Best SD cardioid condenser, overall

Best SD cardioid condenser, overall.

• MC 012

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • AT 4041

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Neither (specify in post below your preferred mic)

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters
I don't really see whats wrong with that comment "girls with microphones...cool"
girls with microphones are cool...so are hippies with mics....even rednecks with mics are kinda cool

I wonder if another female said "girl with mic...coool" how it would have been taken. maybe a cyber hi-five.

but a man said it and it was taken derogetory. that in itself is kind of sexist. so there ya go

Hi Geekgurl.

I am really love using the AKG Blue Lines Series SD condensers. You can use different polar pattern capsules on an SE 300B output body. They're better than the AT-4041 IMHO. I am waiting for the new C 451B to show up on my doorstep any day now for evaluation. Speaking of that new C 451B, I got to see one in the flesh the other other day at a Sam Ash store around the corner from me. It was a REALLY NICE nice looking microphone and came presented in a classy wooden box too. Cannot wait to hear this one! Soon enough... :) The Blue Line Series mics [such as the C 391B] are really flat response units. These work flawlessly with my Martin acoustic or for even mic'ing amps or simply distance room mic'ing--they're really sweet Geekgurl. I will not part with mine and yes, they also kick ass as drum overheads. Check them out!:D

Well, I guess I'll add my 2 cents worth, and I rarely steer one wrong ;)
This will be the 1st and last time, I think, that I mention this because they are running short EVERYWHERE and are getting extremely hard to find, and I am saving money for them as we speak.
The GT AM-40 small dia. tube mics with changeable capsules, regularly about $700 are on blow out wherever you can find them (most places are sold out, permanantly) for about $250. These should serve you better than most anything I've seen listed so far, and with your Neve pre's (you are the one with the Neve's, right?) then you'll be in pro-ville, which is what you are after, of course... whereas in my opinion, those 603's will leave you just a tad short.
Now, I'll grant you that you'll have a bitch of a time finding much info and opinions on them at all, but if you look hard, in the right places, you will. Jump while the jumpings good, dont look back, thank me later.
Peace.

Oh, you can take a look here- they had pictures of all the closeouts on GT at thier home page last week... the AM40 was sold out, of course.

Hint: Fletcher

My $0.02: I've heard the 4041 only once, briefly. I have the MC012, 603s, they have their uses, but prefer the AKG 460B overall for much warmer, smoother sound, especially in the treble. The AKG 480 now is the current production, but I believe the capsules are the same. Anybody know if the new 480 amp body sounds any different?

One last note, if you decide to get the 4041, 8thstreet has them in bulk for like $100 cheaper each, but no box and shit. I say fuck the box, I dont listen to boxes anyway.

I have a pair of the ECMs which have their uses but I have never regretted buying my Rode NT3,s
I now have 4 and I am always impressed with the job that they do.

What they will not do is close miked vocals as the internal pre clips on the plosives.

And they are built like Battleships.

Tony Wilkes

funnily enough, Rode just came out with a high end NT5, its a small diaphragm condensor. Its funy how there are mics flying out of everyone's arses.

Wow!!

Thanks again for all your suggestions ... I have a lot of mics to demo now ...

As for the whole "sexist" thing, I apologize if I came off too heavy-handed. I'm just gonna offer, for what it's worth some info about me; that is, I really enjoy the company of men ... besides my husband there are many men in my life because I like having them as friends and in fact seem to have more men than women as friends. Based on my experience, I'll be the first to confirm that men and women think differently, and I am for the most part comfortable with those differences.

I don't want to start a political string here at all; I just want you fellow home rec members to know I'm not interested in policing your thoughts, or even your posts about women. I only spoke up here because it was directed at me, and I am pleased to confirm my intial thought, which was that you had benign intentions. As for the guy who said "maybe the poster was female, but you assumed he was male, and that in itself is sexist..." I only have to refer to subsequent posts to prove my point that the comment was taken as locker-room banter rather than a hi-five by more people than just me. I don't know of any women who would use that language to "hi-five" anyway.

Ah, but it's really not too big a deal. I just had to find out if I needed to start signing with a different name. But you've made me feel I don't have to, and I'm glad for that, and other women around here probably are too.

Peace,

gg

hey kristian

Can you give us some info on the NT5 or a link to some info. there is absolutely nothing on Rode's website about it.
Also I'm assuming that if there is a NT5, there must be a NT4?

Mark

The NT4 does look kinda cool. So is it a stereo mic? Looks like you can only get one plug in there, or it the mic bigger than it looks in the pic? Then I suppose it's probably a multi pin connector and comes with its own special lead?

I'm gunna email Rode and get some more info on these babys. I'll be in the market for a new mic next month and this just might change my direction.

Mark

i think that the (old) neumann km84 and the (new) km184 are both mics worthy of checking out if you're in the market for a small diaphram cardioid condenser. i've used a pair of km84s extensivley for drum overheads, almost ANY stringed instrument (guitar, mandolin, piano, violin, string sections) vocals ensembles, and stereo classical recordings with excellent results in each situation.

kristian said:
funnily enough, Rode just came out with a high end NT5, its a small diaphragm condensor. Its funy how there are mics flying out of everyone's arses.

I wonder how the nt5 can be better than the nt3 and at the same time cost less?

i would have to say AKG C391b all the way......super flat, i use mine on anything i can. another often over looked mic is the AKG C535....primarily designed for live vocal use, i have used them with excellent results in the studio on accoustic guitar and drums. not as much low end compared to the 391. i usually use a 391 and a 535 as a pair of overheads.

PinkStrat said:
I am really love using the AKG Blue Lines Series SD condensers.

Man, you don't hear that too often...good call, PinkStrat...
I love those mics and am constantly amazed as to how many people slam them...
Great on anything a small condenser is supposed to be good at...

Bruce
www.bruceharvie.com

Well I'll put my 2¢ in on SD cardioids, since nobody else seems to like one of my favorites - the Earthworks SR77. A pair of 'em are killer on grand piano or as an ORTF pair for acoustic or calssical ensembles. I even got lazy and used one for background vocals (it was already plugged in...) and it was great!
:D

Speaking of SD condensors, would anyone be interested in downloading some clips of a mini-"shootout" I did between the ubiquitous AKG c1000s and the becoming-ever-more ubiquitous MXL 603s? If so, I'll encode those and post them ASAP.

Back