Beyer M500 tLC question.

formerlyfzfile

I just picked up a Beyer m500n ribbon mic yesterday.

It is in the original case and has all of the original paperwork with plot in German.

The foam in the case has disintigrated as has the foam windscreen inside the mic grill.

I of course removed the case foam and cleaned the case.

But after removing the foam wind screen in the grill i can see little foam particles inside the capsule and around the magnet and ribbon.

Now I carefully removed the white double mesh screen thing that covers the ribbon and removed most of the particles from that by blowing through it and "sticky fingering" off what I could.

But what is the safest/best way to get the particles out from around the ribbon and the magnet.

Also there is a slight bit of oxidation on the magnets.
The ribbon looks shiny and clean.

How do I remove the oxidation or do I need to????
Is it something that I need to worry about.

The mic seems to sound fine (very good in fact) but I want to clean it up the best I can.

One last question.
I paid 225 for it and dont know how good a deal, if at all, that is but is it worth it to maybe have it modded??

Is it Steven Sank that does the ribbon upgrades???

Its the only ribbon in my locker so far and just from cursory listening I expect it will see quite a bit of use.

Thanks

-mike

You got a pretty good deal.

There is NO safe way to remove particles from around a ribbon and its magnet. If the mic sounds okay, leave it the way it is. The real bad stuff to keep away from ribbons is tiny metal particles. I wouldn't worry too much about the foam.

The Sank modification works fine - but your M500 will not sound the same! If you see yourself acquiring other ribbon mics, I would not mess with this one. If it's going to be your only ribbon, the Sank mod makes more sense.

Thanks

When I think about mods I guess I assume the mic is going to sound different in a better way, but of course these things are subjective so that is good food for thought.

-mike

Have you tried plugging the microphone in yet? How does it sound?

I'm sure you already know that wind of any kind is devastating to ribbon microphones, so you won't be tempted to blow on the ribbon or magnets.

It sounds really good actually.

No no. i definitely didnt blow into the ribbon element.

Just the mesh cover, which I removed 1st.

Thats why I asked though.

I know that ribbons are delicate and sensitive so I dont want to do anything to damage it.

Will the oxidation, or removal of, affect the sound.
There does not appear to be any on the ribbon, only the magnet top.

-mike

formerlyfzfile said:
No no. i definitely didnt blow into the ribbon element.

Will the oxidation, or removal of, affect the sound.
There does not appear to be any on the ribbon, only the magnet top.

-mike

Mike,

The magnet oxidation doesn't affect the sound in any way. If the mic sounds good to your ears I would leave it as it is, even if there are some foam particles left on the ribbon.

Back