Best way to connect outboard gear to Liquid Saffire 56

PaddyGordon

Tomorrow I'll be purchasing a Universal Audio LA-610 and I'll be connecting it through my Liquid Saffire Interface.

The rear of the interface looks like this:
View attachment 71937

And the rear of the Pre looks like this:
http://johnkvintageguitars.homestead.com/rackbassamps/BigOnes/1600-LA610mk2_back.jpg

There is no way to bypass the XLR's pre on the Saffire as far as I'm aware.

Will I be best just using a Female XLR to Balanced Jack Patch Cable to connect them, or would finding '0dB' on the Pre and connecting via XLR be my best bet?

I'm guessing the former would be best as the Jack would be at line level going to a line level input whereas the XLR would be line level going to a Mic level input and could cause distortion etc...

Use the 1/4 inch to connect. Set the volume on that channel to 3.5 -4.5 (that should be unity on those units). Using XLR will not bypass the preamps in the interface. Using 1/4 may (not 100% sure). I've used both and XLR doesn't sound as good to me. So I think 1/4 in uses a separate amp to push the volume so ou pretty much bypass the built in preamps.

You'll have to use a XLR to 1/4 in cable or an adaptor. If you wanna build your own cables I can give you some info and go to redco.com to get supplies. You can build the best cables on the planet for the price of crap and gc.

Back