Better Dynamics Production Question

Well I tried Gain and that's not it. First Gain is a plug in which I believe affects the over all gain of the track. Looking at the video, after the cuts in the track are made and the region is clicked on, there are little blue boxes in the corners and the region is outlined. When the top line in the region is pulled down (or up) the selected wav region (dynamic range) is raised or lowered. I use samplitude and it works exactly like the video. So, my questions still remains is there a way to do this using Pro Tools???

With the gain plugin you highlight the individual notes you want to raise or lower with the multi tool then adjust it with the gain plugin, which in return adjusts the appearance of the wave form. There is no "easy" way to do it in pro tools. It's a giant flaw. Make sure you save after each good edit though incase you mess up.

the "easy" way is to use volume automation. Much more flexible and easier to undo.
Or use a compressor.

Compresor colors and changes the sound. Volume automation is great until you decide the bass is too loud and you must select all the automation and lower it, since the fader is now no longer available.

Volume automation is great until you decide the bass is too loud and you must select all the automation and lower it, since the fader is now no longer available.

not any harder than deciding the single region that you just changed with your "gain plugin" is too loud or too soft.
just select all your volume automation and trim it down with the trim tool. Or use the trim automation

not any harder than deciding the single region that you just changed with your "gain plugin" is too loud or too soft.
just select all your volume automation and trim it down with the trim tool. Or use the trim automation

If that works for you then keep doing it. Gain works for me

Thanks to all that responded to my question. The only thing I will say is there is always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat (just a saying no inference to mistreating animals intended). I don't want to turn this into a knock on Pro Tools thread but I've not been so impressed with the product much past the really nice GUIs. I have LE 8 and am left to ponder is version 9 that much better and really worth the $250 upgrade charge to get ADC?

Last edited:
Back