Best Seymour Duncan Pickups for a Squier Affinity Telecaster???

I love the arguments about tone woods on a solid body guitar. Actually there's very minute effect unless you are playing it acoustic. Put your pickups on a Douglas fir 2" x 4" and get the same sound. Tone woods are for acoustics and guitar makers would have you believe they are important in solid bodies where the real reasons for different woods are weight and looks. Can't wait to see the argument on this. :-) Can you really hear a (WOOD) tone vibration coming through a magnetic pickup. Really? BAss paints better and most Fenders are 2 and 3 pieces and when the grain doesn't match, these bodies are painted. Ash, mahogany and others highly grained like Maple are used for Natural and translucent qualities and all for looks and weight.

:laughings:

JZ - anyone with cable TV or the net can know of much more obscure bands than Anna Calvi. I just like watching Jools every Thursday night. Elizser kicks ass - everything else is not nearly as good, but decent.

Posts 98 & 99 - I actually agree a lot.

Post 97 - I'm part-way with you. There was plenty of politics and passion; there just wasn't enough mediums for a country our size. Some college radio - that's about it. Most Americans weren't ready for it or didn't know what to make of it - excluding the far east coast and far west coast. Now, a lot of original punk is in commercials! A lot if it is novelty now. The US is big, but Sirius and steaming makes things more accessible, so people like "bubba" can enjoy any Pixies album, other than Trompe Le Monde while making tender eyes with his pitbull...Rosco. I saw a PBS documentary - it went about 4 nights in a row, that got into all of this. It was a "History of Rock 'n Roll" documentary - the best I have seen. I was impressed how deep they got into the punk genre.

The UK did a lot of great things with original punk (minus that Nazi crap), but I'm convinced it's roots go back to early 60's American music - which is why I mentioned the Tashmen - a mid-western band! When I hear Bird is the Word, I hear the Cramps, the Gun Club and a lot of similar bands.

The Ramones were very important to UK Punk - the Clash and others were admittedly watchful of them. The Ramones sound less like punk to me - but as I understand it, Americans were saying, "what the...?" in 1977. My favorite tune from them is Commando.

I noticed no one said anything about the Chameleons - I love them. My favorite albums are Script of the Bridge and What Does Anything Mean, Basically. Bubba's going go give me another fail and exclaim Skynard rocks while pizza crumbs fall from his mouth to his gut.

Thank you FULLAIT! Just today, I was playing an American Strat along side a cheap bullet with upgraded pickups. The difference to all watching was subtle yet the cost between the two guitars was over a grand plus.
I have heard that bolt-on necks negate some of the tone differences. I'm not the expert, but I do love my SG!

Last edited:
Don't worry about muttley. He's a cranky old butthole and is definitely not used to interacting with females unless he's paying them. But the old curmudgeon does know his guitar stuff. Just shut up, read his post, and skim over the high-and-mighty parts.

That's a whole lot of skimming man
:laughings:

Back