Best Way To Mix Vocals, and How To Get The Singer To Go Along With It?!

StrandedLegion

Hello all. I have sort of a dual question, as the title indicates. My band is still in the process of refining our sound. We're trying to get a good mix, and specifically how to get a good level for the vocals. We are trying to do some "live" recordings to be able to hand to club owners when we book shows. Anyway, the problem is that the vocals tend to get overpowered at times, and our mix sounds a little bit muddy. My suspicion is that there is too much low end on the vocals, and this is both bleeding over into the other instruments, and it's hindering the vocals from standing out in the mix. Our singer likes to boost up the vocals at 80Hz. Even with low end boosted about +10, he still thinks there is too much treble. It's my opinion that he would be better off boosting them at around 150Hz or so, and rolling off the 80Hz, and/or boosting them somewhere in the midrange as well. So I have a couple of questions. Am I on the right track regarding the way to equalize the vocals? Also, our singer runs through an effects processor in stereo, so would it be better to boost/cut different frequencies on each channel? If so, which would be best? Lastly, does anyone have any ideas how to convince a singer that jacking up the low end isn't a good idea, (if indeed it isn't)? Thanks for any help you can offer.

Hi,
Wow. I can't think of any time I'd want to boost vocals anywhere near 80hz or even 150hz, never mind by 10db! That seems guaranteed to create a problem.
I mean, quite often I roll vocals off around 200 or something.
If I boost anything, it's usually 1k or higher for presence or clarity.

Of course I don't know the genre and I haven't heard your recordings.
Have you got a clip or two to share? Maybe some feedback from people with trusted monitoring environments would help. :)

Personally I wouldn't record vocal effects in the path unless they were completely integral to the band's unique sound.
If it's just preferred reverbs or delays or something, it's one more thing that can go wrong. I'd prefer to record dry and add that stuff later.
Strokes for folks. :)

Lastly, does anyone have any ideas how to convince a singer that jacking up the low end isn't a good idea, (if indeed it isn't)?

Have his replacement there when he arrives at the next rehearsal.

Normally, and there are exceptions, a vocal mic in a loud band needs to be used up close. That causes proximity effect, a boost in the lows that tapers off by 500-1000Hz. If he's singing with lips on the grill there's already a pretty strong low boost. Like Steen I'm more likely to cut lows than boost, especially way down there.

Could his processing is cutting some lows making him feel the need to replace them ? Just a thought.

If you have to boost *anything* by 10dB, it probably isn't there in the first place. The 'vocal processor' is probably HPF'ing it by default. And if he's going through that on the way in, cut that s**t out and send it as an aux after everything is recorded.

If he can't do that, then yeah, have his replacement ready. :D

Massive Master is quite correct in that if you have to boost anything by 10db, you have some other problem. You're going to have to give a little more info on your signal chain for any other type of help. This sounds like a gear malfunction, or a monitoring issue, or a very very bad singer. In my entire career, I don't think I've ever had to make a 10db boost to a vocal.

if he thinks the vocals have too much treble than cut the freaking treble instead of boosting that low end like an idiot and messing everything up for everybody else. seriously, what is he thinking? but anyways, are we talking about a recording/mix situation or live gigging situation? if it´s recording i´d highly recommend to record his vocals dry without that effects processor. you´ll do yourself a big favor keeping any effects in the box instead of messing stuff up on the way in. if he has trouble to comply, make it clear to him that you are a band, not individual musicians. so your instruments, your vocals, your music needs to work as one unit. having one guy want to stand out does not work here. then he´d be better off as solo artist.

Nothing much in the vocal below 150hz except mud. If you have a graphic eq handy, play a music track through the system, cut all the eq except 150hz, show him whats there, no vocals, actually I recommend all new sound engineers plug a music track through graphic and turn up each frequency and see whats there, an eye opener.

Alan.

Back