Best Tubes for Super Twin Reverb???

89gtsleeper

I know very little about tubes, but I am needing to replace the ones I have. I have a 77-80 Super Twin Reverb 2x12 combo. It has 6 - 6l6 power tubes (yes this thing is a monster). I bought the amp from a friend a few years ago. He replaced some, but not all, of the tubes right before I bought it. Going from one side to the other, it has the following mismatched tubes.
Original Fender, then 4 new fender reds, then one groove tubes. I obviously want a matching set to replace all 6. I am looking for a tube that will give me the cleanest possible tone that will not distort as much as other tubes. Price is no concern... I want it to sound a very specific way. Any suggestions???

89gtsleeper said:

I know very little about tubes, but I am needing to replace the ones I have. I have a 77-80 Super Twin Reverb 2x12 combo. It has 6 - 6l6 power tubes (yes this thing is a monster). I bought the amp from a friend a few years ago. He replaced some, but not all, of the tubes right before I bought it. Going from one side to the other, it has the following mismatched tubes.
Original Fender, then 4 new fender reds, then one groove tubes. I obviously want a matching set to replace all 6. I am looking for a tube that will give me the cleanest possible tone that will not distort as much as other tubes. Price is no concern... I want it to sound a very specific way. Any suggestions???

Take it to a shop where they'll let you try a number of different kinds.

89gtsleeper said:

If it has mismatched tubes in the power section,then you should most def.
take it in to the shop and let a good tech install a matched set of tubes and bias the amp.
As far as twins go,I dont think rubys do them justice for clean or dirty.I would
try some JJ'S if it were mine.

jjs???

what about the other 5 tubes on the amp??? I can only find 1 other one searching all places I know to look. Its the 12AT7 which is pretty common. The Othehr ones are really obscure though. Groove tubes seems to have the best selection and they don't have any of these.

89gtsleeper said:
jjs???

what about the other 5 tubes on the amp??? I can only find 1 other one searching all places I know to look. Its the 12AT7 which is pretty common. The Othehr ones are really obscure though. Groove tubes seems to have the best selection and they don't have any of these.
Most 12 ax7 tubes will work.I use sovtek for my 12ax7's.
You can get your tubes from Rivera.They test everything befor it leaves the shop,which is nice,because it is not uncommon for 12ax7's to be microphonic
right out of the box.

Back