Best SD cardioid condenser, overall

Best SD cardioid condenser, overall.

• MC 012

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • AT 4041

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Neither (specify in post below your preferred mic)

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

geekgurl

Hi folks. After much research I've decided that I need a pair of small-diaphragm cardioid condensers. I don't know very much about these, but I'd like a pair that I can use to record upright piano and overhead drums primarily, and the music style is jazzy/rock/pop ... I don't need dirty or grungy, but clean and well-balanced preferred. Please lend me your thoughts on which of these is the better mic for such applications:

1. MC012

2. AT 4041

3. neither (specify preferred mic)

I don't think you could go wrong with a pair of Marshall MXL603s.

They're pretty wide cardiod, though...

Marshall MXL-603S

"A flat-out winner." - Harvey Gerst

"These look cool." - Chessrock

"It was better than Streetcar Named Desire." - Roger Ebert

Not being a pro, I went with Harvey's recommendation and bought an MXL 603s--quite a bargain for $79, and I haven't been dissapointed. In addition the omni Behringer ECM 8000 can be had for $35-$40 each. I got one of those also and combine it with the 603s on acoustic guitar. Very nice.

Haven' heard the 4041.

AT 4041

I bought a pair of these from 8thstreet.com in October of 2000, and they work wonderfully for me. I have gotten the best results miking my acoustic with one 4041 and a rode nt2. If you want to hear an example:

example: 1
http://www.cdbaby.com/darlingd.html
track: something's wrong

example: 2
track: mistake

The acoustic was recorded with a rode nt2 and an audio technica 4041. The vocals were done with the nt2. everything else was direct.

Hope you enjoy, and I hope this post helped.

daniel
www.swsmusic.net

Last edited:
I am using a pair of Rode NT3s which are great....if I was buying now I'd hang out and see what the Rode NT5s look like...I think they may be out already, actually. At 300/pair (matched...i believe).

But, any of the others mentioned are really good as well...comes down to money I guess. Mines with Rode..for now.

mmm...girls with microphones...soooooo coooool! ;)

Well, considering he put a smiley face at the end, I'm assuming it's a positive thing.

I don't think I am going to be a fan of the ECM8000's untill I either use one in a very flattering accoustic space, or a completely dead accoustic space. It just picks up too much room sound for my taste. That's not always a bad thing, but in my case it is. Unfortuately. :)

cominginsecond said:

I can't decide if you meant this statement in a bone-headed sexist way, or in a cool, girl-positive way. Let's hope the latter.

You can respect a girl for her love of microphones, and also still want to have sex with her.

This is how I interpret the comment ;)

mxl 603s or ecm8000

if you can get a couple mxl 603s for about $100 (i did), or a couple of ecm8000 at about $80, is it really worth it paying more than $400 for a couple of (cardioid only) mc012s?
btw, i'm getting really good results with the 603s on drums and acoustic guitar.

adriano

postalblue, in my opinion no it is not worth it to pay that much more...but the poster asked for "best" without any mention to cost or budget and the 3 capsule Oktava is IMO, the best.....had there benn any concern about budget, i woulda went with the 603's...ecm8000's had it been for just overheads........

Hi everyone. Thanks for the input. I could've done without this though ....

wes480 said:
mmm...girls with microphones...soooooo coooool! ;)

I didn't think twice about putting reference in my username to the fact that I am female, as I know a number of women in the recording field out here where I live (left coast), and no one thinks twice about it as either being a cool novelty OR something to ridicule. Maybe I'm just living in a bubble or something ... I don't know what spirit your comment was made in, Wes, but I don't see any innuendos directed at users with names like "Doughboy" or whatever to suggest their sex needs to be noted when talking about equipment... there are, as we all can imagine I'm sure, analogies that can be made about men and mics that I really don't need to spell out. However you meant it, your comment is sexist and not too cool, bud, sorry to say ...

If you're all still with me, I do have a follow-up question back on the subject of recording, and the reason I so like to hang out on this board ...

I've heard that Oktavas are inconsistent mics, that it's either difficult to get a reasonably matched pair or expensive to. Can I trust these mics enough to seriously consider demoing them?

I'm changing my name to something that notes my sex needs....

However you meant it, your comment is sexist and not too cool, bud, sorry to say ...

