Best Sounding CDs Ever?

willied

I thought I would make the opposite of the other thread. :D

So what CDs do you think have the highest sound quality and what not?

I'll start it off with Tantric by Tantric. Clear acoustic guitars, crisp percussion, great sounding bass, everything is balanced well. Or at least I think? :D

What CDs do you guys think demonstrate how a CD should be made?

Robert Plant's Now and Zen. It also happens to be one of the first fully-digital albums made. You probably won't like it if you're into the "loudness wars" stuff because dynamic range was a major selling point back then, and producers weren't afraid to exploit it.

Clayman by In Flames
Ire Works by The Dillinger Escape Plan
Aenima by Tool

and although it's a little overproduced for my liking,
Declaration by Bleeding Through.

For what you're saying, the album might be mixed well, but can be mastered poorly imo.
I think Declaration has "mastering" as nailed as possible, because after every song i kept telling myself "best song on the cd, hands down" and when the next song came on it was "F*** that last song this song is amazing!" That and it is mixed Very well if you ask me.

I think Devin Townsend having produced this album had a little to do with it :D

But I consider a CD well mastered if i can listen to it from front to back consistently without having to skip a song.

For rock, I think Rage Against The Machine's self titled first album is up there.

For reggae, Bob Marley "Legend" and Ziggy Marley "Dragonfly"

ALBUMS
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" soundtrack
"Turn of a Friendly Card" - Alan Parsons Project
"Back to Back" - Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges

SINGLE
"Lay My Love" - J.J. Cale and Brian Eno

Of course, this only counts for the versions I bought. There are so many alternate pressings and re-re-masters and different MP3 rips etc. for everything now, that one never knows just what they are getting anymore unless they are very careful and purposely look for specific mastering/pressing dates from specific labels and distributors.

G.

Im not a huge fan of CD's...always prefered vinyl however my brother has a huge CD collection and Ive started listening to them lately...Ive moved into his house after his divorse and I have a ton of music to listen to and use as reference songs in regards to mixing.

Some of my favorite CD's have mostly been remastered.

Ozzy -The Ultimate Sin

Judas Priest-Turbo Lover...the song turbo lover sounds really good when the volume is cranked.

Just a few examples of how an album should sound to me.

Some of my favorite CD's have mostly been remastered.

Some of them have been remastered so many times that you can hardly discuss them because nobody knows which mastering you're referring to.

Judas Priest-Turbo Lover...the song turbo lover sounds really good when the volume is cranked.

I had that album on cassette back in the day, and the cassette even sounded good.

TOMMY BOLIN'S ~ PRIVATE EYES

Sounds as if it was recorded yesterday! What a beautifully recorded album.
Damn close to forty years ago where the heck did the time go?

:cool:

Engineers: Richard King, Lu Xiao Xing, Xu Gou Qin.

It's really nice to see my name attached to such a fine product, even if it is a different me. I should make him change his name since I was here first. ;)
Don't bother pursuing the name change...just work on the address and phone change in the public records instead, so you can take the credit and get the work offers :D.
Massive Master said:
Only problem is you can hear Yo Yo Ma's whistling nostril through the whole thing.
Yet somehow even his nose whistling sounds more musical than any instrument I attempt to play. Damn hyper-talented people make me sick :(. But he sounds incredible anyway ;).

G.

All 3 of fightstars albums sound great, i like the first one best. Love the drum sound.

Love the guitars on You me at six's new album, drums sound fake and sampled though.

Back