds real or not, because it's the real thing...

I do have to say the modelers are really convenient for people like me, who can't crank their real amps up all the time, but again, the price of those things are outrageous....Sure, if I had the coin, I'd probably have either or both, lol....

The new Fractal pedal board looks great too, but again, the price is way up there...Yeah, if I were to go buy all those different pedals/fx, it'd cost as much or more, but again, until the price comes way down on these things, I won't even consider either of them...

LOL@ digital gizmos.

The best thing about digital is that people being sick of it brought back analog.

My Leslie amp will be wheeled out of here at my estate sale.

Jimmy Herring would dis-agree with you on that.The wet side of his live rig relies on the AX ultra for reverb. I don't care for some of the music he plays on, but that fucker has some killer tone. The only way I can stomach the Dead is the Jazz is Dead stuff he plays on.

Jimmy Herring would dis-agree with you on that.The wet side of his live rig relies on the AX ultra for reverb. I don't care for some of the music he plays on, but that fucker has some killer tone. The only way I can stomach the Dead is the Jazz is Dead stuff he plays on.

The first time I saw Herring live was in Boston in 2001, and I was really struck at the time by his use of reverb and how much it contributes to his sound.

I have an MPX-1 and use the reverbs in it mainly as an AUX send and return with my Voyager and what I notice about it is it becomes fatiguing after a while.

I have been looking into the Strymon Blue Sky and Big Sky. The Blue Sky would probably more than cover my needs. I grew up with spring reverbs so I guess that is the sound I like the most. I wish I could afford a Victoria Reverberato to put in front of my Leslie. Deep reverb on slow speed is epic!

Back