Geekgurl,

I would just like to stand up on behalf of at least most of the guys around here. I can asure you that the comments made were in fun. I knew this was post was going there though as soon as I read those comments. Guys can't help it sometimes I think. They just get over excited or something. My bass player....respectful guy all the way around....but tell him a band has got a female bass player and he's a fan for life....don't know why. Ok...I'll admit I was the same way when I saw International Noise Conspiracy...the fact the keyboard player was so cool and "un-girly" really struck me...why should it strike us as odd that chics kick ass? I don't know:rolleyes:

Maybe it's because, sad to say, there seems to be less female presence in the industry or on these boards so it almost seems a novelty in a weird way that shakes things up. Not referring to anyone here, but I notice on a lot of boards guys'll ask, "why are there no girls posting here" and such but never fail to drive away the few who DO post.

OK...I didnt mean for this to be long or political...I just wanted to say that in general guys around here are good guys and mean no disrespect as I'm sure a female's presence is as equally appreciated as a male's. Try to take it all with a grain of salt and don't be afraid to give em the old smack down once in while if they need it:D

MICROPHONES:

From experience...I can say the MXL 603s is the way to go in it's price range. You could go test the Oktavas somewhere and if you get a good pair, they are sweet but are they so much sweeter than the MXL that it's worth the hassle? I don't think so. The MXL is more consistant, it seems. I got turned on to them because a very large studio in my area uses them and they truly have a place even next to the super model mics in the cabinet.

I've never tried the 4041 but isn't that a different price range? I've heard much good about but I guess it's down to what you want to spend versus what you get. I thought those were better than 300 bucks a piece...I could be wrong though. I know the MXL is about 75 a peice. Now if I had the extra dough I'd probably be leaning towards checking out the 4041 just cuz I'm goofy like that:cool:

Hope this helps....something;)

heylow
Rock Jedi/Indie Snob
www.heylowsoundsystem.net

if you aren't really experienced, it wont matter which you use, as you'll get more of a difference in sound by placement then mic. Each mic will sound different in comparison with the next, especially omni vs. cardiod.

Mics i've heard good results from:
AT4041, MC012, MXL 603, AKG 451.

Mics i've used and liked:
Crown CM700, AKG C1000.

You really won't go wrong with any of these, but price is a big difference. And expect what you pay for more or less. Two times the price does not equal two times better sound. The 603s are the cheapest per pair, everything else will be $300-$800 per pair.

geekgurl said:
Hi everyone. Thanks for the input. I could've done without this though ....

I didn't think twice about putting reference in my username to the fact that I am female, as I know a number of women in the recording field out here where I live (left coast), and no one thinks twice about it as either being a cool novelty OR something to ridicule. Maybe I'm just living in a bubble or something ... I don't know what spirit your comment was made in, Wes, but I don't see any innuendos directed at users with names like "Doughboy" or whatever to suggest their sex needs to be noted when talking about equipment... there are, as we all can imagine I'm sure, analogies that can be made about men and mics that I really don't need to spell out. However you meant it, your comment is sexist and not too cool, bud, sorry to say ...

Ouch, havn't looked at this thread in a couple of days...didn't realize I had caused a stir. Well, i can assure you I meant nothing by it...just some dumbass comment. Honestly I do not know too many girls who are into the recording thing...and it's not that I consider it a "novelty" - but I do think it is cool. I'd much rather have some girls to talk to about recording where I live than old fat guys. (no offense!)

Anyways, sorry my comment offended you. I'll be the first to admit it was out of place and uncalled for - I didn't really think about it. just happened to catch the nick and added a trademark stupidass comment at the end. Again, sorry and I hope you find the mic you are looking for.

Wow! Lots of recommendations here, thats a good thing.
I'll through my hat into the ring and say have a look at the
Shure SM81. I have used a pair of these to record piano and the results, while not as stellar as using a pair of LD Condensers, were still very palatable. If you're interested, I'll post a short clip of these mics used to record a grand piano. They run about $345 a piece and are a fantastic enhancement to ANY mic locker. You asked for clean and well balanced? The SM81 will deliver in that capacity.

Post Script- I'm not so sure the remark was as sexist as it was just plain stupid.

Back