best vocal mic?

thickfreakness

hey there, I was wondering what would be the best vocal mic to replace a shure sm58. I'm looking for something that amplifys the voice clearly. I think that the sm58 has too much bass in it. I want something that will clearly present my voice.

Do a search. This has been answered a million times.

If you need some more info, let us know budget, type of voice and what kind of music you record

thickfreakness said:
budget should range from 50-200$ I'd say. You can hear our stuff at Roppongi's Ace. Thats basically the range of the voice, a little toned down from live obviously. We recorded with an Audio-Technica AT4033. I'm just looking for something thats similar to that but...made for live gigs.
The Audio Technica AE3300 stage condenser has the same capsule as the AT4033. Do a search on it on this forum and you will find comments I've made on it in live use in the past!

Hope that helps,

Nik

noisedude said:
The Audio Technica AE3300 stage condenser has the same capsule as the AT4033.
On what do you base that statement? If it's true, then the electronics must not be at all similar because the two mics have very different specifications. Different response curve, different impedance, S/N, sensitivity, power requirements, etc. I haven't heard the 3300, but based on the specs I'd expect it to sound quite a bit different from the 4033.

4033 spec sheet

3300 spec sheet

Based on the numbering scheme, I wouldn't doubt that they use the same capsule, but I've never seen a statement from AT that confirmed it.

I do know that the AE5400 uses the same capsule as the old 4054, which is also the same capsule used on the AT4050 (though there are two of them in the 4050). So the AE5400 is another AT mic that is worth looking into. Again, though, despite the use of the same capsule, the mics have rather different characteristics. The 5400 doesn't sound much like a 4054, and certainly not like a 4050.

there is no best mic...it totally depends on the voice...there is no such thing as a "best" anything.

take the suggestions , try them out if you can and choose. what is good for me may suck for you and vice versa...anyone that tells you there is a "best" mic is lying.

Neumann U47. Well, worked for the Beatles anyway. :D

Seriously, as has been said, there's no best vocal mic. There might be a best mic for your voice, but you have to find that by trying mic's.

Tim

Keeping in mind that the AT-4033 is a condensor, not a dynamic, you might want to see if you can track down a used AT-4054. It is a discontinued handheld condensor that uses the AT-4050 capsule and has LF roll-off (built in, not a switch). A very nice and clear live vocal mic. The also discontinued AT-4055 was not rolled off. They go for @$160 or so used. They were both replaced by the AE-5400 which has -- drumroll - a roll off switch. The AE-5400 was about $300 street last time I priced it.

If you are set on a dynamic, you might want to try the Audix OM-5 or OM-6. You should be able to pick one up used for between $100-140. Lots of places carry them so you should be able to try one out somewhere. Alternatively, you might want to see if you can find a used Beyer Soundstar MkII (discontinued) which is a good rock and roll mic. I like the Beyer M88, but it has proximity effect galore, and it doesn't sound like you need that in this instance. I have a thin voice so the M88 works well for me.

good live and studio vocal mic

hello,
sounds like you like the clarity and "hotness" of the condensor mics not the price....i feel that
anyway ...two great options, and i use both of these regularly in both a home studio and live, are Shure beta 87 about $250 - needs phantom power and is a condensor but made for live performance --- this mic is awesome..super hot and clear..
and a beta 57 which i love vocally as well .. much more vocal friendly than the regulat 57 due to the differences in the grille..but much much hotter... $125 generally at a chain music store....
pj.

thickfreakness said:
budget should range from 50-200$ I'd say. You can hear our stuff at Roppongi's Ace. Thats basically the range of the voice, a little toned down from live obviously. We recorded with an Audio-Technica AT4033. I'm just looking for something thats similar to that but...made for live gigs.

Seems like a lot of peeps here missed his last sentence, this is for LIVE GIGS.

We have a EV 767a and like it for live stuff for my wife, even used it in a recording. For (recording) her voice it was a little harsh around 5-6k, but other wise it was servicable.

Back