Best Processor for RE20/webcasting?

BD1480

Voice guy with the makings of a nice studio. Currently on 3 webcasting stations (previous national voice talent) and I want to sweeten the current mic and processing. The set up is EV Re20 with Lewitt Connect 6 which I like. Editing software is dated but quite nice. I am looking for more presence from the mic. Sound is currently good but I know it can be sweeter. I want to freshen the sonic quality and I am just not sure of myself in this digital age. Not gonna dump my current set up- just want to enhance what I currently have-if I can. Suggestions?

We need to hear an example of what you want to improve. The snag is we don't know what your words mean?
Presence, Sweeter, freshen, enhance.
They sort of point, but are not precise. What I mean is that presence, in my useage means content around 4-5K. Sweeter I have no idea about, and the last two I don't get at all - freshen, as in change and perk up? Enhance means make better, so that leaves us guessing what it sounds like to start with - see the snag? You know what you have, what you want and need suggestions, but we might be guessing totally wrong - maybe you current 'tone' is bassy, boomy and really in your face, or like my use of my RE20, far more distant and natural?

RE20 mics have a very 'popular' tone at the moment, but they're not bright mics - people often refer to them as warm sounding, which I do understand. They are also very particular about the user's voice. They really don't work for everyone.

Slap up a little clip and maybe it will make more sense.

Hi @BD1480
I agree with Rob. We'd really do better with a few audio clips demonstrating the problem.
If you have any links to other material you're comparing to or aiming at that'd be very helpful too. (y)

Rob and Steenamaroo: Thank you for your responses....this is just a sample of a current vt for your review. Thank you! and I look forward to you thoughts

Attachments

• DMNOV2306.mp3
    876.8 KB
Thanks for sharing.
That clip sounds very good - Nice and clear, no obvious issues with hiss or noise.
It does sound a little bit wooly to me, though - Almost like an old D12 or something.

What's your processing like? Do you have eq on there, or a de esser?
I don't hear anything that I'd call a problem but I'm sure I could find a few frequencies to notch down a little, just for a bit more clarity.

Thanks for sharing.
That clip sounds very good - Nice and clear, no obvious issues with hiss or noise.
It does sound a little bit wooly to me, though - Almost like an old D12 or something.

What's your processing like? Do you have eq on there, or a de esser?
I don't hear anything that I'd call a problem but I'm sure I could find a few frequencies to notch down a little, just for a bit more clarit
Thanks..All I am currently using is the Lewitt Connect 6...straight..nothing else...love this little thing but I think it could sound a little brighter...not 100% sure if I need anything else but more ears couldn't hurt

If that's the raw recording with no manipulation at all, I'd be very happy.
Maybe just add a software equaliser in your editing suite and have a play around.

You might find scanning with a very narrow notch and reasonably high gain reveals some ringing frequencies that you'd like to notch out a bit.
Of course more or less any frequency is going to sound harsh and strange when artificially boosted but if you listen for resonance/ringing that can be a great clue.

Alternatively you might just find that a very broad Q (width) and gently approach works, maybe very slightly reducing in and around the 1k area, or raising in the higher frequencies.

Very very little can make a huge difference.

Maybe just add a software equaliser in your editing suite and have a play around.

You might find scanning with a very narrow notch and reasonably high gain reveals some ringing frequencies that you'd like to notch out a bit.
Of course more or less any frequency is going to sound harsh and strange when artificially boosted but if you listen for resonance/ringing that can be a great clue.

Alternatively you might just find that a very broad Q (width) and gently approach works, maybe very slightly reducing in and around the 1k area, or raising in the higher frequencies.

Agreed..my experience says the sound quality is guite good. There is a sweet spot on the re20 that is pretty forgiving but just a very slight adjustment might be the key..there are a number of ways I can approach this..tweeking the Connect 6 would be best, least $ option... so I will check into this option first...thanks for the time and input! Much appreciated.

I've listened on speakers and on decent headphones and like the others, I think it's fine - but I have noticed something a little odd?
There is a very defined drop in energy between about 4K and just under 6K - I tried just sticking a bit of boost in that area and it perked up. It isn't like mic natural EQ, it's quite a defined cut?

I listen to lots of US audio books, and I'd have no issue with the tone of the voice, and your voice is clear and precise - I don't hear anything that concerns me.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 20.15.57.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 20.15.57.png
    3 MB · Views: 4

i do appreciate the information...I am not quite sure how defined the Lewitt can be in the eq area..it is set pretty nice for the most part and I agree - a very little skosh could make a big difference but go the wrong way and oops. Any particular software equalizer you would recommend?

Last edited:
i do appreciate the information...I am not quite sure how defined the Lewitt can be in the eq area..it is set pretty nice for the most part and I agree - a very little skosh could make a big difference but go the wrong way and oops.
Any particular software equalizer you would recommend?

I've listened on speakers and on decent headphones and like the others, I think it's fine - but I have noticed something a little odd?
There is a very defined drop in energy between about 4K and just under 6K - I tried just sticking a bit of boost in that area and it perked up. It isn't like mic natural EQ, it's quite a defined cut?

I listen to lots of US audio books, and I'd have no issue with the tone of the voice, and your voice is clear and precise - I don't hear anything that concerns me.
rob...thank you very much! I have a few narrations under my belt but those were just as analog was transitioning to all digital (dat tape etc) so your input is most welcome.

i do appreciate the information...I am not quite sure how defined the Lewitt can be in the eq area..it is set pretty nice for the most part and I agree - a very little skosh could make a big difference but go the wrong way and oops. Any particular software equalizer you would recommend?
No trouble.
I'm not familiar with your hardware but pretty much any eq that gives you gain, frequency, and adjustable q, with at least 2 bands, is likely to be fine.
Most editing software will have something built in.

No trouble.
I'm not familiar with your hardware but pretty much any eq that gives you gain, frequency, and adjustable q, with at least 2 bands, is likely to be fine.
Most editing software will have something built in.
I will start with Lewitt....then look into other options if needed...You and Rob have been a great help to me. I much appreciate it. btw - nice website!

Thanks..All I am currently using is the Lewitt Connect 6...straight..nothing else...love this little thing but I think it could sound a little brighter...not 100% sure if I need anything else but more ears couldn't hurt
Get a different mic - like a Neumann TLM 102 - any EQ or enhancements are not going to brighten your speaking voice.

Get a different mic - like a Neumann TLM 102 - any EQ or enhancements are not going to brighten your speaking voice.
Thanks for the suggestion! I have used neumann's in the past..for sure great mics! I will keep that in mind if I get a few more gig's or vo opportunities as they are pricey for my budget.

I respect the opinion and I'm not saying it's not valid but I disagree based on what I heard.
Your audio is, in my opinion, just fine. Personally I'd eq to taste but I wouldn't be heading to the mic locker to find something better.

I respect the opinion and I'm not saying it's not valid but I disagree based on what I heard.
Your audio is, in my opinion, just fine. Personally I'd eq to taste but I wouldn't be heading to the mic locker to find something better.
Many more expenses if I get to go that far again ...seems like a long way from the glory days of imaging work. A better mic is out there in the future *maybe* - but for now, I like my current set up - yet the Lewitt is still pretty new and the Re20 is an old workhorse that I love. I am thankful for the input on all fronts....

Back